Anyone lost TOO MUCH weight? Time to build it back up a bit.

Bonus

Cannot agree with you here - 100 calories from a jam doughnut is simply not the same as 100 calories from a stick of fatty biltong, which isn’t the same as 100 calories from a lean piece of chicken nor 100 calories from a serving of steamed kale. Each type of food provokes a different metabolic response in your body, and therefore a different effect on weight gain or loss.

Counting calories is a complete waste of time IMHO.

First off, the metabolic equation follows the laws of thermodynamics. Energy HAS to go somewhere, and it terms of energy 100 cal is 100 cal. Secondly, thats exactly why i mentioned the macros. I never said eat your daily allowance all from doughnuts. The food you eat will affect your hormones (insulin as mentioned before, i agree), and that will in turn affect your bmr. So eating like **** will slow your metabolism and your maintenance calories will drop. Noone can argue against cal in vs out, its a law of physics. If an overweight person says they eat almost nothing and dont drop weight, theyre either lying, or their bmr is really low from either genetics, current diet, long term metabolic damage, or a combination of the above. If anyone argues that, its simple - have you ever seen a fat jew in the concentration camps? (not trying to be offensive at all, just using it as an example)

You don't have to track calories i agree, its very tough to maintain. Just eat using common sense, limit sugar as much as possible and stick to healthy fats, low gi slow releasing carbs to avoid insulin spikes, and keep your protein nice and high. And hit the gym.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, the metabolic equation follows the laws of thermodynamics. Energy HAS to go somewhere, and it terms of energy 100 cal is 100 cal. Secondly, thats exactly why i mentioned the macros. I never said eat your daily allowance all from doughnuts. The food you eat will affect your hormones (insulin as mentioned before, i agree), and that will in turn affect your bmr. So eating like **** will slow your metabolism and your maintenance calories will drop. Noone can argue against cal in vs out, its a law of physics. If an overweight person says they eat almost nothing and dont drop weight, theyre either lying, or their bmr is really low from either genetics, current diet, long term metabolic damage, or a combination of the above. If anyone argues that, its simple - have you ever seen a fat jew in the concentration camps? (not trying to be offensive at all, just using it as an example)

You don't have to track calories i agree, its very tough to maintain. Just eat using common sense, limit sugar as much as possible and stick to healthy fats, low gi slow releasing carbs to avoid insulin spikes, and keep your protein nice and high. And hit the gym.

I think you two are actually arguing the same side of the point.

We all have a basal metabolic rate. Add life to that. Add exercise to that. Thats your calorie output. If you eat less than that you're going to lose weight and depending on the activity and/or diet, the deficit will show. If you eat more than that.. its going to accumulate somewhere.

Its up to you to decide how you want to add those calories in. Thats where diet comes in and also the balancing of macros. Its all up to you, how will you feel today, next year, in ten years, is the diet sustainable, is it feasible, does it promote overall health, goals, etc etc.

Join the gorillas in the weight lifting pit at the local gym

And eat like a champion before and during those power up sessions. ????

Heavier slow reps ????????

Not the lean mean cyclist formula of light and many reps

Yeah, the good old bodybuikding diet of a crap ton of clean food always works when trying to put on muscle. When I was really into gyming a couple years back my diet consisted of a 5000kcal daily intake with 2hrs weights (heavy and low reps) combined with 1hr of low intensity cardio per day.

It's time consuming, but it works.... got up to 98kg @ 8% fat (1.78m).

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Yeah, the good old bodybuikding diet of a crap ton of clean food always works when trying to put on muscle. When I was really into gyming a couple years back my diet consisted of a 5000kcal daily intake with 2hrs weights (heavy and low reps) combined with 1hr of low intensity cardio per day.

It's time consuming, but it works.... got up to 98kg @ 8% fat (1.78m).

Compete? Hope so, thats a k@k load of (lean) weight on that size frame

You may want to read up on what hypoglycaemia is.

Hint, if your blood sugar drops below a certain point you die.

This is because your brain REQUIRES glucose or lactate as it's primary fuel source.

Clearly you are not a physiologist - unless you are a diabetic, you won't easily suffer from hypoglycemia to the extent that you will come close to collapse - let alone death - unless you are SIGNIFICANTLY starved.

And your body can produce what the brain needs from other metabolic process than just ingestion of carbohydrate.

start doing some specific exercises with a view building up some muscle mass. I want to be lean, not thin . . . .

If anyone on here, who's "middle aged", has been through the same thing I'd be interested to hear what you did and how it went. . . .

Cheers.

I use a body weight based exercise set I bought - it works well for general toning and strength - but motivation to actually do it is harder to find.

What I am trying currently is just throwing a bigger bike around on a dirt track... 108kg of bike... which is pretty close to double me...

As of today im 12kg down since January this year. Was 94kg and now 82kg.

All I did was cut out sweets everyday, no sugar in my coffee, drink more water and dont eat carbs after lunch time.

Increased beer consumption.

On top of that I stopped being lazy and started riding my bikes more, average about 150km a week.

Im happy, its easier to get up them hills and carting around less weight is great.

Problem is none of my pants fit me anymore, its expensive from a clothing aspect.

I had a weird dream the other night I was skeletal.. Was very odd. I need to look at my sugar intake though because I'm at that age where things pile on to the spare tyre very easily. At the end of October I was around 76kg (6ft), but that was at the peak of trying for a marathon at the same time. Since then I have crept up to 78/79 just by not doing much running and maintaining my diet

Compete? Hope so, thats a k@k load of (lean) weight on that size frame

I never quite got the urge to oil up and stand on a stage, but my training partner was SA physique champ for 2 years...

Also struggle like hell to put on weight. Was between 66 and 68kg for about 15 years...I'm 1.79m 

One day I said to hell with it, and started eating about 4000 Calories a day. It was hell. Being constantly full and force feeding your every meal, I could only manage to do it for 4 weeks. Gained about 4kg in 4 weeks and started training for my first Ironman 70.3 shortly after that. Used Biogen's Mass Gain during my training and gained another 2kg.

I'm now very happy at 74kg, but it's still a struggle to keep my weight up.

Edited by Wil6

Also struggle like hell to put on weight. Was between 66 and 68kg for about 15 years...I'm 1.79m 

One day I said to hell with it, and started eating about 4000 Calories a day. It was hell. Being constantly full and force feeding your every meal, I could only manage to do it for 4 weeks. Gained about 4kg in 4 weeks and started training for my first Ironman 70.3 shortly after that. Used Biogen's Mass Gain during my training and gained another 2kg.

I'm now very happy at 74kg, but it's still a struggle to keep my weight up.

None of that sounds good for your health at all.

The problem with weight gainers is the fact that none of it is lean. fact is that the amount of carbs in these mixes vs the pure protein type shakes are considerably more so all you gain in the end is fat. The problem often is that you cannot consume the amount of carbs contained in these and then your body turns it to waste or fat - either way it is a waste nobody cycles to be fat.

Gaining lean muscle mass is a total different ball game to just picking up weight in body fat. Without trying very hard anyone can gain fat in short amounts of time.

Edited by s14phoenix

None of that sounds good for your health at all.

The problem with weight gainers is the fact that none of it is lean. fact is that the amount of carbs in these mixes vs the pure protein type shakes are considerably more so all you gain in the end is fat. The problem often is that you cannot consume the amount of carbs contained in these and then your body turns it to waste or fat - either way it is a waste nobody cycles to be fat.

Gaining lean muscle mass is a total different ball game to just picking up weight in body fat. Without trying very hard anyone can gain fat in short amounts of time.

I did not say I used weight gainers to pick up the first 4kg, it was picked up by eating big portions and often. 

The weight gainer I used was just to sustain my weight during intense training for 4 months. The 2kg I picked up from the "weight gainers" was from building muscle in my upper body from swimming. 

Lots of people have lived for many years without any carbohydrates in the diet and with zero negative side effects.

Who are these people?

You may want to read up on what hypoglycaemia is.

Hint, if your blood sugar drops below a certain point you die.

This is because your brain REQUIRES glucose or lactate as it's primary fuel source.

Yes, the research, which was sponsored by Coca Cola is very clear on this

Whaaaaaaat? https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/this-is-what-you-have-to-eat-to-compete-in-the-tour-de-france-182775

High intensity needs carbs.

Medium/Low intensity sure for houra and hours and hours sure - your body has time to break down fats and proteins but you can't go fast without the carbs.

I dunno hey. A proper fat-adapted athlete can metabolise 1.5g of fat per minute (or thereabouts). And seeing that fat has 9 calories/g and carbs has 4/g, you're chomping a lot of carbs to keep up, and the ghost of TummyD's dump will haunt you.

but each to his own hey. Also check out Shawn Baker who's setting world records in indoor rowing on a carnivore diet (read: no carbs) and that's seriously high intensity

Get a coach and lift some weights. Unfortunately genetics play a big role in how your body reacts to weight training. No matter if you gain weight or not, lifting will still make you stronger. You obviously also need to eat enough of the good stuff. 

Edited by Ettas