Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

Have you discussed this with the doc?

Are you considering reporting that doctor to the health professionals council for a bit of probing? there's a 100 thousand reasons to look a bit closely.

I will have to take it up.

Just need to make 100% sure, but think I need to move to another oncologist.

Only found the information last night on the KRAS detail, but now my wife says I am KRAS Negative, but I am sure Doc said Positive

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Real sorry to read that things are not coming together, I know this sounds cliche but if the doc is not doing the right stuff by you, keep on searching. It is your body and your life and there has to be another doc out there that can get you the treatment you need.

Time is of utmost importance here, all the best

Snip

Hi Cois, I think you shouldn't be scared to change doctors if you feel that way inclined. They are professionals and should not take it personally.

Cancer is stubborn and sometimes requires change of protocols, that is also standard practice. They changed my wife's numerous times.

We even sent away samples to Europe for genetic testing/markers which they then use to determine which treatment has a better chance for success. It was hellishly expensive at R40k.

All in all, keep your chin up. There are many battles to win a war.

You are in our thoughts and prayers still.

Hi Cois, I think you shouldn't be scared to change doctors if you feel that way inclined. They are professionals and should not take it personally.

Cancer is stubborn and sometimes requires change of protocols, that is also standard practice. They changed my wife's numerous times.

We even sent away samples to Europe for genetic testing/markers which they then use to determine which treatment has a better chance for success. It was hellishly expensive at R40k.

All in all, keep your chin up. There are many battles to win a war.

You are in our thoughts and prayers still.

Nice words of encouragement for you Cois, vasbyt, stay strong and you will endure these tough times and come out the other side healed.

Hi

It's a kick in the balls for sure, but there's bound to be setbacks, and that's what it is - a setback.

Time to re group and keep fighting.

If you have lost faith in your Oncologist, by all means change, that's your prerogative and if you feel he's not fully behind you then probably a good idea.

A change in treatment is not uncommon at all. I had 3 variations which were tailored as I responded.

It's OK too, to be a bit down and disappointed, just try and leave that when it's time is over, then look ahead with a clear focus.

I know that's easy to say from this side, but I've been where you are now and I know you can do it.

Sending you power and prayers.

Starting a new treatment plan tomorrow.

Went to the treatment centre to sort out a few things like medication that was ordered for me, and the medical aid paid for it, but I did not get the medication and the doctor stopped the treatment with the medication. So had to go there and explain to them why we are not going to pay R23000 for an IV I did not receive.

Spoke to the pharmacy and the lady said they were not informed about the treatment change, but they will have the new treatment ready for me tomorrow morning.

So will have to suck it up and take it like a man.

Starting a new treatment plan tomorrow.

Went to the treatment centre to sort out a few things like medication that was ordered for me, and the medical aid paid for it, but I did not get the medication and the doctor stopped the treatment with the medication. So had to go there and explain to them why we are not going to pay R23000 for an IV I did not receive.

Spoke to the pharmacy and the lady said they were not informed about the treatment change, but they will have the new treatment ready for me tomorrow morning.

So will have to suck it up and take it like a man.

The bill should be credited, or if they insist on payment then your account should be credited with the amount paid surely?

The bill should be credited, or if they insist on payment then your account should be credited with the amount paid surely?

We hope that it will be the case.

We asked the medical aid to stop the payment as well.

So will see with the next invoice what the tried doing or if they got it sorted

Had to visit one of my Chemo Buddies in hospital. His white blood cells count took a huge dive on Friday. He was admitted on Saturday.

He started to show the classic cancer face. I have seen him two weeks ago and today I saw another man and not oom Frank.

It was one of those visits that the nurse said I could see him for 10 minutes, but just because I came from chemo. But I could not hold back the tears as I walked out the room.

It is hard to say, but having to see the ugly face of cancer can break one.

Sorry to hear, it's hard to see someone like that

Had to visit one of my Chemo Buddies in hospital. His white blood cells count took a huge dive on Friday. He was admitted on Saturday.

He started to show the classic cancer face. I have seen him two weeks ago and today I saw another man and not oom Frank.

It was one of those visits that the nurse said I could see him for 10 minutes, but just because I came from chemo. But I could not hold back the tears as I walked out the room.

Cois my current project has me doing surveys in a hospital .... seeing those patients is an emotional roller coaster.

Often you can SEE in a second if they are getting better, or expecting the worst.

Thinking of you OFTEN Cois !!  Hope and pray that your health takes a turn for the better !!