Safety on the roads ... and cyclists behaviour...

ChrisF

Quite honestly, as a cyclist, your 'duty' to you and your family is to get back home safely. So arguing about whether cars should stay clear of you or complaining about your right to use the road is pointless. If you cannot ride a route that is safe (attacks / crappy shoulder, etc), then just don't take that route. Or accept that we live where we do and deal with the increased risk in getting hurt.

Exactly.  So, narrow the odds and ride responsibly even if you are in the right. Do yourself and your family a favour.

I see too many flash designer cyclists on the road everyday thinking they own not only the road but the cycling community as well.

And then there is an accident........

And we all know what whose side we are on when somebody gets hit by a vehicle, even if they "could not see", on the phone, texting, drunk, narrow yellow line  or whatever.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This weekend a group of cyclists were in the yellow lane and hit by a driver, lucky nobody was killed. 

That dude smelt of booze and didnt even thought he hit them, the dent on his fender says otherwise. He is a cyclist as well. 

Say what you want about cyclists obeying the road rules, its not going to stop cyclists deaths on the road.

Cyclists ride in the yellow line as a courtesy. We are road users too, and have the right to use the entire lane. We chose not to because we know that we'll probably be run over, or abused by motorists that think we shouldn't be on the road.

In this situation, substitute the cyclists for a digger-loader, or a donkey cart, or a tractor towing a trailer full of grapes. I'm quite sure that there aren't entire forum threads devoted to donkey cart drivers being d!cks, or digger-loader drivers flirting with death, or tractor drivers giving all tractor drivers a bad name. Cyclists should be no different.

Until motorists and cyclists see each other as equals and respect each other, threads like this will exist.

(P.S. I'm a cyclist, but I'm also a motorist, and I, if I don't catch myself, I can be a d!ck doing either. I always try to put myself in the position of the other person, be it a motorist or a cyclist, and do what they would expect I'd do)

This weekend a group of cyclists were in the yellow lane and hit by a driver, lucky nobody was killed. 

That dude smelt of booze and didnt even thought he hit them, the dent on his fender says otherwise. He is a cyclist as well. 

Say what you want about cyclists obeying the road rules, its not going to stop cyclists deaths on the road.

So you are ok with people breaking rules/laws until someone steals your bike ?

Rules should be obeyed => FULL STOP

Exactly - the number of cyclists killing motorists disgusts me. When will the carnage end? Our roads will be super safe once cyclists sort their sh!t out!!!

Bike is insured, no worries there. 

People should stop killing other road users, regardless of rules.

The rules are not working obviously.

Exactly - the number of cyclists killing motorists disgusts me. When will the carnage end? Our roads will be super safe once cyclists sort their **** out!!!

Agreed, once motorists know that every cyclist in Cape Town stopped at all red lights and stop streets, they will start not using their phones while driving and stop drinking and driving. Until then, the cyclist deaths will carry on. 

Quite honestly, as a cyclist, your 'duty' to you and your family is to get back home safely. So arguing about whether cars should stay clear of you or complaining about your right to use the road is pointless. If you cannot ride a route that is safe (attacks / crappy shoulder, etc), then just don't take that route. Or accept that we live where we do and deal with the increased risk in getting hurt.

As its your duty, on tight roads then riders are to ride in the middle of the road so as to stop retarded drivers trying to overtake when its not safe. Totally agreed

It doesn't matter who's right and who's wrong when you're dead. Make sure you look after yourself. If the road condition is too poor to ride in a safe place, ride where it IS safe, don't ride or get a bike you can ride in poor conditions. The choice is yours. Your life is yours. Be responsible. Do not abdicate responsibility for your life to anyone else.

When other people make mistakes and cause accidents and impact your life, that's a different conversation and is to do with their actions.

IMHO

TL:DR - probably victim blaming.

Don't be lazy, read the thread before commenting. If you see no fault on cyclists' part in OP's post,then you're part of the problem. Your mentality seems to be "Whether we're following rules or not doesn't matter, all that matters is that everyone else follows the rules"

Agreed, once motorists know that every cyclist in Cape Town stopped at all red lights and stop streets, they will start not using their phones while driving and stop drinking and driving. Until then, the cyclist deaths will carry on. 

I am not saying that cyclist adhering to the rules will reduce the death toll. 

But just because someone else does it, does not give us the right to do the same.

Cyclist should behave on the bike or in the car.

Bike is insured, no worries there. 

People should stop killing other road users, regardless of rules.

The rules are not working obviously.

The rules are desinged to assist people to stop killing other road users.

Why else did they make texting and driving illegal?

Don't be lazy, read the thread before commenting. If you see no fault on cyclists' part in OP's post,then you're part of the problem. Your mentality seems to be "Whether we're following rules or not doesn't matter, all that matters is that everyone else follows the rules"

Again - I fail to see what the problem in the original post is? The fact that 3 riders were in the middle of the lane?

If it was just one would it have been ok? Or if the 3 riders were in single file, is that ok?

I love to disagree with Pure Savage just for the sake of it, but he's right on this point. Saying that a cyclist (or cyclists) is in the wrong and that's why he'll get run over is 100% victim blaming. The onus rests on the motorist behind to drive in a safe and responsible manner. The End.

Again - I fail to see what the problem in the original post is? The fact that 3 riders were in the middle of the lane?

If it was just one would it have been ok? Or if the 3 riders were in single file, is that ok?

I love to disagree with Pure Savage just for the sake of it, but he's right on this point. Saying that a cyclist (or cyclists) is in the wrong and that's why he'll get run over is 100% victim blaming. The onus rests on the motorist behind to drive in a safe and responsible manner. The End.

So you want to the motorist to obey the rules but cyclist dont have to ?

Cyclist should adhere to road rules full stop. 

The debate weather cyclist adhereing to rules stay alive lonter is a different point which I dont feel like having. 

Everyone that uses the road, from donkie cart to cyclist or even the icecreamvan  MUST obey all road rules.