UCI DH World Cup 2019 Season

Hairy

It's crazy how the Frenchies (particularly Pierron last year) kicked off a nuclear arms race in elite men's DH. Guys are having to go 110% all the time just to have a prayer of keeping up. 

Something that really struck me last night is Bruni's body position on the bike. He'd hit massive braking bumps at mach chicken and there'd be barely any movement in his body. He holds position and the bike just does it's thing beneath him. He never seems to be wrestling with his bike. 

One other thing that stands out about Bruni on his bike, for me at least, is how big he looks on it. like his bars are too narrow or the frame sizing is smaller than fashion.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thing that stands out about Bruni on his bike, for me at least, is how big he looks on it. like his bars are too narrow or the frame sizing is smaller than fashion.

Those Demo's are pretty short by modern standards. Bruni's always got a bit of an arched back, even on flatter sections, where the guys on the long bikes have slightly straighter backs. 

Whether that's down to the bikes, riding style or a combination thereof, I don't know. 

M29 sales must be no existing right now :D

:devil:  I was waiting for the discussion to turn that way. Hell, i've been waiting for team rumors to reveal gwin hit the team-eject button again. I mean damn, all that hype about recovering and focussing on worlds came to what exactly? lolwutever.

Wonder what the YT DH bikes sales looked like while Gwin was on the bike vs what it is now?

I don't think Gwins presence at YT will have had a material effect on sales. 

:devil:  I was waiting for the discussion to turn that way. Hell, i've been waiting for team rumors to reveal gwin hit the team-eject button again. I mean damn, all that hype about recovering and focussing on worlds came to what exactly? lolwutever.

His 2019 season can best be described as 'a damp squib'. 

He can't touch Bruni or Pierron. Don't know how he'd work to get to their level. 

Those Demo's are pretty short by modern standards. Bruni's always got a bit of an arched back, even on flatter sections, where the guys on the long bikes have slightly straighter backs. 

Whether that's down to the bikes, riding style or a combination thereof, I don't know. 

IMO Bruni, Pieron and Gwin are the 3 guys in the best shape of the pro's. And for me that shows in their results.

The day's of getting sh!tfaced and still getting on the podium are over IMO. The same thing happened in Motocross with the arrival of Ricky Carmichael and Aldon Baker. Gwin brought that training across to DH and the other guys have had to follow suit.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

He can't touch Bruni or Pierron. Don't know how he'd work to get to their level. 

He cant even touch Minnaar. Hell, I really thought he had it yesterday with that 2 second lead

IMO Bruni, Pieron and Gwin are the 3 guys in the best shape of the pro's. And for me that shows in their results.

The day's of getting sh!tfaced and still getting on the podium are over IMO. The same thing happened in Motocross with the arrival of Ricky Carmichael and Aldon Baker. Gwin brought that training across to DH and the other guys have had to follow suit.

There's truth to what you're saying, but he's still not on their pace, despite how FIT AF he is. 

He'll need to figure this out over for 2020. It'd be foolish to completely write him off, but stuff just hasn't been gelling for him for over a year. 

post-62668-0-94485600-1567421040_thumb.png

pure speculation here, but to be fair, i don't think his issues are physical. As Duane pointed out, Gwin's moto background meant he came in strong, really strong. His problem might be somewhere between bike and brain: managing a team can't be easy, especially one that's floundering as results go. He hasn't looked that comfy on the bike either. 

So yes, it's been an Intensely disappointing season for the new team. Hell, i'm almost expecting gwin to call it a day. 

pure speculation here, but to be fair, i don't think his issues are physical. As Duane pointed out, Gwin's moto background meant he came in strong, really strong. His problem might be somewhere between bike and brain: managing a team can't be easy, especially one that's floundering as results go. He hasn't looked that comfy on the bike either. 

So yes, it's been an Intensely disappointing season for the new team. Hell, i'm almost expecting gwin to call it a day. 

We should start a bet on whether AG is going to push Intense into business rescue/bankruptcy  :ph34r: He's got to be the highest paid to worst performing rider on the circuit at the moment. 

I'm feeling a bit snarky typing this, but he's loved to talk smack about inconsistent riders in the past. Perhaps 2019 will humble him a bit.

We should start a bet on whether AG is going to push Intense into business rescue/bankruptcy  :ph34r: He's got to be the highest paid to worst performing rider on the circuit at the moment. 

I'm feeling a bit snarky typing this, but he's loved to talk smack about inconsistent riders in the past. Perhaps 2019 will humble him a bit.

LOL. i was wondering that same thing yesterday! but thought it too snarky to share on this forum. 

Agreed..I remarked to my daughter that he must be on the drink already because he went through a patch of just making an absolute mess of the names

Keep in mind they see the same version you see and have to commentate live on that.

It’s not easy to see what’s happening and comment instantly 100% accurately based on what they can see on the tv.

Keep in mind they see the same version you see and have to commentate live on that.

It’s not easy to see what’s happening and comment instantly 100% accurately based on what they can see on the tv.

Agreed.. They did a good job in my book... Way better than what everyone back home had to deal with on DStv apparently

Agreed.. They did a good job in my book... Way better than what everyone back home had to deal with on DStv apparently

Ah ok, my mistake

I thought the commentary criticism was towards rob and Claudio

Who do dstv have doing commentary

Ah ok, my mistake

I thought the commentary criticism was towards rob and Claudio

Who do dstv have doing commentary

I had Rob and Claudo on DSTV..... I thought they were absolutely fine.

Yoh... If guys are having a go at them then they need to remember the log/speck thing and focus on more positive things. 

Just saying