Which sports watch to buy??

Henley 1

i have taken a slightly different tack to the norm here and gone with Garmin bike specific GPS units and a Vivo Active 3 HR watch. I do all the bike related stuff using my Edge 520 or if I need navigation I use the Edge Explore unit. I use the watch's HR device to record heart rate and use the watch for running and indoor swimming. When I do outdoor swims I log it as a walk then change the sport to swim in Garmin Connect and Strava. The swim distance however is not accurate but I "fix" it in Strava. Outdoor swims I don't do to often and being a strong swimmer I don't really care too much about this metric. I have now used this setup for multiple Ironman and half ironman events and it works well for me. Battery life on the Vivoactive is pretty good and I got it relatively cheap so for the price of the Fenix I have managed to score a Vivoactive 3 HR watch, Edge explore and Edge 520 GPs unit.

I stand to be corrected here but I think the Fenix 5 will be replaced soonish ,

Cant really go wrong with the top of the range units from any of the makes, they all work exceedingly well and do what they supposed to.

Thanks for this. Exactly the route I was going to go. But likely to wait for the Edge once I saved more money, and use the watch for everything.

A bit worried about falling with the watch, but same goes for the Edge (and my bones)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this. Exactly the route I was going to go. But likely to wait for the Edge once I saved more money, and use the watch for everything.

A bit worried about falling with the watch, but same goes for the Edge (and my bones)

The Vivoactive watch can be used for cycling, running , swimming etc etc etc .... just not open water swimming.

It tracks everything very well and iirc has a 12 hour battery life in GPS mode, good enough for everything except my slow Ironman times but everything else it works just fine.

Considering that Garmins business model is about making current models obsolete as quickly as possible it makes sense (to me) not to spend keeping up with the latest models. But I have to be honest and say I do not need all the functionality of the top of the range watches. If you are a serious athlete needing all the data available then top of the range is for you.

Always state your budget up front when asking for buying advice.

I know a whole bunch of people with the 735XT, Fenix 3 and 5, I haven't heard horror stories. I have the 935, pretty bang on. Not a fan of the wrist based HRM, so I use a strap (not a tri-a-the-lete, but keen runner).

• 1 year later...

a year later ... and technology has moved on .... time to revive and update this thread.

If Triathlon is the one extreme, then I am looking for a watch on the other extreme of the spectrum ....

I have a really cheapy that has served me well for the normal step recording.  Looking to get something that can do the daily step and hart rate recording plus something for a park run (well more like park walk..)

Any input on entry level watches that offer good value for money will be appreciated.  Some feedback on other threads of cheaper watches that only last 12 months is not nice.  Also, I would prefer something where I can replace the strap, not the whole watch ...

EDIT - recording for my own morbid curiosity.  So it does not have to link to some or other rewards program.

Edited by ChrisF

a year later ... and technology has moved on .... time to revive and update this thread.

If Triathlon is the one extreme, then I am looking for a watch on the other extreme of the spectrum ....

I have a really cheapy that has served me well for the normal step recording.  Looking to get something that can do the daily step and hart rate recording plus something for a park run (well more like park walk..)

Any input on entry level watches that offer good value for money will be appreciated.  Some feedback on other threads of cheaper watches that only last 12 months is not nice.  Also, I would prefer something where I can replace the strap, not the whole watch ...

Honestly the best value for money is Suunto, they are every bit as good as Garmin but generally a fair bit cheaper.

Im still on an Ambit 3 and its still chugging along happily. It records the parkrun on a Sat, Squash 3 times a week and every run and cycle in between.

Its nice seeing messages etc popping up on the screen too without taking my phone out of my pocket.

Garmin FR30  - if you can find one.  Just bought one for my wife.  Awesome value for money. 

EDIT - recording for my own morbid curiosity.  So it does not have to link to some or other rewards program.

I am on my third garmin fenix .I buy them in a duty free area substantially cheaper .Garmin vivoactive is a lot cheaper than a fenix and does everything you need .The fenix 5x is the older model but is still sold at good prices and i found it to be an excellent product even after two years of full time use .All three of my garmin,s had to get new straps after two years use .I bought new straps for 29€ and it takes a full minute to put the new ones on 

Edited by arendoog

Find a nice 920xt, or get a Suunto they sell for low prices. Personally i would not pay the prices they charge for the new garmin 6 range as i think its simply crazy what they charge. I just cannot see myself spending around R13000 to R16000 for what i call a disposable watch.

If anyone is looking for the Garmin Vivo Active 3 (I got the Black/Slate one) would recommend you to look at Amazon.

I saved about R2000 going that route. Now that Amazon does door to door shipping and not use SA postal service you know you will get your package.  

Link

I got a Forerunner 30 for xmas. It was to replace the not so reliable vivofit. All I need it for(or thought I needed it for) was steps as I would still wear a proper watch. When I got it I realised wearing 2 bigger watches looked funny(got away with the vivofit and my watch as the vivofit was so skinny). A month down the line and I love this watch. When I do my cardio work outs I used to use my edge and chest strap with the edge just lying nearby. Now obviously don't do that. Then for the short fun rides with the family I don't bother with he edge and as the FR30 has a GPS I can still see how far we have gone. As it has GPS you will be able to see your park run route and profile on connect/strava.

The lets downs-the wrist based HR seems a bit off compared to my chest strap. If I do intervals it seems slow to catch up. So I will give it gas and the chest strap reflecting on the edge will respond straight away but the watch still shows a lower HR and then it does catch up. I also find that riding tempo the chest strap shows a more constant HR but wrist can jump about 10/15bpm up or down. I haven't recorded an activity simultaneously to see how different the stats are over the whole activity but maybe I should. Will be interesting to see average HR, speed etc between the FR30 and EDGE520.

Other "downside" which doesn't really bother me tbh as I would probably deactivate it if it did have the function is the FR30 doesn't receive whatsapps. It only shows calls(which you can answer or decline on the watch) and it receives SMS that you can read the entire message on the watch. My Dad has the VivoSmart and he receives whatsapps on that.

You are able to replace just the strap.

EDIT: I get about 5/6 days out of it but I seldom use the GPS and when I do it is for like 30min.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

Apparently I was a good boy last year and Santa brought me a Polar Vantage M... I am a bit suspicious though, cause my wife asked me which colour strap I'd like and I said blue and then all of a sudden Santa brings me a Vantage M with a blue strap.... :mellow:

Anyway, I'm loving it. My previous Polars (M400 and M430) didn't have the tri feature which I need. Love the battery life and it's just a massive upgrade from the M430. 

Also whatever "complaints" I read about where addressed in the updates. 

I have been using Suunto since 1998, and still have a Vector from then which is going strong. I have had zero issues with all of my Suunto's, compared to many with my two Garmin products (a 310 XT watch and a 720 edge). Last year I got a Spartan Sport which I am more than stoked with. Their after sales and support has been incredible too. I sent in one watch to have the bezel replaced after a tough climbing trip. It came back with a new back, o ring and strap all at no cost.

TomTom has stopped making fitness trackers, but their Spark / Runner watches were actually pretty decent in terms of GPS accuracy if you don't mind less features than Garmin. There are some nice deals second hand on sites like Gumtree.