For the aviation fans

Lotus

Because closing a throttle in the aircraft has the effect of dropping the nose and they were already  fighting a nose down attitude

I agree with this point, but the article questioned why after take-off, the throttles were kept at full power. My guesstimate is because the problem reared up during the take off phase, and most likely the pilots never quite got to after takeoff checklist phase, where they would naturally have throttled back. Instead, opting to fly the plane.

Most likely a case of getting fixated on the problem at hand, at the expense of solving contributing problems such as increased power to the engines. This in itself being a major reason Boeing introduced MCAS in the first place, because the larger engines had a lift-inducing effect on the engine cowlings, causing the nose to rise in the first place.

Again, in my humble opinion, a reason why training would have probably saved the lives of all who perished. For a pilot, expecting the plane to do one thing, when it was never designed that way, but being told nothing changed from the previous model...a recipe for disaster. No wonder the planes crashed.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A little birdie told me this morning that we are trying to get A350s to replace our outgoing A340-600s(2 already not flying anymore and being sold to global). Whoop Whoop another aircraft I can do a course on and add to my license. So please people, pay your taxes to make this possible.

Because closing a throttle in the aircraft has the effect of dropping the nose and they were already  fighting a nose down attitude. 

I doubt that was part of the equation, they had plenty of speed as it was. There was so much going on including the pilots stick shaker being triggered by the falsely high AOA indicator. The tunnel vision factor seems most likely, they were fighting the attitude and the trim system, speed was not kept in check. The auto-throttle system may or may not have been on as I understand it but either way that cant be blamed, what I have been told its generally set for a rate of climb after take off but because the aircraft was trimmed nose down the speed kept increasing - pity the code in the flight computer was so stupid and kept applying nose down trim despite the aircraft exceeding its max flying speed and the AOA indicators totally out of sync.

I also read today on Aviation Week that the AOA also introduces a correction compensation for indicated airspeed, but that is small in comparison to what happened here - the aircraft was flying at 2x the  normal speed in these circumstances. Also suggestions that it might have become more uncontrollable at this high speed of 500 kn - :"trans sonic" effects

Edited by kosmonooit

A little birdie told me this morning that we are trying to get A350s to replace our outgoing A340-600s(2 already not flying anymore and being sold to global). Whoop Whoop another aircraft I can do a course on and add to my license. So please people, pay your taxes to make this possible.

Its a beautiful aircraft - Singapore flies them into ORT. Recently I took a look at the cockpit on the way out, a fantastic arrangement for the pilots a keyboard tray in front of them and a panaroma of flat screens. Very efficient as well apparently.

Do captain and co-pilot each have their own fuselage?  I imagine it must feel quite weird to be piloting a plane when you're not in the centre of it - I'm thinking specifically about banking or trying to land cross wind. 

Do captain and co-pilot each have their own fuselage?  I imagine it must feel quite weird to be piloting a plane when you're not in the centre of it - I'm thinking specifically about banking or trying to land cross wind. 

I had to Google fuselage

It must feel a bit weird.

Edited by WeekendWarrior80

As to SAA getting "new" aircraft, Avcom seems to think unlikely to actually be new and everything is leased; "new" and "old". No buying or selling.

But rumour is that SAA is heading for a new record loss among record losses?

But rumour is that SAA is heading for a new record loss among record losses?

It ceases to mean anything after a while. Like living at minus 20 degrees C or minus 30.

Empenage.

Bogey.

Elevator.

Aileron.

Rudder.

Turbine.

Skydrol.

TCAS.

AME.

Yoh I could go on all day. I love my job.

Dead weight tester

Mag drop

Compass Swing

Blow by

Hot section

Auto feather

And not forget the all time favourite:

Long weight

Edited by SwissVan

Dead weight tester

Mag drop

Compass Swing

Blow by

Hot section

Auto feather

Long weight

To this day I still try my luck but some of these new technicians we have are so arrogant you get into trouble when they find out.

Dead weight tester

Mag drop

Compass Swing

Blow by

Hot section

Auto feather

Long weight

what I love doing while the technician is busy duct-taping the fuselage to make the aeroplane  serviceable... :D  :D  :D

I should point out that you probably don't sit in the centre of your car... maybe the reason Cape Town drivers have a bad name  :P