For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We normally see a load of contrails about 15km east of us - it's the main corridor from the UK and France to the Spanish holiday airports down at the coast. Haven't seen even a hint of a plane for weeks now.

There were some very impressive inventions that luckily either did not go into full production or only got used in the war too late.  Otherwise we all would have spoken German today  :whistling:

That's a subject of quite some debate with historians.

More importantly was their A bomb project, the lead scientist Heisenburg - did he hold back or simply get it wrong? We will never know.

https://physicstoday.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.882552?journalCode=pto

By the time they got the A4 (renamed to V2 by Hilter)  right, the country was falling apart. The production was moved to underground mine by slave labour in horrendous conditions (which Von Braun was party to) 

The other open question was also the efficacy of the ordinance - yes they were terrifyingly destructive but even if they fires salvos it would not really have changed the course of the war. Only once tipped with nuclear ordinance did they become significant.

Edited by kosmonooit

Just heard an aircraft overhead inbound to FAJS -  Qatar Cargo A330 - exciting!

Nothing else in the air - surreal.

We normally see a load of contrails about 15km east of us - it's the main corridor from the UK and France to the Spanish holiday airports down at the coast. Haven't seen even a hint of a plane for weeks now.

Where we live there are normal planes all over the joint normally.  On days where the humidity is very high the contrails become fairly excesive.  Now there is nothing especially as the air is pretty dry at the moment.

Took this pic on Sunday as my wife and I were out on the bikes.  Worth stopping to take the picture as we don't see that often lately.

post-71-0-46451100-1586426737_thumb.jpg

The German Rocket men ... that is one of the biggest tech stories of the 20th C. Basically most of them  engineered their way over to the US after the war and finally got to the moon, which was their original intention back the the vaderland.

Others that did not manage to escape the Russians went on to help them with their rocket projects (not by choice)

One man was key:

C09%2BBundesarchiv_Bild_146-1978-Anh.024

Wernher von Braun?

I read the James A. Michener novel Space which was based on the tale of the U.S. involvement in getting him and a bunch of Germans over to Stateside to assist with rocket development which ultimately resulted in NASA and man on the moon. An excellent read if you can get your hands on a copy.

By the time they got the A4 (renamed to V2 by Hilter)  right, the country was falling apart. The production was moved to underground mine by slave labour in horrendous conditions (which Von Braun was party to) 

The other open question was also the efficacy of the ordinance - yes they were terrifyingly destructive but even if they fires salvos it would not really have changed the course of the war. Only once tipped with nuclear ordinance did they become significant.

Saw a documentery where they build the worlds largest canons.  It never went into production luckily as the war ended before they could finish the project.  But these canons had long barrels and would have been able to bomb most of Britain without sending a plane there.

A lot of bad people were given free passes after the war. 

Wernher von Braun?

I read the James A. Michener novel Space which was based on the tale of the U.S. involvement in getting him and a bunch of Germans over to Stateside to assist with rocket development which ultimately resulted in NASA and man on the moon. An excellent read if you can get your hands on a copy.

Ja wohl.

May 3, 1945

Wernher-von-Braun-Magnus-forces-May-2-19

Truth is he/they made the whole migration to the US happen so they could carry on there,  They stashed all the plans and crucial parts in a mine in the west of Germany and hot footed in to a sector where the Americans were and surrended to them there, with much glee since their technological booty was immense, Directly thereafter they were testing their missile in the US (Operation Paperclip) - which led to first weapons and indeed the first successful orbit of a US satellite, although they were held back until other efforts failed

Edited by kosmonooit

Whats that like then? I've forgotten.

:w00t: Pretty awesome.  We have summer temps all of a sudden and I go for a bike ride every afternoon at the moment.  You should try it  :whistling:

7632639_orig.jpg

His greatest achievement must be the Saturn V

364138main_6900841_946-710.jpg

Apologies for coming across as a Mr Know It All on this subject, but I did become slightly obsessed with this  during my MSc studies at Imperial in London and read just about everything I could find on the topic.

Next door at the Science Museum they have an original A4 / V2

Edited by kosmonooit