For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it looks like the blue strip along the fuselage was maintained but they decked out the the vert stab in Orange

af9b55c764beb4c3fff5984dee4f60e3.jpg

There was one of these at Rand Airport - a few years ago I believe it was doing charter trips. Not sure if it still is.

OK I'm trawling through my HDD while we're locked indoors and coming across all sorts of stuff . . . . 

These pics are of the support planes that accompanied Obama on his trip to SA back in June 2013. They parked up at Lanseria while Airforce One actually flew into Waterkloof.

Awesome pic of the Boeing Globemaster C17

My old stomping ground near the falcon parked in the background

post-182-0-13383700-1586354209_thumb.jpg

Just looked at the SAA Museum on streetview and saw this one.....

That aircraft if I recall belonged/s s to Phoebus Apollo based at Rand

They had a huge fleet of old aeroplanes used for various "contract" jobs in Africa, including the radial engine 747 pictured below :whistling:

At one stage the owner of PA actualy owned Rand Airport after the joburg municipality sold it in the 1990's

post-182-0-44182700-1586354988_thumb.jpg

Silly pilots forgot forgot where Bloemfontein is?

Looks like heading for Bloem

I don't know.  Looks odd.  Normally the past couple of days a 340 or two will go to Cape Town to collect some Germans and take them back up but maybe this pilot does not want to.

post-71-0-56687800-1586356823_thumb.jpg

I don't know.  Looks odd.  Normally the past couple of days a 340 or two will go to Cape Town to collect some Germans and take them back up but maybe this pilot does not want to.

attachicon.giffr1.jpg

Probably training....

That aircraft if I recall belonged/s s to Phoebus Apollo based at Rand

They had a huge fleet of old aeroplanes used for various "contract" jobs in Africa, including the radial engine 747 pictured below :whistling:

At one stage the owner of PA actualy owned Rand Airport after the joburg municipality sold it in the 1990's

The tail colour looks right, so could be. Cheers.

attachicon.giffr1.jpg

The last flight was on 02 Apr and listed as a Maintenance flight lasting 18 minutes

There was one of these at Rand Airport - a few years ago I believe it was doing charter trips. Not sure if it still is.

This is the Vickers Viscount, Rolls Royce Dart turboprop engines. The DC 4’s at Rand had the P and W R 2000 Twin Wasps radial pistons.

I flew ZS- PAI briefly, last century!!!!

Horton flying wing, but I forget the model number. There is one in the Smithsonian, Udvar Hazy building at Washington DC airport.

The yanks stole it from Germany after the war to study it

I saw a national geographic program on it, the Germans built it to try avoid the British radar using plywood over the metal structures