For the aviation fans

Lotus

I see Lufthansa have a few repatriation flights going today.  Saw a A350 on its way to Windhoek and two 747-8 on the way back from South America (Brazil and Chile).  My wife mentioned a SA news report that SAA will start flying back some Germans to Germany starting today some time.  NZ also gave the green light to allow foreigners to be flown out of NZ so I expect Germany to start collecting the 12 000 odd oaks stuck there as well.

I spoke to one my swiss customers early last week, he was stuck in Chicago and moaning like hell that he could not get back... The swiss have an app that all swissies stuck overseas can register on so the bund know where they are, he claimed it was useless as they had not responded to him yet...

He is quite a demanding customer, hope he made it back by now  :w00t:

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FlySafair came and did ground runs on their 737's at CT this morning

Probably part of the "Parking and storage maintenance" procedure

You cant just park and lock up aircraft like we do with our cars and bikes, without expensive consequences.

Depending on the manufacturer, they all have maintenance requirements that have to be performed during parking / storage on a regular basis i.e. 7 days / 30 days / 60 days...etc

If these are not performed then they will require a more extensive inspection to return them to service, for example the engines might well need to be removed for a "light OH" type inspection.

You cant just park and lock up aircraft like we do with our cars and bikes, without expensive consequences.

Depending on the manufacturer, they all have maintenance requirements that have to be performed during parking / storage on a regular basis i.e. 7 days / 30 days / 60 days...etc

If these are not performed then they will require a more extensive inspection to return them to service, for example the engines might well need to be removed for a "light OH" type inspection.

Agreed.

Funny thing is, we’ve just been discussing this scenario of maintenance during lockdown period for baggage systems, which are also required to be “active” or “run” to ensure lubrication, etc.

A baggage conveyor system that is inactive for as little as 14 days, requires a full commissioning procedure (about 3-4 days).

Agreed.

Funny thing is, we’ve just been discussing this scenario of maintenance during lockdown period for baggage systems, which are also required to be “active” or “run” to ensure lubrication, etc.

A baggage conveyor system that is inactive for as little as 14 days, requires a full commissioning procedure (about 3-4 days).

I used to do maintenance engineering at various factories (my fav was aways the cake factory!) and people were always amazed at how a machine worked fine before the holiday break but not afterwards.

I wrote "Correct Shut Down Procedures" for quite a few places to help them out and I was usually there or nearby when they started up again. Made a huge difference.

I used to do maintenance engineering at various factories (my fav was aways the cake factory!) and people were always amazed at how a machine worked fine before the holiday break but not afterwards.

I wrote "Correct Shut Down Procedures" for quite a few places to help them out and I was usually there or nearby when they started up again. Made a huge difference.

Yeah a difficult concept to explain wrt to mechanical / electrical machines

But it is often best to keep them flying / operating / working regularly 

Sorry chaps... forgot to post the answer

Trivia question time:

attachicon.gifSafety.JPG

D ?

You can trade height for speed and speed for height but you need juice to get you one or the other in the first place. So I'd say D

Correct you are  :thumbup: you both can go home early today.... :whistling:

post-182-0-54514800-1585921480_thumb.jpg

Edited by SwissVan

Goodness those SAA 747's are pretty.

They are, but I have always found the DC-10 to be the most attractive jetliner ever built. In the KLM blue livery it just looked stunning. Its just a shame that they are becoming very scarcely seen on the tarmac these days. 

They are, but I have always found the DC-10 to be the most attractive jetliner ever built. In the KLM blue livery it just looked stunning. Its just a shame that they are becoming very scarcely seen on the tarmac these days. 

For me the beauties are VC-10, 727 and 707.

There is something about the lines of a 727 that do make it a beautiful looking plane. Sleek and smooth. Saw some footage of one landing on a dirt strip once and it just looked amazing, seeming to glide in and settle down without effort. Even the positioning of the engines looks good when you look from the side.

The engines were put up high at the back like that specifically so that the plane could do dirt strip landings. That's also the reason the plane has its own built in rear stairway, for remote dirt strips without passenger handling equipment.

post-4874-0-14300000-1585987141_thumb.jpg

The 727 air stair - brings this story to mind

"I could see no end to those people," she says. "They were running to the air stair from every direction"

https://news-decoder.com/2018/04/19/eyewitness-dying-days-vietnam-war/

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x55mn7

http://www.mofak.com/mission_improbable.htm

Da-Nang-Evacuation-March-25-1975-300x223

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8rl3jzitvSU/UD-E-SBcvXI/AAAAAAAAAMI/a142tZyqBUg/s1600/727%2Bevac%2Bda%2Bnang%2Bmar%2B25%2B%252775%2B%25282%2529.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wc7dQ7uOmZA/UD7PynCOTXI/AAAAAAAAALE/lJvT4lLz_Ck/s1600/LastFlt727c.jpg

DaNang75.jpg

I think this type also needed a flight engineer (like the 707)  - one of the reasons for its demise

Edited by kosmonooit

Freight still flying but not like before. I bring in about 60 consignments a year, mostly from Germany and about 10 days ago most airlines pulled the plug on pricing agreements. I was quoted € 4.80 per kg which is significantly higher than my standard rate. However on my last order before lockdown the cargo sat on the ground for a few days and is now here and at standard rate. I guess when there is a space on the sled they load it.

Monday I was quoted $14.50/Kg from China, and Thursday it was $15.10/Kg

Payment before the booking is confirmed.

Questions to those in the know:

1. What is the max payload a commercial liner can carry (pax and bags)?

2. why aren’t SAA flying cargo with their passenger fleet?