For the aviation fans

Lotus

Looking at the repatriation flights of Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines at the moment.  Lufthansa sending a A380 to Auckland refeulling in Bangkok and Austrian sending a 777-200 to Christchurch refeulling in Malaysia.  These must be rather interresting flights as I assume crew do not get off and swap with other crew I assume.  So they propably will have double crew who work in shifts.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing the youngest DC8 must be just under 50 years old it's not too surprising they are becoming scarce. They had more of a run than the civilian 707s, although the KC-135 Stratotankers and ilk are probably going to outlive us all (just like the B52s).

(I might have mentioned this story already, apologies if I have!)   

Talking about B52's . . . . . 

Years ago a seasoned fighter pilot was on manoeuvres in his single engine F16 over the Nevada desert when his plane developed engine trouble and he had to head back to base. It took a lot of effort and concentration but the pilot managed to keep the plane straight and level and coax it back towards to airfield.

Running low on fuel the pilot was happy to finally line the plane up for an emergency landing and just as the runway came into sight in the far distance the airfield tower contacted him and told him he'd have to do an "additional circuit" because a B-52 Bomber, also on manoeuvres locally, had developed engine trouble and had been given landing priority to come straight in.....

To which the fighter pilot replied sarcastically "aaah yes - the dreaded 7 engine approach!"

Happily everyone landed safely in the end. 

post-4874-0-73694700-1586257070_thumb.jpg

OK I'm trawling through my HDD while we're locked indoors and coming across all sorts of stuff . . . . 

These pics are of the support planes that accompanied Obama on his trip to SA back in June 2013. They parked up at Lanseria while Airforce One actually flew into Waterkloof.

post-4874-0-86152800-1586278069_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-73809100-1586278077_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-49284200-1586278113_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bonus

Monday I was quoted $14.50/Kg from China, and Thursday it was $15.10/Kg

Payment before the booking is confirmed.

Questions to those in the know:

1. What is the max payload a commercial liner can carry (pax and bags)?

2. why aren’t SAA flying cargo with their passenger fleet?

I am able to answer my own question.

Looks like SAA are using some of their fleet as chartered flights.

OK I'm trawling through my HDD while we're locked indoors and coming across all sorts of stuff . . . .

These pics are of the support planes that accompanied Obama on his trip to SA back in June 2013. They parked up at Lanseria while Airforce One actually flew into Waterkloof.

There is just something about a US Military Aircraft that gives me goosebumps. You just know that no expense has been spared and it’s the tip of the spear. Love it.

I am able to answer my own question.

Looks like SAA are using some of their fleet as chartered flights.

SAA is currently flying Germans from Johannesburg and Cape Town up to Germany at the moment.

I was wondering what preceded the ZAR.2 livery on SAA,

edit: links to post card pics blocked

Edited by kosmonooit

I was wondering what preceded the ZAR.2 livery on SAA, found these postcard pics of FAJS

airport-postcard-saa-south-african_360_f

Looks like olive green on these Viscounts

airport-postcard-johannesburg-jan_360_5d

Though not clear what as on that spanking new 707, that must have been around the time of the Republic mania, looks like a blue nose

Pics?

There is just something about a US Military Aircraft that gives me goosebumps. You just know that no expense has been spared and it’s the tip of the spear. Love it.

Can you imagine their budget? Not the "published" figures, I mean the real figures. . . .