For the aviation fans

Lotus

What is that space movie where in the opening scene the kid is playing a space alien shooting game at his local cafe and makes it past the final level. Suddenly he is in space and the "final" defender of the universe?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is that space movie where in the opening scene the kid is playing a space alien shooting game at his local cafe and makes it past the final level. Suddenly he is in space and the "final" defender of the universe?

Ender's Game?

Last Starfighter?

But THIS is the one I would love to have in the back yard for fun.

The hughes 500, with the curved nose, dont like the 500e with the pointy nose

Sitting in the door of this one :0

At least 3 times, maybe more, per week, I have a Oryx come banging overhead from Ysterplaat to Langebaan, and usually within 20 - 30 minutes later, it comes back. Sometimes, there are 2.

They fly low and loud. I also am curious as to why on both outbound and return legs they usually do a wide circling maneuver around Blaauwberg Hill? This I find fun to watch, but not so much lately with my baby daughter trying to sleep when they do their fly-overs...

This is the baby I always wanted to fly, having spent many hours sitting in one

I grew up in George, and remember one day as a lightie watching a Allouette make a landing in the then Army Womens College' tennis courts, fitting nice and snug between the fence. I was sitting on my BMX, flabergasted by the sight.

A couple years later, at school, a pair came flying past my school, and landed on the rugby field in full view of the kids, as it was break time. One of the pilots got out, walked around having a look at the bird, before he got back in and took of again.

This is the baby I always wanted to fly, having spent many hours sitting in one

I also spent some time getting ferried in Alouettes, and I always thought they sounded a bit like there was bucketful of loose bolts somewhere inside the engine.........I suppose that's why I also love the sound of my old Td5 Landy.......bucket full of loose bolts if ever there was one! :D

Edited by DJR

Magnum PI style !

Looks like TC's (?) helicopter from the Magnum PI of the 80s.

...........Spent time doing game capture in this one

Once, just once, I went along on a zebra and gemsbok capture in a Robinson (I think it was). Never again - I saw my life flash in front of my closed eyes and my stomach and lungs swapped places! I think that pilot was trying to fly below grass level because tree level wasn't scary enough! I liked the VW Beetle lookalike motor!

post-17716-0-97709200-1563534910_thumb.jpg

Once, just once, I went along on a zebra and gemsbok capture in a Robinson (I think it was). Never again - I saw my life flash in front of my closed eyes and my stomach and lungs swapped places! I think that pilot was trying to fly below grass level because tree level wasn't scary enough! I liked the VW Beetle lookalike motor!

lol ! that explains why you have such a big chest  :whistling: