Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

I hate running. Doesn't work well with my joints. But I decided this year to add 10km running per week to my training to improve fitness on the bike and to lose more weight. Early days but let's see how it goes and if it helps.. Still regularly hitting PR's on the MTB, so I think it's helping.

On a different note, I had to go for a medical yesterday for my life insurance. The previous one I had was two years and 32kg heavier ago. Then my blood pressure was 150/85, HR 72, Cholesterol 5.50, and Diabetes 5.9% hba1c. 

Yesterday my blood pressure was 130/70, HR 42, Cholesterol 3.0, and Diabetes 4.0% hba1c. 

The nurse was quite impressed and said it can't get much better than that!

I think I literally added 20 years to my life already by losing that weight and gaining some fitness.

Still about 15kg to go though... and then maintaining it there.

Maybe also look at swimming or weight training to supplement the cycling? Might be easier on the joints. I was amazed at how much my cycling improved once I started spending a 2-3 days a week in the gym with a barbell  ^_^

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to know how you felt on the bike after the weight loss

I am also at around 83 and cannot even imagine how leke climbing would be at 64!

Coming from triple digits to sub 70 (I seem to hover at 68-69 no matter what I do) I went from back of the pack to smashing heavier riders on climbs so badly that I have enough time to recover while waiting for them to catch up. unfortunately they return the favour downhill.

Being lighter on the bike is a massive advantage, but realize you are going to lose power output and you can tell

I hate running. Doesn't work well with my joints. But I decided this year to add 10km running per week to my training to improve fitness on the bike and to lose more weight. Early days but let's see how it goes and if it helps.. Still regularly hitting PR's on the MTB, so I think it's helping.

On a different note, I had to go for a medical yesterday for my life insurance. The previous one I had was two years and 32kg heavier ago. Then my blood pressure was 150/85, HR 72, Cholesterol 5.50, and Diabetes 5.9% hba1c. 

Yesterday my blood pressure was 130/70, HR 42, Cholesterol 3.0, and Diabetes 4.0% hba1c. 

The nurse was quite impressed and said it can't get much better than that!

I think I literally added 20 years to my life already by losing that weight and gaining some fitness.

Still about 15kg to go though... and then maintaining it there.

All the best with that.

The Mrs and I have recently joined an athletic club together, which is one of the main reasons why I'll be spending more time running, even though out of her and I, I'm the one that needs to lose an extra few kg's. Hopped on the scale this morning, and I'm 89.3kg. That's from starting the year on 88kg. If I can lose 8kg this year, then I'll be as happy as a pig in poop.

but realize you are going to lose power output and you can tell

Sorry I somehow miss the relationship of being lighter yet weaker

but realize you are going to lose power output and you can tell

Sorry I somehow miss the relationship of being lighter yet weaker

When you lose weight, your body cannibalizes some muscle along with fat, especially when you get around 15% BF. Less muscle, less power output.

It's well known that lightweight climbers are outperformed by bulky sprinters

Power to weight comes into play more on hills than flats too...

Eg:

You start at 80kg @ 320W FTP = 4W/kg,

then lose weight to...

60kg @ 270W FTP = 4.5W/kg

Even though you now climb faster (higher power to weight), you have lost some muscle along with the fat and now produce less raw power. Since raw power as oposed to power to weight plays more of a role on flater surfaces and sprints you may find that you now cannot grind quite as fast on flats or sprint quite as fast.

This is just an example so don't take the number too seriously. And also this scemario assumes at the higher weight you are reasonable fit/strong and not a pile of blubber.

The case with most people though is they start out at eg: 100kg with an FTP of 200W (power to weight = 2W/kg) and drop to eg: 80kg and get fitter amd stronger in the process to maybe an FTP of 320W (power to weight = 4W/kg). In this case they will obviously be much faster in every single aspect of riding.

Power to weight comes into play more on hills than flats too...

Eg:

You start at 80kg @ 320W FTP = 4W/kg,

then lose weight to...

60kg @ 270W FTP = 4.5W/kg

Even though you now climb faster (higher power to weight), you have lost some muscle along with the fat and now produce less raw power. Since raw power as oposed to power to weight plays more of a role on flater surfaces and sprints you may find that you now cannot grind quite as fast on flats or sprint quite as fast.

This is just an example so don't take the number too seriously. And also this scemario assumes at the higher weight you are reasonable fit/strong and not a pile of blubber.

The case with most people though is they start out at eg: 100kg with an FTP of 200W (power to weight = 2W/kg) and drop to eg: 80kg and get fitter amd stronger in the process to maybe an FTP of 320W (power to weight = 4W/kg). In this case they will obviously be much faster in every single aspect of riding.

100%

post-59317-0-06476200-1548915482_thumb.jpg

If you loosing muscle, your diet is wrong.  I've lost 12kg so far, FTP is ~60w more.

Get enough carbs in before/during/after  HIIT session  and keep protein constant during rest of the day and carbs down.   (if you not doing keto)

This is of course if you are overweight and not already at target body/fat %

Edited by Karman de Lange

How do you guys measure body fat percentage?

I don't have a personal trainer or biokineticist I go to for regular measurements, etc

Can I purchase a body fat caliper from Takealot, Sportsmanswarehouse or any of those places and use that or is there a better or more accurate way?

Its all about finding the balance, while losing weight and getting fitter.

I've also been on the boat when I first started cycling. Dropped 23kg, and increased FTP by almost 90w. But you will get to a point where the gains are marginal both ways.

How do you guys measure body fat percentage?

I don't have a personal trainer or biokineticist I go to for regular measurements, etc

Can I purchase a body fat caliper from Takealot, Sportsmanswarehouse or any of those places and use that or is there a better or more accurate way?

Yes, takealot has two or three models, calculators for measurements are online

Edit:http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

Edited by Ed-Zulu

I've dropped about 24kg, FTP is up about 100W (from a low base) and during that time, I've seen 10sec power drop - probably from about 10kg ago... about 1250W >1050W. so will the lost 200W affect my 'sprint'? probably, but the better-fitting clothes are worth it!! i'm only winning bicycle races against kiddies anyway it seems, so as long as I'm having fun.

the increased mass with which to stomp pedals is a boon, but I can't figure out how 75kg WT guys do >2000W in sprints. the mind boggles