Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a Weekend warrior of say 100kg what is an average FTP ( if there is something like average) 

i weigh 100 kg ...a little over at the moment...December it was 268 watt  (up from 238 watt in June last year) not riding at the moment ..it must be back down to 238 by now.

it would depend on who you are comparing to...a person who rides once or twice on a weekend.....some one one who training 5 times a week...

i weigh 100 kg ...a little over at the moment...December it was 268 watt  (up from 238 watt in June last year) not riding at the moment ..it must be back down to 238 by now.

it would depend on who you are comparing to...a person who rides once or twice on a weekend.....some one one who training 5 times a week...

Thanks, i know my question is like how long is a piece of string ?? I am more curious to compare it with mine because i am also "fighting in that weight division", mine however is terribly low at the moment due to not training for a long time........... :cursing:  :cursing: but baby steps they say !!!

I have weighed in early this month as i am so pleased that i topped my 1000km target training this month . I am aiming at 1200 km by April as it rains less and my training will not be cut short or on some days not even happen .Our off road rides should get longer as well as most of our Grumpy gang will have some good miles in their legs . The area we ride in will also have less water and muddy track to get through . 

post-111826-0-34943900-1548938811_thumb.jpg

I have weighed in early this month as i am so pleased that i topped my 1000km target training this month . I am aiming at 1200 km by April as it rains less and my training will not be cut short or on some days not even happen .Our off road rides should get longer as well as most of our Grumpy gang will have some good miles in their legs . The area we ride in will also have less water and muddy track to get through .

Sho well done V8!! Those numbers just keep falling! Where do you get the time for 1200km a month? I'm on my mtb almost every gap I get, and I average about only 600km per month.

Power to weight comes into play more on hills than flats too...

Eg:

You start at 80kg @ 320W FTP = 4W/kg,

then lose weight to...

60kg @ 270W FTP = 4.5W/kg

Even though you now climb faster (higher power to weight), you have lost some muscle along with the fat and now produce less raw power. Since raw power as oposed to power to weight plays more of a role on flater surfaces and sprints you may find that you now cannot grind quite as fast on flats or sprint quite as fast.

This is just an example so don't take the number too seriously. And also this scemario assumes at the higher weight you are reasonable fit/strong and not a pile of blubber.

The case with most people though is they start out at eg: 100kg with an FTP of 200W (power to weight = 2W/kg) and drop to eg: 80kg and get fitter amd stronger in the process to maybe an FTP of 320W (power to weight = 4W/kg). In this case they will obviously be much faster in every single aspect of riding.

This makes sense for me. Wasnt trying to be funny. I was asking to understand.

If I have to choose between the weight and the muscle power I would like to lose the weight please. Flip I know what it feels like hauling half a bag of cement up every hill. Refering to post 214.

Edited by Johan_Kleynhans

6.1kg for the month, more than happy.

Sick now, on antibiotics for tonsillitis, although my tonsils was removed 40 years ago.

No training till Monday again (think I'll sneak a short ride in tomorrow)

I MISS BEER (23 days and counting)

A little bit of a gain for me in the last 2 weeks, but my last weigh-in was a couple of days after a 3 week trip in South East Asia and quite a long haul to get home, and then my birthday shortly after, so I'm not beating myself up about it.

I feel I have my eating back on point, I'm back to training both at gym and on the bike after picking up a cold on the flight home, so I'm hopeful that the weight will start tracking downwards again