Possible stolen ebike?

alexwc46

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen 3 hard tails today in same area and they all rode into Jo Slovo from Koeberg road in Milnerton. 1 x black Trek, 1 x black with green righting silverback, 1 x red merida. All bikes was 2 x setup. I tried taking picture but traffic was to fast. These were all 10 to 18k bikes. The riders was not normal work class earners. They looked poor. One bike had cleats a d they had plakkies.

Hope there's not a bike den in the area for stolen bikes.

I have seen 3 hard tails today in same area and they all rode into Jo Slovo from Koeberg road in Milnerton. 1 x black Trek, 1 x black with green righting silverback, 1 x red merida. All bikes was 2 x setup. I tried taking picture but traffic was to fast. These were all 10 to 18k bikes. The riders was not normal work class earners. They looked poor. One bike had cleats a d they had plakkies.

Hope there's not a bike den in the area for stolen bikes.

cleats with plakkies... reminds me of a gnarly photo I saw of a forklift degloving. That's looking for trouble, but if the bikes are stolen, trouble will find them

Besides all the crap, here's the rub for me.

If you are a cyclist, and you have spent a significant amount of money on a bicycle, then I would not be offended if I was stopped by someone, while dressed peculiarly when riding said bike, and asked about its origins. I would be happy with this as I would want someone to look out for said bike it if was liberated from me through illegal means. I would hope and pray that anyone who would know would spot said peculiarities and act upon them safely, to aid in return of said hard earned bike..

As the saying goes, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. If I was stopped, even with bias, i would be more than happy to prove ownership to put someones mind at ease. I really hope we all stay as vigilant and report these so that someone could spot a potentially stolen bike and have some hope of recovering it.

Racism is ***, stereotypes are ***, but stolen bikes being flaunted is also ***. Let's work to stop what we can.

It all depends on how that stopping to check took place.

Confrontational, or maybe something like "it looks like you may have forgotten your helmet budddy"

OR

"thanks for riding your emotorbike on the road, those monstrosities do not belong on the mountain....."

The way it takes place will determine the outcome.

I do agree with you though.

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

It all depends on how that stopping to check took place.

Confrontational, or maybe something like "it looks like you may have forgotten your helmet budddy"

OR

"thanks for riding your emotorbike on the road, those monstrosities do not belong on the mountain....."

The way it takes place will determine the outcome.

I do agree with you though.

Nah, I dunno man... I get what you're saying but I really don't mind opening myself up to even aggressive stopping, obviously without injury to myself or the bike, having it explained to me why the person thinks its suspicious, and being asked to at least show some cycling knowledge or even prove its ownership with insurance/photos/etc... Most people who drop the money we do on bikes can easily prove long term and legitimate ownership...

Again, if someone was riding my stolen bike, I would really hope anyone who was suspicious would act on that suspicion, rather than refrain from action for fear of accusation or racism/classism/sexism etc...

Nah, I dunno man... I get what you're saying but I really don't mind opening myself up to even aggressive stopping, obviously without injury to myself or the bike, having it explained to me why the person thinks its suspicious, and being asked to at least show some cycling knowledge or even prove its ownership with insurance/photos/etc... Most people who drop the money we do on bikes can easily prove long term and legitimate ownership...

Again, if someone was riding my stolen bike, I would really hope anyone who was suspicious would act on that suspicion, rather than refrain from action for fear of accusation or racism/classism/sexism etc...

If someone were to try and aggressively stop me, they would need to be comfortable with me perceiving it as a possible hijacking and responding accordingly.

So as an example, I saw an elderly african gentleman on an old Ellsworth a week or 2 ago.

So is it stolen, was it given as a gift/transportation by the previous owner.

If I stop to ask about ownership, how would that even go.

"Hello, is that your bike?"

"It is very nice, where did you get it from?" 

Immediately the guy will assume I am saying it is stolen, or am I wrong?

Now imagine a taxi see's this going down and 10 secs later you have 10, very angry people standing around you, accusing you of racism, etc. Tomorrow my face is being circulated on FB in a video depicted this scene and I am are getting digitally raped on social media.

I become instantly vilified and possibly prosecuted, fired, etc as people demand the suspects head on a stake. The described events above may be very dramatic but not unheard in our country these days unfortunately.

So I do hear you,and I too have a very unique and expensive MTB that I hope if somebody suspicious is seen riding it; that they would stop and ask.

The question is, in today's lovely RSA, how do you do that??????

I am struggling to get over the biases in this thread, 

Because the guy has overalls and no helmet and his assumed social economic basis - the bike is possibly stolen and he can not afford a replacement charger? 

What if he is an honest working man who bought this bike for his commute (and he prefers cycling to increase his fitness vs. buying a 70K car) and he has the charger at home?

Is there something I am missing here, if not then surely we can not be this judgemental?

others have assumed

but they assume in a negative way

so let me also assume

he left his sarmies at home and borrowed his mates bike to go get same sarmies

hence no helmet, no shoes, and the bike isnt right size

who is to say what the truth is

i generally try look for positives so dont assume but wait for facts

others have assumed

but they assume in a negative way

so let me also assume

he left his sarmies at home and borrowed his mates bike to go get same sarmies

hence no helmet, no shoes, and the bike isnt right size

who is to say what the truth is

i generally try look for positives so dont assume but wait for facts

so his mate has a helmet and a bike and shoes, but won't lend him the cheapo helmet, just the expensive bike?

When on holiday or a trip I often ride my bike around in shorts tee shirt and slops without a helmet

Block me and question my integrity or ask where my helmet is you will get a fat smack on the earhole

Edited by Kranswurm