Possible stolen ebike?

alexwc46

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You live in a racially tense country.. the example you cited there is part and parcel of that and something you have to live with or move away from. Political correctness.. Or more simply put.. Being aware and sensitive to things outside of your bubble is a completely different kettle of fish

I understand that we live in a racially tense country ,but let me ask you this :

Don’t you think it creates even more racial tension in SA where people sometimes get away with unsavory behavior just because they are of a certain race ?

Will my children’s children at least be able to judge a person purely on his actions and attitude or will we have to wait a few more generations before the race card gets too old to play ?

one good thing...he certainly is visible...even a motorist spotted him and took a pic ;) 

by the way we have...let me get this right...a person who is not so well off riding around on a bicycle with a motor doing deliveries for a company...bike looks like crap...it could explain  why nobody has taken a pic of him yet. 

the guy who works for me takes one of my bike home when he cant afford the taxi...lucky i dont own expensive bikes. 

i do plan on getting "him" an ebike...i might use it on the odd occasion...i will make a point posting a pic of him on the bike before he gets to take it home ...just in case...it will become the company delivery bike...it is either an ebike or a GS 1200...not sure which yet

Hi Guys,

I find it interesting that today I noticed that someone was advertising for a charger for their ebike on Gumtree.

Could there be a connection?

Hi Guys,

I find it interesting that today I noticed that someone was advertising for a charger for their ebike on Gumtree.

If there was a connection, he wouldn't have to advertise for one!  :D  :D

Hi Guys,

With facts yes, like if it is a charger suited for a trek ebike battery, if serials correlate, etc. Until then, play it safe, I'll see it as a "no, but maybe"

Page 7 and nobody has attacked OP for using his phone while driving? Come guys, focus!!

how do you know he was driving? 

I understand that we live in a racially tense country ,but let me ask you this :

Don’t you think it creates even more racial tension in SA where people sometimes get away with unsavory behavior just because they are of a certain race ?

Will my children’s children at least be able to judge a person purely on his actions and attitude or will we have to wait a few more generations before the race card gets too old to play ?

Try not to combine the fact that some people are just pigs, and will be such in any situation, not only wrt race. 'Exploiters' of all colour and creed will pick at low hanging fruit.

The race tension story will take many many generations to play out. Its a very long process to get people back to a real level playing field after being subjected to oppression for so long.

About 2 years back a buddy of mine's Mbuzi was stolen from his parents garage.

His parents live in my area...kinda. And so he asked me to keep and eye out.

Lo and behold one morning as I took my son to school I spot the bike.

Coloured guy in blue overalls. Safety boots. No helmet. 

I pull over and stop him. My temperament gets the better of me and I tell the guy that this bike is stolen and that I wanted it back. Halfway through our semi heated exchange I realized that this guy must have been pushing 70. He didn't strike me as an OG and told me that he bought the bike for R500. For some reason I believed him. But. I still wanted the bike.

I offered him his R500 back but he refused. I explained that it was a difficult bike to ride to work and that I would help him get something more appropriate. He refused.

By parking on the side of the road I kinda held up traffic. A policeman pulled up I assume to get me to move and in doing so tried to address the issue between us on the side of the road.

I was told that if I continued in my efforts to retrieve the bike. I would be arrested.

I was advised to report the bike as stolen at the police station. Then together with a case and  proof that the bike belonged to me. Only then would I be able to request police assistance in the bikes retrieval. 

Now I'm about as left as they come. I too look at that pic in the opening post and try to imagine the most plausible scenario away from the assumption that the bike is being ridden by a thief.

But I also believe that this trend of affording everyone the same liberty free from any assumptions of foul play is part of why criminals get away with this *** repeatedly. 

Innocent until proven guilty? Sure. I agree. 

But the fear of offending someone's character should not be enough to deter us from doing something when we see enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that someones property was stolen. Because if we do. We perpetuate a this social climate where the entitlement of liberties will always be open to abuse. And quite frankly, we allow crime to continue as some sort of acceptable form of collateral damage.

About 2 years back a buddy of mine's Mbuzi was stolen from his parents garage.

His parents live in my area...kinda. And so he asked me to keep and eye out.

Lo and behold one morning as I took my son to school I spot the bike.

Coloured guy in blue overalls. Safety boots. No helmet.

I pull over and stop him. My temperament gets the better of me and I tell the guy that this bike is stolen and that I wanted it back. Halfway through our semi heated exchange I realized that this guy must have been pushing 70. He didn't strike me as an OG and told me that he bought the bike for R500. For some reason I believed him. But. I still wanted the bike.

I offered him his R500 back but he refused. I explained that it was a difficult bike to ride to work and that I would help him get something more appropriate. He refused.

By parking on the side of the road I kinda held up traffic. A policeman pulled up I assume to get me to move and in doing so tried to address the issue between us on the side of the road.

I was told that if I continued in my efforts to retrieve the bike. I would be arrested.

I was advised to report the bike as stolen at the police station. Then together with a case and proof that the bike belonged to me. Only then would I be able to request police assistance in the bikes retrieval.

Now I'm about as left as they come. I too look at that pic in the opening post and try to imagine the most plausible scenario away from the assumption that the bike is being ridden by a thief.

But I also believe that this trend of affording everyone the same liberty free from any assumptions of foul play is part of why criminals get away with this *** repeatedly.

Innocent until proven guilty? Sure. I agree.

But the fear of offending someone's character should not be enough to deter us from doing something when we see enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that someones property was stolen. Because if we do. We perpetuate a this social climate where the entitlement of liberties will always be open to abuse. And quite frankly, we allow crime to continue as some sort of acceptable form of collateral damage.

Presumably him having shared the serial number with those who were on the lookout for the bike could have made the difference to the outcome here, rather than a he said/ he said on the side of the road.

By far, the majority of crime in this country will be by black folk as roughly a mere 10% of the population is white.

The chances are high that this man stole the bicycle. The chances are slim that his boss or colleague lent him this high value item to commute or fetch some parts at a supplier.

It is a matter of statistical significance. Sadly, it also reinforces stereotype which informs bias. And bias is based on the power of statistical significance. Which then, in turn, fuels confirmation bias for many whites that ‘blacks are bad’ and this perpetuates the age old racism.

Still following? ????

Only you will know where the quality of your thinking and state of mind with your fellow South Africans.

Check for that confirmation bias, Cupcake. If you have it, it can fuel racism mindset. Things are not as straight forward as it seems.

PS

No one was born a racist.

Racists is not a thing really.

A human with a racist mindset is.

Not saying the bike isnt stolen but do you guys really think a thief/skelem in a hi-viz overall would ride a stolen bike around so casually?

And if it was indeed stolen at the time the picture was taken then surely the guy would have been in a rush to get away.

A few months ago there was a thread where a guy was caught riding a 'stolen' bike in overalls. Turned out to be a mechanic working from home that was test riding a clients bike with permission from the client himself.

Edited by Mountain_Goat

Besides all the crap, here's the rub for me.

If you are a cyclist, and you have spent a significant amount of money on a bicycle, then I would not be offended if I was stopped by someone, while dressed peculiarly when riding said bike, and asked about its origins. I would be happy with this as I would want someone to look out for said bike it if was liberated from me through illegal means. I would hope and pray that anyone who would know would spot said peculiarities and act upon them safely, to aid in return of said hard earned bike..

As the saying goes, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. If I was stopped, even with bias, i would be more than happy to prove ownership to put someones mind at ease. I really hope we all stay as vigilant and report these so that someone could spot a potentially stolen bike and have some hope of recovering it.

Racism is ***, stereotypes are ***, but stolen bikes being flaunted is also ***. Let's work to stop what we can.

O I love these people with their race cards so righteous and don't you assume anything just so ready to label people but they would be the first ones to go absolutely bananas if their bike or stuff got stolen and then want everyone to do everything.

Almost all these comments are unnecessary but I am glad to see people still concerned about someone else's possible loss.

Tomorrow it could be your bike and you would like people to have a look out.

Something like this should only be commented on if you know of a bike like that that has been stolen.

But people will always have opinions and are free to express themselves without being called names but that will never happen in this country.