Possible stolen ebike?

alexwc46

Maybe all of us saffas should go on that.... I'll be right behind malema...

You've kind of highlighted whats wrong in SA in your one sentence...."If it's ok for xyz to do something wrong.. Then it's ok for me"

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I 100% agree with a level sensitivity that needs to be exercised when doing this, the correct approach is not to criticise and thereby discourage people from reporting crimes or possible crimes, but rather to encourage it and then educate on how to do so more sensitively. 

Agreed Patch, my aim with my post was to understand hence the question "Is there something I am missing here" and in subsequent posts I have aimed to raise awarness not to criticise

Absolutely... But saying 'this might be a stolen bike' is different to saying 'That guy doesn't even know it's an e-bike' or 'that guy definitely can't afford a charger' and other such things.

100%, thats was my gripe

That's not stereotyping.. It's called racial bias... And I think it's exactly what the point is...we have to move away from racial bias. I know that the US police services go on regular training to eliminate racial bias in their day to day operations

Agreed, Racial, class - we need to first be aware of our biases then decide whether we want to move away and if so, we can train/gain more opinions. My recommendation here is that we move away from it.

Maybe all of us saffas should go on that.... I'll be right behind malema...

Maybe sias, I purposefully stayed away from politics because I see the hub as a community of similar interests on bikes specifically.

That's not stereotyping.. It's called racial bias... And I think it's exactly what the point is...we have to move away from racial bias. I know that the US police services go on regular training to eliminate racial bias in their day to day operations

I'm sorry but there are certain characters I would suspect as well who would be of a different racial group (same as mine). In fact I would venture to guess that some of a similar economic class or even higher than I might be inclined to ride bikes that could be of suspect origins.

Stereotyping and racial bias can often be interchangeable. 

I've had a few things stolen from me over the years, and once the truth came out, or footage was checked, every time it was individuals from a certain group. How are stereotypes formed? By those individuals constantly repeating the very behavior and actions that lead to that stereotype being formed. People that "suffer from being stereotyped", need to shift their anger, not towards those that stereotype them, but towards those in their same group (socio economical / race / religion etc) who perpetuate the very, often negative, behavior that created the stereotype in the first place. "Hey, you're making us look bad!"

Edited by TheJ

Agreed, Racial, class - we need to first be aware of our biases then decide whether we want to move away and if so, we can train/gain more opinions. My recommendation here is that we move away from it.

See now that's a thing. Biases form from what we witness with our own eyes every day. What you are proposing is a form of willful ignorance, "innocent until proven guilty", over and over again.

How many times do you see yourself, or others, forcing themselves to back out of a certain through or bias (innocent until proven guilty), before you start going........ heeeeeeyyyy... 19 out of 20 bikes that are stolen seem to be ridden/stolen by individuals of a certain race/religion/economic class/whatever... 50 times? 100 times? On the 101th thread on BikeHub titled "Possible Stolen bike today", you wouldn't be blamed by going... it was probably a bloody ".................." again! Biases/Stereotypes can only be blamed on the very people who's behavior over and over again, created those stereotypes/biases. And the general populous cannot be blamed for using their free thought to start seeing trends and accepting those biases.

Stereotyping and racial bias can often be interchangeable.

Not really..stereotyping is a simple association while bias is a prejudice

School shooters in the US are all white males is a racial bias. All southerners are Hicks is a stereotype

School shooters in the US are all white males is a racial bias. All southerners are Hicks is a stereotype

Have there been school shootings perpetrated by "african american" or non-white Americans? If so, then it's racial bias. If not, then it's just a stat, and therefore by definition cannot be classed as a racial bias (in the manner in which we're talking about biases)

It CAN be classed as a racial bias insofar as only white americans have perpetrated school shootings, or the data shows that the majority of school shooters are in fact white male, and therefore the bias skews towards a single race, ito who perpetrates it. 

Still not a racial bias in the way you're using it.  (derogatory / racist) 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Have there been school shootings perpetrated by "african american" or non-white Americans? If so, then it's racial bias. If not, then it's just a stat.

The correct term is actually implicit bias I believe and that covers gender race and social status... It's been generalised to racial bias by popular media... And me apparently...

while everyone is commenting on the person ON the bike, no one seems to be concerned with the fact that the bike might be missing its owner?

edit: eventhough it's an e-bike... ;)

Edited by gemmerbal

There was absolutely no race (technically still isn't) in this thread until some people brought it in incorrectly, including yourself. To point out what seems to me like hypocrisy - you assumed because some people used the word "overalls" that it implies "black male", which is applying racial bias to what was statistical bias.

Stereotypes can be biased and not just "simple associations" and our differing bias opinions are living proof.

I was going to comment, but scrolled down and saw Captain Mayhem say exactly what I was going to. It's not racial bias, its statistics. The persons of whatever their race where that colour before their actions took place, not after.

As a side note, I get the feeling that my arguments may come across as aggressive - that's not my intention if anyone perceives it as such.