Possible stolen ebike?

alexwc46

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was absolutely no race (technically still isn't) in this thread until some people brought it in incorrectly, including yourself. To point out what seems to me like hypocrisy - you assumed because some people used the word "overalls" that it implies "black male", which is applying racial bias to what was statistical bias.

Stereotypes can be biased and not just "simple associations" and our differing bias opinions are living proof.

I was going to comment, but scrolled down and saw Captain Mayhem say exactly what I was going to. It's not racial bias, its statistics. The persons of whatever their race where that colour before their actions took place, not after.

As a side note, I get the feeling that my arguments may come across as aggressive - that's not my intention if anyone perceives it as such.

There was a picture though... and people were making comment based upon that picture. I bet you a million bucks if that was a white dude in an overall the op wouldn't have even taken a second look... Thats implicit bias

I answered mayhems post

There was a picture though... and people were making comment based upon that picture. I bet you a million bucks if that was a white dude in an overall the op wouldn't have even taken a second look... Thats implicit bias

I answered mayhems post

Actually, if I'd seen a white dude, or any other dude in that situation, in the same clothes and and and, I'd have made the same assumption. Stolen. 

I answered mayhems post

You are now calling him a racist. Thats not cricket.

Actually, if I'd seen a white dude, or any other dude in that situation, in the same clothes and and and, I'd have made the same assumption. Stolen. 

That's why I don't ride to work in my overalls. My commuter is not worth R70k but it's still worth a lot to justify it belonging to a "proper" cyclist. If I saw me riding my bike in my work clothes I would query it, but maybe that is just because I am a dodgy oke.

Has a giant ebike been reported stolen?

Is it a GIANT or a TREK? OP mentioned it looks like a TREK. I can't tell from the picture.

Has a giant ebike been reported stolen?

OP said it was a Trek.

I answered mayhems post

Yes, but the comments I'm defending are the comments people made regarding facts i.e. no helmet nor cycling attire (leather boots, overalls), seemingly poor bike setup and also a seemingly largely undersized frame. I can't speak for OP or anyone else regarding the bet, but I bet you a million bucks if I saw anyone on a bike without a helmet, I'd treat them with the same damning commentary, because breaking the law undermines everyone.

I know you answered, I saw it after my comment, but felt what I said applied to that too. Even now that the image was assimilated by a green martian, the bike still looks undersized and there is no silhouette of a helmet. The shoes, eh, can't tell those anymore.

edit: thought i'd point out the irony that I call the green man a martian. hah...

Edited by Dirkitech

I was going to comment, but scrolled down and saw Captain Mayhem say exactly what I was going to. It's not racial bias, its statistics. 

Lies, damn lies and statistics...…and the impact of getting it wrong.

Disclaimer : I don't have the exact numbers at hand, but the principle is true.:

In parts of London there is an outbreak of "street knife crime" and almost without exception the victims are young black men, the crimes are gang related and the perpetrators come from the same socio-economic, age and racial demographic as the victims.

The police maintained some sense of order  via "stop and search" action in the areas were it had been simmering.

It turns out that even though black males between the ages of (say) 14 and 25 constituted under (say) 5% of the UK population, they constituted (say) 50% of the people stopped and searched; thus 10 times more likely to be stopped and therefore demonstrably the victims of police bias. 

The fact that they constituted 80% of the people hanging out after dark on the streets in the areas where the crimes were taking place and the police were operating, was irrelevant.

For this reason Theresa May as Home Affairs minister banned stop and search and stabbings became an epidemic.

Edited by eddy

Is it a GIANT or a TREK? OP mentioned it looks like a TREK. I can't tell from the picture.

my apologies...it seems it is a trek as per OP and checked images of the giant and trek ebikes...colour pattern seems to match the trek.

Lies, damn lies and statistics...…and the impact of getting it wrong.

Disclaimer : I don't have the exact numbers at hand, but the principle is true.:

In parts of London there is an outbreak of "street knife crime" and almost without exception the victims are young black men, the crimes are gang related and the perpetrators come from the same socio-economic, age and racial demographic as the victims.

The police maintained some sense of order  via "stop and search" action in the areas were it had been simmering.

It turns out that even though black males between the ages of (say) 14 and 25 constituted under (say) 5% of the UK population, they constituted (say) 50% of the people stopped and searched; thus 10 times more likely to be stopped and therefore demonstrably the victims of police bias. 

The fact that they constituted 80% of the people hanging out after dark on the streets in the areas where the crimes were taking place and the police were operating, was irrelevant.

For this reason Theresa May as Home Affairs minister banned stop and search and stabbings became an epidemic.

yeah, I remember seeing that. No logic or reasoning with the rabid marxist PC mob. Cos that's what they are, after all. Those making the most noise. Those with REAL progressive goals in mind are sidelined and ostracised cos they're not "woke" enough. 

At least no blacks were victimised by being stopped and searched by mostly white policemen! Political correctness triumphed!

And then the  mothers lament the killing of their sons by blaming the white police for not doing enough to protect her poor innocent little munchkin from getting stabbed in a gang fight...

Edited by sias