Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rim ID.... 

Funnily enough, on my Mercer I was fastest on 23mm ID rims. Went to 30mm rims and they felt 'stiffer' but they also felt wooden.

On the XC dual suss I went from Crests to Spank 345's and definitely noticed improved cornering.

My humble opinion is that sommer going wider isn't always better. The WTB i29 A-sym felt wooden on the hardtail, but the Spanks felt great on the dual suss....

Good enough to spend thousands on? Nah.... not until you wreck a wheel

Fastest wheels I've had and the toughest were Spanks and they were 650b 23mm ID with a 2.4 Wolverine - Bronson combo. I did tell the 30+ ID people they were 28 ID just to seem cool.  :w00t:

Edited by Yo-yo

Wide rims, I buy into it completely.

But... going from 23mm to 30mm, would I spend money on it? No. If my rim was wrecked or I was buying a new bike though I would buy wide rims.

I upgraded from 22mm ID to 29mm ID and I think it was worth it. The tire still collapses during hard cornering at probably the same pressure but it all just feels more controlled when folding. If you run new school tires which don't have DH sidewalls you need wide rims. Or you should just run narrow tires.

Back in the day I had maxxiss 2.5 DH tires on my DH bike on Mavic 721 rims and they worked perfectly....

I managed to get a short ride in on some sections of my test track. So far so good. The first thing I noticed was how fast it seemed to roll. Grip and steering were very good. I felt slightly nervous at first but that disappeared quickly. On flatter sweeping bends where I usually pedal and feel the front give a bit there was no such thing. On Strava my times were good despite not pushing and encountering walkers and bikes Long the way. I think the pressure could be lowered from 25 to say 23 quite safely. Off the wheel, the casing feels stiffer than the Butchers despite a claimed lower weight. Weight was 929 g which is slightly heavier than claimed but still 30 less than the Butcher. More test rides to come but so far it seems to be working as I expected...

Fitted super easily and measures at the same size as the 2.6 Butcher albeit at a higher pressure...

This looks good! Someone mentioned it in a debate on one of the threads, but this does look much different at 2.5''. I'd try this out on the front with those corner knobs any day. 

And then some feedback on the RazarRock.. Murphys law, I have not ridden for 2 weeks and decided to ride up to the local radio tower. The trail down is a hiking trail, mix of riverbed style rocks and jagged reef like rocks. Needless to say, I flatted and had to plug. Was to low on pressure though, running 26PSI on that was asking for it. It was also mega windy, also into the sunset which made it even harder to pic and hit a line. Was pretty irritated with myself, luckily no ding. 

still sounds like it was a great ride out on the bike!

This looks good! Someone mentioned it in a debate on one of the threads, but this does look much different at 2.5''. I'd try this out on the front with those corner knobs any day. 

And then some feedback on the RazarRock.. Murphys law, I have not ridden for 2 weeks and decided to ride up to the local radio tower. The trail down is a hiking trail, mix of riverbed style rocks and jagged reef like rocks. Needless to say, I flatted and had to plug. Was to low on pressure though, running 26PSI on that was asking for it. It was also mega windy, also into the sunset which made it even harder to pic and hit a line. Was pretty irritated with myself, luckily no ding. 

Interesting tests done here by the Americans..They like the Aggressor.  I find the west coasters have similar soil types to what we typically have. UK, Germany etc all just shoot tires down for wet weather performance where we hardly ever have that for more than a day or two, and even our wet isn't Forrest floor slop. Aggressive dry tires performs OK in most of the capes winter anyway. 

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/biking/best-mountain-bike-tires

Interesting tests done here by the Americans..They like the Aggressor. I find the west coasters have similar soil types to what we typically have. UK, Germany etc all just shoot tires down for wet weather performance where we hardly ever have that for more than a day or two, and even our wet isn't Forrest floor slop. Aggressive dry tires performs OK in most of the capes winter anyway.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/biking/best-mountain-bike-tires

They like it for the back. Which in 2.3 guise j thoroughly agree with.

something about that tread has been bothering me for sometime ...do you recall the Maxxxxissss Advantage?

The Advantage looks like the older brother of the Aggressor. Used to run the Advantage on the front and rear, and only have good recollections RE the tyre in straight line speed and cornering.

Given the Above, I think you are onto something here TimP and that for a light trail bike / AM usage, the Agro Bro Tyre will be interesting as both a front and rear tyre.

MAXXISAdvantage26x2102016_nero.jpg

ti203a12.jpg

Fitted super easily and measures at the same size as the 2.6 Butcher albeit at a higher pressure...

something about that tread has been bothering me for sometime ...do you recall the Maxxxxissss Advantage?

The Advantage looks like the older brother of the Aggressor. Used to run the Advantage on the front and rear, and only have good recollections RE the tyre in straight line speed and cornering.

Given the Above, I think you are onto something here TimP and that for a light trail bike / AM usage, the Agro Bro Tyre will be interesting as both a front and rear tyre.

MAXXISAdvantage26x2102016_nero.jpg

ti203a12.jpg

Ya, some of those center knobs look very similar. I cant recall noticing the difference in hardness between the center and side knobs on a tyre as much as I have with this one. The Ardents are not dual compound and the center is far softer than the Aggressor. Bodes well for wear. Wondering about braking performance though  - more testing necesary.

Never mind trail/AM - I am going to go full #enduro with this thing :-) 

Edited by Headshot

never go #FullEnduro

Ya, some of those center knobs look very similar. I cant recall noticing the difference in hardness between the center and side knobs on a tyre as much as I have with this one. The Ardents are not dual compound and the center is far softer than the Aggressor. Bodes well for wear. Wondering about braking performance though  - more testing necesary.

Never mind trail/AM - I am going to go full #enduro with this thing :-) 

http://res.cloudinary.com/yaffa-publishing/image/fetch/http://yaffa-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/yaffadsp/legacy_bicycle/media/Maxxis-1_0.png

The HR II is another close contender for parenthood of the Aggressor... DNA looks pretty close.

if you take a couple of shot's of tequila and squint your eyes, then yes :P

http://res.cloudinary.com/yaffa-publishing/image/fetch/http://yaffa-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/yaffadsp/legacy_bicycle/media/Maxxis-1_0.png

The HR II is another close contender for parenthood of the Aggressor... DNA looks pretty close.

So I came here to read all about nuschool slack geometry. Exactly 2 posts about it then 12 pages of tyre wars!! Gotta love the hub.

Speaking of geometry, I just built the worlds longest slackest dh bike. 62 degree head angle, 550 reach,1370 wheelbase. As soon as I can get it up tokai I will let y'all know if it's super sick or super stupid. I'm hoping sick....

what tyres you running to keep that beast on the trails 

:ph34r:

So I came here to read all about nuschool slack geometry. Exactly 2 posts about it then 12 pages of tyre wars!! Gotta love the hub.
Speaking of geometry, I just built the worlds longest slackest dh bike. 62 degree head angle, 550 reach,1370 wheelbase. As soon as I can get it up tokai I will let y'all know if it's super sick or super stupid. I'm hoping sick....