Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to sort-of derail this derailed thread again.

What's the impression of ethirteen Trs tyres here? I recently swapped my ibex 2.4 to my rear and fitted the trs plus (the harder wearing dual compound) up front and it's been a revelation, no more freaking out in berms for a split second while I lose grip before the side knobs bite... I always thought its just me..

Thinking of bringing in some more as they're under r500 each after duties from Germany.

What's the impression of ethirteen Trs tyres here? I recently swapped my ibex 2.4 to my rear and fitted the trs plus (the harder wearing dual compound) up front and it's been a revelation, no more freaking out in berms for a split second while I lose grip before the side knobs bite... I always thought its just me..

Thinking of bringing in some more as they're under r500 each after duties from Germany.

Speak to Capricorn. He's had a few sets of em. From what I remember, they tend to square off on wide rims, but grip about as well as a Mary. Mary is better when leant over as it's got a slightly more rounded profile, which suits wider rims more. 

IMO coming from an Ibex, you'll find most other tyres grip better, in more conditions. Thinking Mary / Minion DHF / DHR / Eliminator / Asseguy etc. 

genuine grip monsters, and they are robust tyres. So they take a good beating.

But.. all that grip comes at a price.

rolling resistance is very high in comparison to anything from Schwalbe or Maxxis.

I remember the first time I rolled out on E13s front and back. I looked down because I thought the tyres were flat, bike was *that* draggy. but that's just how much rolling resistance there is. It's like riding around with a parachute deployed. urrgh.

I couldn't accept that much drag, so swopped out the rear with another brand and that helped the bike roll a lot better.

edit: E13 produced a  v2.0 of the TRS that was supposed to address the high drag of the first generation of tyres. I have one or two of  the gen 2 tyres laying around at home , the packaging of which I have yet to break. So cannot yet comment on whether the rolling resistance has improved or not.

But look out for those second gen tyres instead.

Edited by Capricorn

Lol thanks for the reply.

Must say I did notice on my last long ride at hooggekraal that my wife (yes eek) and brother in law seemed much stronger than I felt. Probably the rolling resistance. I don't really mind it on shorter rides (under say 50km or 1000m of climbing) though.

I might get a second front wheel for long rides with a more XC tyre on if need be, but I love the ethirteen for now.

The Germans only have the v1 at under r500, the v2 is over R1000. But then again they also have Magic Mary arou d r500 but it's the soft compound.

I'll get something locally then when it's time to replace tyres.

Lol thanks for the reply.

Must say I did notice on my last long ride at hooggekraal that my wife (yes eek) and brother in law seemed much stronger than I felt. Probably the rolling resistance. I don't really mind it on shorter rides (under say 50km or 1000m of climbing) though.

I might get a second front wheel for long rides with a more XC tyre on if need be, but I love the ethirteen for now.

The Germans only have the v1 at under r500, the v2 is over R1000. But then again they also have Magic Mary arou d r500 but it's the soft compound.

I'll get something locally then when it's time to replace tyres.

Soft is the one you want, and replaced the trail star compound. The super soft is the race day tyre and won't last at all.

Soft is the one you want, and replaced the trail star compound. The super soft is the race day tyre and won't last at all.

Schwalbe touted the Addix Speedgrip as the rolling faster than pacestar, but with near-enough the same grip as trailstar.

Cpelser seems more into distance riding, so perhaps an Addix Speedgrip front and Speed rear combo?

edit: here's the little diagram I was thinking of, and trying to explain above:

Schwalbe-Addix-Speed-Grip-Compound.jpg

The additional grip has translated into increased rolling resistance. Doubt it's parachute open, aka E13 TRS levels of drag though

Edited by Capricorn

Schwalbe touted the Addix Speedgrip as the rolling faster than pacestar, but with near-enough the same grip as trailstar.

Cpelser seems more into distance riding, so perhaps an Addix Speedgrip front and Speed rear combo?

I actually rarely ride further than 30km and 1000m of climbing, I just want to get to the trailhead and go down!

At the moment I just ride a 12km loop from my house the whole time with the new XCO line on Bloemendal included, I still need to conquer the large gap jump and the rock gap before the four consecutive drops then I can ride the full A-Line (which I think isn't a bad indication of skills) and from there I'll see where I go, maybe tackle Iron Monkey first and maybe one day the heavier stuff like Status Quo etc.

So definitely more into enduro/trail, yet I did also do the CTCT MTB 60km on the same bike (Evil The Following I bought from T-Bob , WHAT A BIKE)

So next will probably be a Magic Mary then.

Thanks guys! 

Edited by cpelser

I actually rarely ride further than 30km and 1000m of climbing, I just want to get to the trailhead and go down!

At the moment I just ride a 12km loop from my house the whole time with the new XCO line on Bloemendal included, I still need to conquer the large gap jump and the rock gap before the four consecutive drops then I can ride the full A-Line (which I think isn't a bad indication of skills) and from there I'll see where I go, maybe tackle Iron Monkey first and maybe one day the heavier stuff like Status Quo etc.

So definitely more into enduro/trail, yet I did also do the CTCT MTB 60km on the same bike (Evil The Following I bought from T-Bob , WHAT A BIKE)

Thanks guys! 

Yeah... I am kicking myself a bit about not having a right sized Following in my shed. Glad you're enjoying it. Stick a 2.3 slaughter on the back and a eliminator 2.6 up front and you'll be super happy you did. 

Thanks guys! 

i saw 50km in your earlier post and thought jeeptrack champs :P

But since you've declared you are actually into the fun side of MTB, what Myles said earlier about Addix soft, will be perfect. Do take it your magic mary, or hans dampf in supergravity (SG) carcass. 

• 4 weeks later...