Gauteng Road Race Championships

Vetplant

So, I like this cycling thing quite a bit.

With the GP Road Race Champs just up the road from me yesterday I decided to make the effort to go attend.

We pitched at 15h00, thinking we will see some serious excitement as this would be right towards the business end of the various races.

Firstly, the attendance seemed very sad, just a couple of Gazebo's strewn along Soutpansbergweg for families supporting their husbands, fathers, mothers, sisters etc taking part.

I have since just finally accepted that cycling is not a spectator sport, at least not for people physically attending events, even on a short course setup as we had yesterday. You see the cyclists for 10s every lap, with no idea what has transpired on the rest of the lap. I had no idea which riders were in the race and where they were placed.

We left after standing around for about 30mins.

Somebody needs to seriously consider something new to get non-cyclists excited about these events. Mount some Go-Pros on the Race Commissionaire cars and have someone narrating the action from the car as the race unfolds. Stream all of this to Youtube and people might actually know what is going on out there.

This morning, I have not been able to find out what happened in terms of results. I found Reinardt JvR on Strava and see in his description that he finished 3rd. Other than that, nothing.

And then on another tangent, can somebody please explain the whole structure of the Provincial champs and how they feed into nationals? Someone like Nicholas Dlamini and Darryl Impey who currently sits in Aus, do they get a free pass to nationals etc?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I like this cycling thing quite a bit.

With the GP Road Race Champs just up the road from me yesterday I decided to make the effort to go attend.

We pitched at 15h00, thinking we will see some serious excitement as this would be right towards the business end of the various races.

Firstly, the attendance seemed very sad, just a couple of Gazebo's strewn along Soutpansbergweg for families supporting their husbands, fathers, mothers, sisters etc taking part.

I have since just finally accepted that cycling is not a spectator sport, at least not for people physically attending events, even on a short course setup as we had yesterday. You see the cyclists for 10s every lap, with no idea what has transpired on the rest of the lap. I had no idea which riders were in the race and where they were placed.

We left after standing around for about 30mins.

Somebody needs to seriously consider something new to get non-cyclists excited about these events. Mount some Go-Pros on the Race Commissionaire cars and have someone narrating the action from the car as the race unfolds. Stream all of this to Youtube and people might actually know what is going on out there.

This morning, I have not been able to find out what happened in terms of results. I found Reinardt JvR on Strava and see in his description that he finished 3rd. Other than that, nothing.

And then on another tangent, can somebody please explain the whole structure of the Provincial champs and how they feed into nationals? Someone like Nicholas Dlamini and Darryl Impey who currently sits in Aus, do they get a free pass to nationals etc?

Eddie Van Heerden won with Jacques JvR 2nd and as you saw Reinardt JvR 3rd.

You don't need to race provincials to do nationals.

I stated it somewhere, either here or on twitter when TEG first started announcing their riders that they going to clean up on the local scene and this is the start of their dominance.

post-58906-0-63374200-1548064042_thumb.jpg

S&A you should have gone to the top of the climb at the feed zone . 

Loads of people there and a great atmosphere .

Unfortunately , having to get through all the categories on a short circuit like Union Bldgs does tend to cause some confusion especially when different categories get passed by faster ones .

Spectator wise , at least you see lots of racing . 

SA Champs there is gonna be one tough day out !!

Eddie Van Heerden won with Jacques JvR 2nd and as you saw Reinardt JvR 3rd.

You don't need to race provincials to do nationals.

Thanks.

So it is then just like any other sanctioned event, you race for the title? Other than that it doesn't give you a ticket to some sort of next level?

S&A you should have gone to the top of the climb at the feed zone . 

Loads of people there and a great atmosphere .

Unfortunately , having to get through all the categories on a short circuit like Union Bldgs does tend to cause some confusion especially when different categories get passed by faster ones .

Spectator wise , at least you see lots of racing . 

SA Champs there is gonna be one tough day out !!

That is one of the reasons I went yesterday, to scope out my movements for Nationals in a couple of weeks time on the same course.

So is the best bet to park in and around Eastwood Str, walk to the Union Buildings for the first couple of laps and then back to Tom Jenkins for the Final Lap Climb?

Thanks.

So it is then just like any other sanctioned event, you race for the title? Other than that it doesn't give you a ticket to some sort of next level?

Correct, in North West we don't even have provincials and go on and do SA's. Anyone with a racing license can attend SA's. Don't know how long they will last as this is on another level difficult. 

Thanks.

Provided you have a racing license, yes. But unless you usually race vets/licensed, I would not recommend racing provincials/nationals. It's hard racing and most of the time its not early in the morning so its flipping hot. Last time I raced provincials my race started at like 12h00 and it was super hot and dry. We finished well after 15h00. It was a really long day as my toppies category raced a lot earlier, I think he started his 2nd last lap shortly before my race started and we caught and passed them on our 2nd lap while they were about to finish.

Provided you have a racing license, yes. But unless you usually race vets/licensed, I would not recommend racing provincials/nationals. It's hard racing and most of the time its not early in the morning so its flipping hot. Last time I raced provincials my race started at like 12h00 and it was super hot and dry. We finished well after 15h00. It was a really long day as my toppies category raced a lot earlier, I think he started his 2nd last lap shortly before my race started and we caught and passed them on our 2nd lap while they were about to finish.

Haha! Nah, was never planning to ride along with those okes, can barely keep up with A-batch at events on anything more than 1% gradient.  :clap:

I'll stick to my Open Seeded batches thank you.

That is one of the reasons I went yesterday, to scope out my movements for Nationals in a couple of weeks time on the same course.

So is the best bet to park in and around Eastwood Str, walk to the Union Buildings for the first couple of laps and then back to Tom Jenkins for the Final Lap Climb?

That sounds like a good plan.

Agreed that the best spectator position is at the top of Government road.  Anyone planing to watch SA's should at least watch a couple of laps there.  Because of the short course and the number of start groups it is difficult to keep track but the riding is worth watching.

I am glad that that I had a chance to race the route before SA's because even though my age  group did not do Tom Jenkins, seven times up Edmond street to the top of Government road was also chosen with Valverde in mind.  If you are planning to do SA's be prepared for short hard climbs.

Sad that these provincial/national events are so last minute and poorly publicised. If I was King of CSA I would go through the rider data base and the seeding list (of course the internal up to date one).  Then send the top 50 to 100 riders in each cat a personal invite along with the detailed event plan and program at least 6 months in advance.  The venue and dates of would already have been announced at the previous years prize giving.

The action was up Edmund drive past the union buildings and towards the feed zone.  Lots of supporters there and shouting and feeding and agonizing looks of pain on the faces.   :whistling:  :D

Thanks.

One of the weird mysteries of Cycling in SA........

So in essence provincials is just another race and in that GNC charged you close to ASG fees for an event that was late and had no toilets in the feed zone.  

You did not even get an Argus seeding out of it.   :whistling:  :w00t:

Best place to watch is definitely past the union buildings and towards the feed zone! Lots of people there, it was chaos to try feed riders because there were too many groups on the route at the same time!

But racing was very aggressive and great to watch!