Gauteng Road Race Championships

Vetplant

When is SA Champs? I would like to come watch!

Weekend of 9 FEB.

Thursday and Friday is the Time Trial on the Rooiwal Loop.

Saturday and Sunday at Rietondale Park/Union Buildings/Tom Jenkins

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any idea when and where Gauteng champs 2020 will be?

Probably let us know a week before the event again :(

and then once you have entered, they will cancel the event.

• 3 years later...

So forward a year or 3....................

Had a look at who's who in the zoo at the past weekend's Gauteng road camps.

Shame.
Between Gauteng North that could not get the race off the ground, Central Gauteng that had to move venue, the stupid expensive entry fee and the current state of CSA with their Value-for-money-license fee (NOT!!) there were only 284 cyclist that took part.  

A total of 4 girls pitched up for the Elite woman race..........

image.png.c15a0450aac41815bdccaaf899caac6c.png

image.png.162ae3fe71db1c7c85f7fd727e96f595.png

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Spinnekop

25 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Shame.
Between Gauteng North that could not get the race off the ground, Central Gauteng that had to move venue, the stupid expensive entry fee and the current state of CSA with their Value-for-money-license fee (NOT!!) there were only 284 cyclist that took part.  

Untitled.jpg

The results are finishers, not starters, but doesn’t change the fact that it’s a dismal turnout.

Edited by Frosty

33 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Shame.

Untitled.jpg

The turnout for the Eastern Cape event is not even worth writing about.

I thought the turn out was decent considering the current turnouts you see at other road events. Racing has taken a dive in my view. Unsafe dangerous roads, cost of entries etc...

That being said, the race entry for yesterday was no higher than other races currently, well marshalled with motorbikes and a festive feedzone with tons of support. We also got a decent race distance, 130km for our group at least. Not just that 90km flat racing we usually have to put up with.

It is a real shame that the sport well at least the racing of the sport has declined over the years.

It's just sad to see everything go to **** in SA.

It was once a very proud thing to participate and achieve on provincial level.

And only the strongest in the province got selected to go to SA champs.  

1 minute ago, wattnow said:

I thought the turn out was decent considering the current turnouts you see at other road events. Racing has taken a dive in my view. Unsafe dangerous roads, cost of entries etc...

That being said, the race entry for yesterday was no higher than other races currently, well marshalled with motorbikes and a festive feedzone with tons of support. We also got a decent race distance, 130km for our group at least. Not just that 90km flat racing we usually have to put up with.

It is a real shame that the sport well at least the racing of the sport has declined over the years.

For me as an individual to participate in my Provincial champs:
Club fee R750 - cheapest that I know off in Pretoria and joining a club is required by province/CSA
CSA membership fee R250
CSA domestic racing license fee R500
Entry fee for the Provincials race R400
Petrol to get to race and back (And this could be zero if you spunge off a buddy) R200 ecl. toll

Total
R2,100.00

1 minute ago, Spinnekop said:

For me as an individual to participate in my Provincial champs:
Club fee R750 - cheapest that I know off in Pretoria and joining a club is required by province/CSA
CSA membership fee R250
CSA domestic racing license fee R500
Entry fee for the Provincials race R400
Petrol to get to race and back (And this could be zero if you spunge off a buddy) R200 ecl. toll

Total
R2,100.00

Agreed, expensive if you getting the license just to do this once off event. You could join ROAG as a virtual club which is a R140 yearly fee. That would have brought your total down somewhat.

If you race throughout the year it softens the blow. Obvioulsy without the discussion of what you actually get for your membership and license fee but that is for another discussion entirely.

I believe the decline in road racing is also due to the following reasons:

-Covid brought virtual training to the next level, making it easier and safer to train in the luxury of your home.
-More options for cyclist in racing, i.e. MTB (there has been an event Attakwas Sat and a local in JHB), Gravel events
-State of the roads (potholes, I wrote a carbon rear rim off last week, min cost to replace - R15k)
-Safety aspect training alone on the road
-Clubs organising races vs promotion companies organising races (direct impact on cost of races)

Shocking stats, but of course the pool of people get smaller as they venture to other lands. Our loss is of course another’s gain. Love to know the CSA membership numbers from 15 years ago to now.

1 hour ago, wattnow said:

Speaking to guys that I ride with, majority of them say that they no longer race or do events is because they are tired of being ripped off. From stage races to one day events, people are starting to lose interest because of the costs to do it all and would rather go out and spend that money on a trip away with the family and ride trails in that part of the country they go to. 

3 hours ago, warick_wrx said:

The turnout for the Eastern Cape event is not even worth writing about.

I see Mpumalanga was also a low turnout.

4 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

Shame.

Untitled.jpg

Nice stat Spidey..

Would love to see how it was in years past.

A quick look at my age group (50+) indicates numbers are flattish vs '20 and '18. 2019 was super low due to the tough parcour.