[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour MTB Challenge 2019

JohanDiv

I enjoyed my own race on the 60km, but was curious are there any way that they check that 60km riders do not take the short cuts via the 40km route?  

Or is it all based on your own moral compass?  

Was wondering the same thing.. On my Strava Flyby's alone I spot 7 people on the 60km route that took one or both of the 40km shortcuts. Why would you do that though? To better your seeding? Can't think that that would be it. To (cheat)beat a buddy or just too tired I guess. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall back in the day of timing chip Racetec used to have mats after the splits, and Meurant also uses his trail tag readers on routes that has splits. But this weekend, if you wanted to cheat you could easily do so. 

I took part in the 45km route at the STBB mountain bike race a few years ago and started feeling ill about a third of the  way around, so decided to do the 30km instead. There wasn't any control so I got a fantastic time for the 45km, which gave me a much better seeding for a couple of years. Now, unfortunately, all surpassed by my times reverting to the mean.

I took part in the 45km route at the STBB mountain bike race a few years ago and started feeling ill about a third of the  way around, so decided to do the 30km instead. There wasn't any control so I got a fantastic time for the 45km, which gave me a much better seeding for a couple of years. Now, unfortunately, all surpassed by my times reverting to the mean.

I once had to bail at a race, and even though I told them at the end I should not be timed I still got a time, which luckily got corrected with an email that week.

Yes you get a better seeding but that just mean you surrounded by riders that is in a different league to yourself and not very enjoyable seeing everyone pass you in the first few km.

Quite enjoyed the race on Saturday.

Had 2 issues though,

My hydration pack bladder decided to develop a leak before the first water point, leaving me with an extremely wet backside.

And my BB died within the first 5km's of the race.  Never felt so self conscious on a bike ever. Could hear me squeaking a mile away. But guess the noise motivated me to ride faster to end the assault on my as well as the fellow riders ears as fast as possible. :ph34r:

Still managed to finish the 40km route in 2H40, 35 minutes faster than my previous effort last year. So all in all a good race.

Replaced my bb yesterday after cleaning my bike and squeak  is gone at least. Thinking of klapping the 60km next year.

Also loved the race, the rain was welcome, haven't been that muddy since my childhood days. Came bombing down the hill about 48kms in, there was little bridge over a gap, almost didn't stop in time. The guy behind me was like "That was responsible" lol

My DM chainring had 1 bolt tightened and the other two "glued" with loctite after my bolt strip fiasco. Lasted the whole 60kms and still looks strong...dankie loctite.

Definitely on my list again for 2020

Seriously great race and a lot of fun.

I almost did not make it past the first 500m though.

Felt around the first corner something is seriously wrong, stopped and saw my tyre is almost down to the rim. Used my only 2 bombs to get going again and dead last in my group.

Pretty stoked that the tyre held out though and I managed to do a Sub 3h30 ride

So incredibly proud of my 11 year old daughter. This was her 4th (2 x 14km, 2 x 20km) with waking up Saturday saying she was going to go for the podium in the 20Km.

She started batch A, 2nd row. I was mid group as we also said that it would be a trial run for the WP Marathon series where she would be on her own. I averaged about 200m behind her and could see that she was 2nd lady, with 3rd lady just in front of me. After a good pace to the first water point climb, I sensed her pace dropping off, as did the 3rd lady who then passed my daughter. She promptly stood up and got onto the back wheel of the lady now ahead, re-passing her in the water point turn. At that point I new it was game on for them 2.

I never saw how the rest unfolded as just after the water point I assisted a 40km entrant with a mechanical. Lost about 10 minutes. Cruised to the end finishing 6 minutes behind my daughter.

She made the podium, 2nd lady across the line in 1:08. Really, really happy for her. All those hard 26-30km rides, with me talking her through gears, line, tactics and pace seem to be paying off.

This morning she says to me, marathon is over, now its cross-country, meaning next week at Rhebokskloof.

Some of you may have seen her, as she said that most people passing her commented on her riding. https://www.jetlineactionphoto.com/directview.php?v=&e=10045&se=4128&r=26381

Was curious what the Beta was for the event, but 5 days on and it is still not reflecting, any ideas why it is taking so much longer?

Conspiracy theory:  Maybe they do not want to load the seeding results in the event riders want to use it for re-seeding CTCT road race

Conspiracy theory:  Maybe they do not want to load the seeding results in the event riders want to use it for re-seeding CTCT road race

Racetec is busy with the TOGH this week also, sure that will also play a part.

Beta = 1.29 for the 60km

Given that previous year was a 1.49 it was much easier this time around (probably helped by the weather)

Edited by LeoKnight

Beta = 1.29 for the 60km

Given that previous year was a 1.49 it was much easier this time around (probably helped by the weather)

New seeding index improved by almost 12 points after this race :clap: