[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour MTB Challenge 2019

JohanDiv

Event Name: Cape Town Cycle Tour MTB Challenge 2019
When: 2 March 2019
Where: The Purple Windmill, off the R44 Klapmuts, Western Cape
Category: MTB

It all begins with some mountain bike racing. Saturday, 2 March 2019 sees the Cape Town Cycle Tour Lifecycle Week kick off in a cloud of dust. In seventeen years, the Cape Town Cycle Tour MTB Challenge has become the most desirable one-day event on the South African calendar. And for good reason. With 20km, 40km and 60km routes from Meurant Botha, the legendary Stellenbosch course designer, and the 40-year organisational experience of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust, it offers top mountain biking for newbies and world champions alike, as well as the opportunity to earn kudos (and a special medal) for backing up the 60km ride here with the Cycle Tour the following weekend. The three route options, which offer easy, intermediate and technical trail conditions as they get longer, and are a perfect introduction to the rough stuff for all. Entries are limited , so don’t dither.

60km – 1350m ascent – starts at 07h00

ENTRY FEE – R320 (R300 for PPA members)

The official MTB Challenge route incorporates all the elements of a proper mountain bike course and will test riders properly. We have kept the same 60km distance as least year, to make sure that this medal is one that is well-deserved. A quality rider can ride a similar Cycle Tour road and MTB ride, so take note that the 60km distance is a proper test.

Top riders will have ample opportunity to eliminate their competitors either via extended single-track runs or the big climbs that connect the various properties that make up this route.

The 60km is identical to the 40km route up to the 20km mark on Muratie Estate where the 60km riders will veer off to take on the trails at Quoin Rock, Knorhoek and Delheim Estates before heading back to Uitkyk to join the 40km route back to the finish.

The 40km/60km split will also act as a cutoff point. Note that cutoff points are strictly enforced to ensure rider safety as heat is always a prevalent factor at this race – There are 5 water points on this route.

The 60km route is open to riders aged 15 and older.

40km – 960m ascent – starts at 07h50

ENTRY FEE – R265 (R245 for PPA members)

As with the other routes, the 40km route follows the same route up to Delvera where riders will cross over to the Simonsberg section where proper mountain biking awaits. The climbing can get pretty intense and this route is certainly geared towards experienced riders.

There are plenty of flowing single-track thanks to significant trail expansion on the Muratie, Delheim and Uitkyk Estates.

Riders must be well prepared as it is almost always hot on this weekend. From the forest single-track riders can look forward to a fast return to Uitkyk Estate where the final climb awaits. The routes are hard packed and fast so the only weak spot would be your burning legs. This last ascent is roughly 3km long and climbs 150m before dropping into Warwick Estate and a last blimp to get you across the finish line.

There are four waterpoints on route.

The 40km route is open to riders aged 15 and older.

20km – 430m ascent – starts at 08h30

ENTRY FEE – R185 (R165 for PPA members)

With 430m of vertical ascent, this 20km route (with a diverse route offering) is a well-balanced MTB test.

The ride starts out fast and flowing on wide farm roads and tracks with the first single-track section at the 8km mark. From here riders enter the vineyards of the Southern Klapmutskop with several fun and flowing single-tracks and descents to follow. There are two water points on route. (Note: None of the routes access the more technical Delvera trails on Klapmutskop so riders can look forward to a flowing and fun experience.)

The 20km route is open to riders aged 8 and older.

Go to Event Page

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll probably suffer again! Low to mid 30s in the long term forecast. Last year I got hoendervleis on one of the climbs because of the heat!

You guys are scaring me.

I'll bail and just do the 40km and have beer at the end if its too crazy.

I think if you can do the 40km, you can do the 60km. If I remember correctly, most of the long climbing is in the first halve of the race, so I'd go for the 60km even if it's just for that 40min earlier start to avoid a bit of the sun.

• 3 weeks later...

The organisers sent the following reminder that entries close on Friday and some info on the routes:

"Entries close for the Cape Town Cycle Tour MTB Challenge this Friday, 22 February. This exciting event returns to the beautiful Simonsberg Conservancy on the first Saturday of March 2019, kick-starting the annual Cape Town Cycle Tour Lifecycle Week.  

The Cape Town Cycle Tour MTB Challenge traditionally offers something for every skill and fitness level and 2019 will once again feature routes that tick all the boxes. The three trails – 20km, 40km and 60km – were each designed by Dirtopia’s trail-building expert, Meurant Botha, and take in the finest riding in the Greater Simonsberg Conservancy. 

The routes were consolidated into one day and a new venue in 2018 with great success and this format will continue in 2019. The short route offers a great mix of scenery – from sheltered forest sections to high, open vineyards – and is perfect for those still honing their MTB skills or looking for an enjoyable ride with family and friends. The two longer routes (40km or 60km) are tougher and more technical and aimed at the pros and serious enthusiasts. 

“Holding all the MTB challenges in one place and on one day makes for an amazing atmosphere, with mountain-bikers of all levels enjoying the thrill of the routes and the celebrations afterwards,” explains David Bellairs, Marketing, Media and Sponsorship Director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust. “Whatever your abilities, you’ll have the time of your life, racing these routes. The 20km includes a stretch of jeep track, while the more challenging 40km and 60km routes offer some of the most spectacular Simonsberg single-track riding on farms like Muratie, Kanonkop, Delheim, Uitkyk. It just doesn’t get any better!”"

is there a way to get a late entry? 

I'm not sure, but it looks like entries are still open on their website?

probably next week tuesday i reckon, as the entries are closing tonight.

I see now that I only got my seeding on the Thursday last year..

Was also wondering when that mail will be out... I assume pre registration will be golf course again (hoping).

Was also wondering when that mail will be out... I assume pre registration will be golf course again (hoping).

MTB Race Pack and Number Collection   Thursday, 28 February 2019

Rondebosch Golf Club

Klipfontein Road, Mowbray

10h00 – 18h00

Friday, 1 March 2019

Delvera Hall

R44, Stellenbosch

12h00 – 18h00

I'm not sure, but it looks like entries are still open on their website?

Sorry, followed the link..entries are indeed closed.

I used this link: https://www.capetowncycletour.com/lifecycle-week/mtb-challenge/ 

and entered for a friend this morning.

Yes! That's the one I saw this morning when I posted I think it's still open.

Then I clicked on this one a few minutes later...

https://www.capetowncycletour.com/lifecycle-week/mtb-challenge/entries/

And it said entries are now closed.

Looks like organisers are slipping up here..

WineSteyn, follow the link Desi posted and see if you can still get in through the backdoor..