2019 SA Road National Championships

BMCfan

2 lane road(for the direction they racing). Orange cone on the dotted line between the 2 lanes(so cyclist meant to have the left lane). Cars in both lanes. Elite ladies among the cars trying to race.

It was a bit of an unfair comment......

Yes, there was only one lane to race in for the ladies which made it crazy difficult for them.  The guys on the next day had two lanes.

But the picture was of a lady getting in between the convoy behind the bunch.  All in this narrow lane yes but it was a dropped rider weaving through the convoy.........

Would like to know from organisers whether the closures were increased to what we saw on Sunday only after complaints were made by the likes of Reinardt et al. Then his comment was fair and actually improved the situation.

The way it was set up on Saturday would have been an embarrassment for SA Cycling as a whole, no way you can have proper racing and support car dynamics on a single lane,  they probably twisted some arms with the Metro to increase the closures, especially down the descent through Colbyn.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would like to know from organisers whether the closures were increased to what we saw on Sunday only after complaints were made by the likes of Reinardt et al. Then his comment was fair and actually improved the situation.

The way it was set up on Saturday would have been an embarrassment for SA Cycling as a whole, no way you can have proper racing and support car dynamics on a single lane,  they probably twisted some arms with the Metro to increase the closures, especially down the descent through Colbyn.

They would never admit that. His comment was fair.

Agree 100%.  But that is why I said "a bit".  Because it was not traffic per definition but rather traffic as part of racing.  You as a racer have to negotiate the convoy at your own prerogative and no organiser can plan or avoid that.  

That said, full road closer would have made it easier for her to get through the convoy. 

I watched the live stream on Saturday and the "organiser" which was from what I understand, GNC, said that they have learned a lot form the day (Saturday) and that they will change a few things on Sunday to make it even better.

The single lane closure was just absurd.   I can only imagine how tight that turn was down in Church street.......

Edited by Asio

Agree 100%.  But that is why I said "a bit".  Because it was not traffic per definition but rather traffic as part of racing.  You as a racer have to negotiate the convoy at your own prerogative and no organiser can plan or avoid that.  

That said, full road closer would have made it easier for her to get through the convoy. 

I watched the live stream on Saturday and the "organiser" which was from what I understand, GNC, said that they have learned a lot form the day (Saturday) and that they will change a few things on Sunday to make it even better.

The single lane closure was just absurd.   I can only imagine how tight that turn was down in Church street.......

After the Gauteng Champs, a detailed report on recommendations was given to the organisers to make the race safer, after some concerns post the Vets race.  Seems some actions were not implemented.  The Colbyn/Gordon downhill was definitely on the list.  

Edited by Underachiever

The vibe on the course looked awesome from insta... wish that CSA spoke to CTCTT when Western Cape hosts then maybe we could have it in Cape Town and not in the middle of nowhere. A little loop up Kloof nek and round would make for a great spectacle. 

Up Kloof you say :eek:  :eek:  should be very interesting.

Sjoe that was hard!! Congrats to everyone completing this MONSTER!! I'm stoked to finish this one after my bad crash almost a year ago! I sprinted Carl Lotter for 6/7th 40-44 but cramped up like never before!! I'm happy I ONLY cramped at the finish and not up TJ or before as the pace was just silly at times!!

It wasn't a bad family outing - 3rd elite women for Jo!! Very impressive!!

Nice seeing you again. Great riding SAs after that little accident last year [emoji6]

For sure, but then is LM meant to be peaking for this event or simply a helper and his season is based on being in form for Giro / Tour or Vuelta?

There a good few variable to be put into place here on why he seemed to of been a disappointment to all.

Ryan and Darryl had TDU as 1st goal of the season and of importance - their training was built around this and they carried that to SA champs. Its showed and was evident.

Just saying that the public need to stop being so critical of LM when there can be other things in place here as to a performance result.

My 2c.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure mitchelton Scott have tdu as their red letter race, with impey as their man there he would be in much better shape than guys focussing on later parts of the season. The current timing of SA champs suits him.

But he still had to get it done, muchos respect.

What a fantastic weekend. Could almost give more road racing a go. The feeling will wear off though I'm sure.  :P

Lots of gees and vibe along the route and with boosted publicity events like this will definately help build road racing and attract interest from the public. 
The route was nice and punchy making for both good spectating and racing. And boy was the weekend's racing proper. I never got to ride at all over the weekend but it was a weekend well spent. 

Full road closure would be ideal, but let's also be pragmatic. A full road closure on this route isn't really feasible or practical over two full day. However some sections could/should allow for a full closure. ie: feed zone area. 
Route management was problematic among the static marshalls, they showed no proper management of traffic or control zero interest or understanding. There was a CSA official roaming the route who took control to manage and/or defuse a number of situations, the poor guy was overloaded. But good work chap. 
The roaming marshalls, especially the bike guys did an exceptional job and dealt with the odd route issue speedily. They could be bolstered with Tshwane Metro and even more effective, pershaps a car and/or two bikes 2/3km ahead.

Take some of the age cats and move them to the Saturday, minimise the congestion and testosterone of categories mixing up. Bring Elite ladies to the Sunday. Their event deserves the same showcase and spectator support, can only be good for everyone.
The idea of different colour numbers is an easy and simple one 

On balance I think CSA/GNC did a good job overall and should be commended. Credit where it is due.

What a fantastic weekend. Could almost give more road racing a go. The feeling will wear off though I'm sure.  :P

Lots of gees and vibe along the route and with boosted publicity events like this will definately help build road racing and attract interest from the public. 

The route was nice and punchy making for both good spectating and racing. And boy was the weekend's racing proper. I never got to ride at all over the weekend but it was a weekend well spent. 

Full road closure would be ideal, but let's also be pragmatic. A full road closure on this route isn't really feasible or practical over two full day. However some sections could/should allow for a full closure. ie: feed zone area. 

Route management was problematic among the static marshalls, they showed no proper management of traffic or control zero interest or understanding. There was a CSA official roaming the route who took control to manage and/or defuse a number of situations, the poor guy was overloaded. But good work chap. 

The roaming marshalls, especially the bike guys did an exceptional job and dealt with the odd route issue speedily. They could be bolstered with Tshwane Metro and even more effective, pershaps a car and/or two bikes 2/3km ahead.

Take some of the age cats and move them to the Saturday, minimise the congestion and testosterone of categories mixing up. Bring Elite ladies to the Sunday. Their event deserves the same showcase and spectator support, can only be good for everyone.

The idea of different colour numbers is an easy and simple one 

On balance I think CSA/GNC did a good job overall and should be commended. Credit where it is due.

I like that idea.

Old ballies on Saturday and the Elite ladies Sunday morning with the Elite men directly afterward.

The EVERYONE can spectate and enjoy the racing.  

And it gives the Pros a fair chance not having to negotiate slower riders.

Edited by Asio

. Bring Elite ladies to the Sunday. Their event deserves the same showcase and spectator support, can only be good for everyone.

Good suggestion this one!

The vibe on the course looked awesome from insta... wish that CSA spoke to CTCTT when Western Cape hosts then maybe we could have it in Cape Town and not in the middle of nowhere. A little loop up Kloof nek and round would make for a great spectacle. 

Down the Glen, trough Bantry bay, High level road and back to Kloof x10  :devil:

Thanks for all the positive responses and constructive proposals. And thanks for the support it has been hard work but hell it was worth it.

To me what Daryl said on the podium was the cherry on the cake: (not exact words) "This is the type of circuit we want to race on. We want the spectacle and want the spectators. Not go out in the woods and race where no-one sees us"