[Event] Fine Breede MTB

BreedeMTB2019

Event Name: Fine Breede MTB
When: 6 April 2019
Where: Breerivier Primary School, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Breede MTB 2019

Every year cyclists stream to Breerivier to participate in the Fine Breede MTB. This year will be this popular race’s 14th consecutive year and will take place on the 6th of April 2019.02.05

Cyclists can come and put their skills and endurance to the test on our 17km, 30km or 60km routes. The 30km route is very technical and is seen as one of the most difficult races in its category in the Western Cape. Large parts of the 60km race stretches over the route annually used for the Cape Epic.

The terrain over which our MTB takes place includes large fynbos fields, cycling along rivers and and facing mountain tracks…to test the cyclists on every level.

The Fine Breede MTB is a very large economic injection for the Breedekloof valley and all proceeds are donated to our local primary school, Breerivier Primary school.

Go to Event Page

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Thinking of doing this race this year.  Any comments / suggestion / views would be welcome.

I do see there is a cut-off on the route, which I assume is around 20km or such?  

Thinking of doing this race this year. Any comments / suggestion / views would be welcome.

I do see there is a cut-off on the route, which I assume is around 20km or such?

which route do you plan on doing? I think I’ve done 5 or 6 of them over the years. Always only the long route which is tough, no shortage of rocky terrain & climbing. Scenery is spectacular. For the average Joe i’d Say the single track is technical & the descents is very fast.

P.S. these are just my views and it may differ to the next person, but I go to race, so it’s fast & it hurts.

Great event. The route has always been real mtb with a good mix of singletrack and jeeptrack. 

Pretty rocky but not unlike most races around here. Makes it interesting though. 

Bit to unfit this year, but really great event.

Thinking of doing this race this year.  Any comments / suggestion / views would be welcome.

Like others said, area is pretty rocky (and throw in the odd sandy bit) - I generally find events to be tougher that side of Du Toitskloof than around Stellenbosch/Paarl. I would say its worth driving out for.

I have done the 30km which is a lot of climbing over the distance, and as advertised, one of the toughest rides on the calendar for that distance. The last couple of years I have done the 60km. so the same as the 30 but then some... Well worth doing it if you have the fitness, but make sure you stay switched on, as there some tricky loose rocky sections. The views are amazing and the vibe at the end is always fab .. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I have done the 30km which is a lot of climbing over the distance, and as advertised, one of the toughest rides on the calendar for that distance. The last couple of years I have done the 60km. so the same as the 30 but then some... Well worth doing it if you have the fitness, but make sure you stay switched on, as there some tricky loose rocky sections. The views are amazing and the vibe at the end is always fab .. :thumbup:

Ive done the 60 a vouple of times, really love this race. Never thought of doing the 30km before, but I'm sooo unfit and need some kind of motivation. Did the 30km still include the singletracks? 

Ive done the 60 a vouple of times, really love this race. Never thought of doing the 30km before, but I'm sooo unfit and need some kind of motivation. Did the 30km still include the singletracks?

Did the 30km last year and there are quite a few single track sections. Can also vouch for the difficulty factor on the 30km, it's pretty hard for that distance.

I'm very unfit at the moment aswell but I'm also a sucker for pain so planning on giving the 60km a go this year if all goes well.

Did the 30km last year and there are quite a few single track sections. Can also vouch for the difficulty factor on the 30km, it's pretty hard for that distance.

I'm very unfit at the moment aswell but I'm also a sucker for pain so planning on giving the 60km a go this year if all goes well.

Ag v@k! Having just spoken to the wife she informed me that she will be working that weekend, which means I'm on parental duty and as a result will most likely be doing the 5km with my boy.[emoji848]

Ag v@k! Having just spoken to the wife she informed me that she will be working that weekend, which means I'm on parental duty and as a result will most likely be doing the 5km with my boy.[emoji848]

Know the feeling dude!

not ideal but an option to consider, I’m certain there was an kiddies drop off zone for a small fee not sure if they still do that. They have activities for the kids to keep them entertained until you return or for however long they want to play there.

Wil be doing the 30km for first time. The 60km does not look to bad the 30km looks like it has the most/worst climbing. Not that big difference in elevation but, not having done it before I will give the shorter route a go and see if I enjoy it.

not ideal but an option to consider, I’m certain there was an kiddies drop off zone for a small fee not sure if they still do that. They have activities for the kids to keep them entertained until you return or for however long they want to play there.

Eish... Can just imagine which option I would pick if I was his son. Mtb'ing with my dad or being stuck on a warm jumping castle for hours with kids I don't know...

Uhm jaaaaa ....

Need to check with Maritz's parents .... IF he rides, it will be the 5km

Last year he did not join me, and I did the 18km (which I see is now a 17km).  Cut the hydraulic break line when I moved the RaceTech board ... dont ask ... :whistling:   :wacko:   Drove to Worcester and had the bike fixed at King Cycles, then completed the 18 km in 59 minutes and 56 seconds  :w00t:   :thumbup:   Really want to give that route another go without the extra "fun" ....

Friend did some 7 000km last year, and rode the 30km route at this event last year .... certainly tougher than most other 30km events !!  :whistling:

Had to laugh at the prize giving though .... the organisers\sponsors seriously needs to rethink their approach.  18 km had 11 year olds on the podium, the "tough" 30km was podiumed by 16 year olds ..... the wine had to be removed from the gift packs, should have seen the kids faces fall when they looked into the almost empty gift packs ...  :eek:   ^_^   :oops:

Have you considered the 17km route ?

If Maritz joins me I may well try this, with sweets for 2 to 3 stops along the way .... put the bikes down, walk about for a few minutes, and they are recharged for the next 6km stint .... he may well walk that last sandy bit ....

Our typical day at the trails now add up to 15km, with good breaks in between the sections .... previous ride he even added a steep climb at the 14km mark.