1x10spd with 46T cassette

PjT

Hi fellow hubbers,

Anybody here that is running the Sunrace 10 speed 11-46T cassette as part of a 1x10 setup?

Their range/spacing of gears is alot like the 11speed (where Sunrace and XT are similar):

Sunrace 10 speed:

11-13-15-18-----21-24-28-34-40-46

Shimano 11 speed / Sunrace:

11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-37-46

I am willing to "sacrifice" the 17+19 split at the bottom to get the 40T up top.

Comments welcome!

PS.
I currently run a Shimano Deore (M6000) 2x10 setup as follows:

Shimano XT cassette:   11/42T
Race Face cransket:     22/36

I am considering to go 1x10 setup consisting of a Sunrace 10 speed 11/46T cassette, and in front a 32T/34T chainring. Hoping the current Race Face can accommodate single chain ring. Don't ask me which model Race Face crank I have  :whistling:  Still have to go and verify that at LBS.
Edited by PjT

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the quick reply Captain. :)

That sound like it can work - and just what I need.

I was considering it as well, read some posts and searched the interwebs. Apparantly you might need a "goat-link" to be able to run such a big cassette, I also read of people getting away with just a longer b-tension screw. 

Someone will hopefully shed some light on this.

I was considering it as well, read some posts and searched the interwebs. Apparantly you might need a "goat-link" to be able to run such a big cassette, I also read of people getting away with just a longer b-tension screw. 

Someone will hopefully shed some light on this.

Never had a problem with my SLX 10sp and 46t. Just needed to turn all the b screw in. 

2x10 already has more capacity (tooth difference) than 1x10 11-46. 

HI Brooks,

I contacted Sunrace in USA and Netherlands, and they replied as follows:

USA said:

"Chain should be OK if it is fairly new and not stretched. Your local shop can check the wear of your chain and advise whether you need a replacement or not.

The rear derailleur you need to know which model you have as there is only one model we have tested that works. That is the most recent Shimano RDM-6000GS Deore rear derailleur. SGS will not work."

Netherlands didn't say much, just provided me with the following RD Compatibility chart:

I have the GS model, which seems to be compatible.

PS. here ae links to pictures of the SGS and GS. Look at the differente shape of the housing where the clutch is located. That is how I identified mine to be a GS.

Ran a 1x46 ten speed setup for a while - very possible to do as mentioned by the other guys.

Thx for response. Are you on a 1x11 / 1x12 now?  and if I may ask, why did you leave the 10's behind?

Thx for response. Are you on a 1x11 / 1x12 now?  and if I may ask, why did you leave the 10's behind?

I went from a 1x10 shimano bike (36T front and 11/42 sunrace) to a SRAM 1x11 system (34T front and 10/42 rear).

While the 1x10 system works perfectly, the shifting is nowhere near as smooth as the 11 speed. The 11 speed was designed as a 1x system, where as the 10 speed was decided to run 2x. Of course, the 11 speed components are generally more expensive and if you go for a SRAM cassette with larger range, you then have the additional cost of the XD driver.

I went from a 1x10 shimano bike (36T front and 11/42 sunrace) to a SRAM 1x11 system (34T front and 10/42 rear).

While the 1x10 system works perfectly, the shifting is nowhere near as smooth as the 11 speed. The 11 speed was designed as a 1x system, where as the 10 speed was decided to run 2x. Of course, the 11 speed components are generally more expensive and if you go for a SRAM cassette with larger range, you then have the additional cost of the XD driver.

This makes sense .I have a sram 1 x 10 that works fine and also shimano 1 x 11 .However i still run a 2 x 10 XT and will stick to that .It just works so well i don,t want to mess with it .1 x anything is not the ultimate .Shimano 2 x 11 was still the best gear setup i have ridden to date .Except for eagle ,all the 1 x setups wear the small cogs to fast imo 

Edited by arendoog

Bandwagon jump:

Will a 10sp Sram X0 2.1 medium cage derailleur work smoothly with a Sunrace 11-46? Getting mixed feedback.

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/sunrace-10-speed-11-46-question-1068621.html

Looks like it's a "you can, but shifting isn't great" mainly due to how the upper jockey wheel is situated. Most people are saying that a 42t is the max. 

I have to agree. Ran the 42 for a longtime. Then decided i need to change to 46. Sram med cage does not like the 46t on the cassette and struggles to shift. However a sram long cage will be fine.

Bandwagon jump:

Will a 10sp Sram X0 2.1 medium cage derailleur work smoothly with a Sunrace 11-46? Getting mixed feedback.

Im running 11-42 on my xo medium cage, and theres no way it will handle a bigger cog. Not sure how the goat link will change that though.