1x10spd with 46T cassette

PjT

Slight hijack but I would like to first try it before committing. So I have a 2x10 and would like to run my small chainring and a oval 34T on the big one. Will this be feasible?

With the intent to shift between them? An oval would be a narrow wide ring, which you can't shift off or onto, correct me if im wrong anyone

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slight hijack but I would like to first try it before committing. So I have a 2x10 and would like to run my small chainring and a oval 34T on the big one. Will this be feasible?

If you do the shift manually with your fingers, yes you can. A narrow / wide ring (regardless of whether it's oval or round) doesn't have any shift ramps, and therefore won't be able to facilitate the shift between the 2 rings. 

This sort of arrangement is useful if you want a slightly larger narrow / wide ring for top end, but want to retain the 22/24t and the monster climbing capacity it offers, especially for long sustained climbs. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

You can get oval 2x...

The Rotor rings are very eliptical and come in a range of sizes and BCD to fit most 2x cranks.....

Yep. They've been around for aaaaages and are fine with front derailleurs. We're old enough to remember em. ????

Just check if you have enough chain wrap when you do not use a hanger extender. That is if you use the 11-46 cassette with regular derailleur and loooong b screw

UPDATE:

OK, so decided last night its time; and dropped the bike at the LBS this morning.

Picked her up earlier and she is now 1x10 (11/42T with 32T up front)  :D  

I had a secondhand XT crank (already fitted with a 32T narrow wide round chainring) that I got as part of a bundle deal when I bought a set of M785 XT brakes a while ago. 

There was also a 10sp rear shifter in the box.

Removed:

- Shimano M315 (Altus) brake set

- Both Deore M6000 shifters

- Front Derailleur

- Race Face Crank with 36/22 chainrings

Fitted:

- M785 XT brakeset

- XT rear shifter (attached onto brakelever thanks to iSpec)

- Moved dropper lever to spot where front shifter used to be

- XT Crank + 32T chainring (with new Shimano BB)

Decided to keep the 11/42T cassette for now, and do proper test over the weekend and see if my legs beg me for the 46T    :lol:

On the short ride back to the office- me feeling happy so far!   :D

Great let us know how it goes!

I did find when I first started on that combo that the perfect spinning gear was somewhere between 2 of the rear rings, but got used to that after a couple rides

I had a 27t oval on my 2x10. It worked great, but I am not sure how it will work with a bigger ring.

Thx for response. Are you on a 1x11 / 1x12 now?  and if I may ask, why did you leave the 10's behind?

Currently running GX Eagle 1x12 on the DS. Personally I found I needed a bit more on the high end of the cassette for some of my riding. Still have the 1x10 setup on my carbon Zaskar HT (SRAM X9 rear mech, SRAM cassette, SRAM chain and Rapide 32 Oval NW upfront) which I still ride? Never needed the GOAT Link as the SRAM mech coped.

Edited by ValeYellow

• 2 years later...

Good day,

Will a sram xx 10 speed derailleur be compatible with a Shimano10 speed, 11-46 cassette?

Or will I have to change the derailleur?

With 10 speed, it depends if you have a long or medium cage. The long cage should work. You will struggle with a medium cage. I ran 11-42 on a 10 speed setup and it just about worked. That dogtooth/goat link above will help

I thought of going the 46 route on my 10 speed with an XT med cage. I decided not to and instead put a 30t Rapide front ring on and went with a Shimano 11-42 cassette. I could only get a SRAM chain but its a nice shiny one and the shifting is better than I've ever had with this drivetrain. The 30 does mean you could run out of revs a bit at speed on the road but for MTB its been perfect and it really makes the hills much easier.