1x10spd with 46T cassette

PjT

Cool. And that is the Sunrace 11-416T - right? yes sunrace cassette 

You mentioned you have Shimano XT.  Is that with M780 shifters? also correct

Pondering if I should also swap the Deore (M6000) for XT 10ps shifter.

Will it make world of difference? I have no idea. As long as it shifts for me, i am happy. I changed from sram 10speed to shimano 10 speed so that i can use the 11-46 cassette. The shimano is way nicer than x9

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. And that is the Sunrace 11-416T - right? yes sunrace cassette 

You mentioned you have Shimano XT.  Is that with M780 shifters? also correct

Pondering if I should also swap the Deore (M6000) for XT 10ps shifter.

Will it make world of difference? I have no idea. As long as it shifts for me, i am happy. I changed from sram 10speed to shimano 10 speed so that i can use the 11-46 cassette. The shimano is way nicer than x9

I've yet to replace the cassette (or parts of it) after 2 years of riding...

Some reviews complain that the shifting is not as crisp as other cassettes. How would YOU rate the durability @Velouria. I am contemplating going the same route for higher top end.

Thanks for detailed feedback Eddy.

i am also fairly happy with the deore I have...and they are fairly new still.

I also have right/rear m780 shifter that I got with a set of m785 xt brakes. Plan is to use those. :-)

Edited by PjT

I had a 1x10 conversion on my hardtail.

Sunrace 11-46 cassette, 32T NW chainring. Sram X0 medium derailer. Only had to fit a longer B screw, and to get it dialed in was a bit fiddly. Once it was dialed in though, it was smooth sailing. To aid in shifting performance even more, I "converted" to a continuous housing and cable setup, drilled my cable stops out to feed the cable through. (old frame, no warranty's to be voided)

Did the J2C with this setup, and had no problems. 

32t oval

Sunrace 11-46 1x10

Shimano xt

Much nicer than my sram setups

Running a 30T upfront and want to do this setup, currently running XT Shadow+ RD786 I think. 

Did you need to use goatlink or something

Some reviews complain that the shifting is not as crisp as other cassettes. How would YOU rate the durability @Velouria. I am contemplating going the same route for higher top end.

I have the e*thirteen cassette on an XT setup, and I can't really complain. Are there crisper shifting setups out there? Probably. But I push the lever, hear the click at the back, and I'm good to go.

Durability wise, I can't fault the cassette. While I don't ride my MTB a lot, I've put it through some rather punishing events, and it's still good to go. Certainly no worse than anything else I've ridden.

I'm a low cadence, big blade, grind-it-out type of rider - I suspect that if you're an easy gear spin-like-mad kind of rider, you'll get even better durability. And for riders like me, that little 9 tooth cog makes the whole cassette worth it!

(I never know whether "high" and "top end" refer to the big 46t gear, or the little 9t gear :D )

Running a 30T upfront and want to do this setup, currently running XT Shadow+ RD786 I think. 

Did you need to use goatlink or something

If its a long cage, you dont need a goatlink. Also shimano has one built in.

I am currently commuting with this bike. Not sure, but contemplating a 34 for the road.

I had a 1x10 conversion on my hardtail.

Sunrace 11-46 cassette, 32T NW chainring. Sram X0 medium derailer. Only had to fit a longer B screw, and to get it dialed in was a bit fiddly. Once it was dialed in though, it was smooth sailing. To aid in shifting performance even more, I "converted" to a continuous housing and cable setup, drilled my cable stops out to feed the cable through. (old frame, no warranty's to be voided)

Did the J2C with this setup, and had no problems.

Does the continuous cable housing make a noticeable difference? Why do most bikes have segmented ones?

Eddy: mileage on the sunrace cassette so far?

Only around 600 so far. Think i am due for a chain, seeing it is a taya chain. Need to measure it.

Does the continuous cable housing make a noticeable difference? Why do most bikes have segmented ones?

Yes, less "compression" between cable outers and stops when shifting, and then also a maintenance issue, dirt cannot enter the outers as easily, so longevity and shifting performance benefits.

Just keep your current cassette to try thing out. I'm running 1x10 with the Shimano Deore 11-42T cassette and I'm very happy with it. RaceFace 32T chainring on the front. RaceFace use the "Cinch" direct mount interface.

29er YT Jeffsy.

Slight hijack but I would like to first try it before committing. So I have a 2x10 and would like to run my small chainring and a oval 34T on the big one. Will this be feasible?