Gotta love Cape Town drivers

sluiper

On my way home this afternoon and I get buzzed by a car. Pretty irritating, but I've had worse, car probably came within half a meter of me.

post-32108-0-13415600-1551110280_thumb.png

At the next traffic light I catch up to the car and glance over. The driver has a dog sitting behind the steering wheel.

post-32108-0-38379700-1551110327_thumb.png

As we pull away, I look again. The dog seems to have taken over the driving as the driver is now speaking on the phone and changing gears with the other hand :huh:.

post-32108-0-87365000-1551110406_thumb.png

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the first image it looks like another car is approaching.

And that is any excuse whatsoever, the little socialite should've slowed down, like he would've done had if you were driving a truck loaded with 17 tons of rubble, flames shooting out the side). Do you have the numberplate? Might be worth reporting to traffic authorities (get hold of the Big Cheese); I did that once and was informed in the sincerest possible way that they would do something about it (hold my breath I did not).

But really, you should have ridden on the dirt next to the road!  ;)

its fine the dogs driving cause the original driver is making a phone call ^_^ 

at least the dog missed you ... :whistling: 

#gooddog

On my way home this afternoon and I get buzzed by a car. Pretty irritating, but I've had worse, car probably came within half a meter of me.

attachicon.gif1.png

At the next traffic light I catch up to the car and glance over. The driver has a dog sitting behind the steering wheel.

attachicon.gif2.png

As we pull away, I look again. The dog seems to have taken over the driving as the driver is now speaking on the phone and changing gears with the other hand :huh:.

attachicon.gif3.png

How is cape town metro (or whoever these offences can be reported to) in regards to following up? I know there is a volunteer traffic watching and reporting service in jhb, but whether it is reliable is another story. I'd be curious to see if OP also had a nr plate and can report these to make a case against said driver?

How is cape town metro (or whoever these offences can be reported to) in regards to following up? I know there is a volunteer traffic watching and reporting service in jhb, but whether it is reliable is another story. I'd be curious to see if OP also had a nr plate and can report these to make a case against said driver?

i know there is a fred about how often everyone has to replace a mtb drivetrain but how many times a year do you need to replace your soapbox ? climb down and have a calm smile ,its stupid driving but no one died and its not worth gettting into a flap about it   :whistling:

I don't know who else experienced the crazy driver at the Tour de PPA in Cape Town on Sunday morning? Silver Polo or Toyota Run-X. Happened too fast to take note.

It was somewhere inside the last 15km where a car came past me within probably 30cm - I could feel the gust of wind as he passed me and several other riders.

Further up in the road he kept pushing into the cyclists forcing them off the road before disappearing. 

Sure, the road wasn't closed off to traffic, but it wasn't like there was oncoming traffic that he needed to claim the road.

What exactly are you wanting from this post?

If we shared every tale of bad driving and/or cycling we see, bikehub would crash (no pun intended)...

its fine the dogs driving cause the original driver is making a phone call ^_^ 

at least the dog missed you ... :whistling: 

#gooddog

Was the dog on a leash ! ?

I don't know who else experienced the crazy driver at the Tour de PPA in Cape Town on Sunday morning? Silver Polo or Toyota Run-X. Happened too fast to take note.

It was somewhere inside the last 15km where a car came past me within probably 30cm - I could feel the gust of wind as he passed me and several other riders.

Further up in the road he kept pushing into the cyclists forcing them off the road before disappearing. 

Sure, the road wasn't closed off to traffic, but it wasn't like there was oncoming traffic that he needed to claim the road.

After my morning ride and breakfast at Meerendal I was driving the last section of the PPA route.

Next moment a Polo comes FLYING from behind, barely missing cyclists ....  While I am doodling along in my car giving the PPA riders LOTS of space to enjoy themselves, only passing when absolutely safe with no cars from the front ....  The Polo parked on my platform rack, at least it felt like it as there were no free air left in my rear view mirror ....

So I just put my wheels over the middle lane ... making SURE that CA Polo was not getting past .... she quickly got the message and slowed down ....

PS - 99,9% of the riders doing their level best to stay as far left as possible.

I had a fun one last week and Thursday.

Driver is next to and starts swerving in my direction, I expected something to happen as I picked up motion in the area of his hands in my peripheral vision.

So I swerve with him and have to grind up against the pavement, he then starts to slowly swerve into the opposite lane. My first instinct was that he was on his phone.

Caught up to the car and then gesticulated to him "what are you doing, and said wake up", that is when I saw this guy was had both hands off the steering wheel and shoving a Steers burger into his face! So I gesticulated to stop eating.

THIS ALL HAPPENED DIRECTLY OUTSIDE OF A SCHOOL AND OVER A PEDESTRIAN CROSSING AREA.

I pull into our village a little down the road ... I look over my shoulder and Mr Shoving a Steer Burger in his Face comes through the boom as a resident. So I turn around to have a chat with him. As I approach I wave him down and he waves back, completely oblivious. Then he realises I was trying to get his attention and he stops. Tell him in a nice and clear way what his car was doing while he was shoving a burger in his face. Anyway, he appologises and I notice next to him are a couple of bags of Steers that he is taking home to his family to eat.

What a Chop.

Archived