Still new to biking...yes this is a rant

Wheelie87

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ag, I'll refrain from naming and shaming (for now)..a friend actually recommended William's Bike shop yesterday..its a bit of a drive but maybe worth it

I came here just to say the exact same thing. Daryn and Will over at Williams are tops. It's the only place I'll take my bike now and I can't recommend them enough!

Ask for James at the Specialized store just outside Stellenbosch. He is absolutely brilliant and will see you right. Dealt with him for a long time in Centurion, he has been at the Specialized store down there for nearly a year now.

There, the rest was just window dressing.

Louis and his team @ Knipe know their stuff, are helpful - shop around and what you can't do he can - plus he has loads of spares etc for reasonable money

Ag, I'll refrain from naming and shaming (for now)..a friend actually recommended William's Bike shop yesterday..its a bit of a drive but maybe worth it

Sounds like Cycle4Life to me..  :whistling:

Louis and his team @ Knipe know their stuff, are helpful - shop around and what you can't do he can - plus he has loads of spares etc for reasonable money

My experience with Louis is that he REALLY only charges for what you asked him to do. He does not go beyond that, and if he has to, will let you know of what is needed before doing anything. 

You literally get what you pay/ask for.

This in my books is what exceptional service looks like.

@wheelie, what tyre was it? I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say it was a spaz store, and the tyre was most likely an Eliminator, Hillbilly or Butcher. The E & H are great tyres, the Butcher not so much. BUT - that's no excuse for the service you received, and the shop assistants should really be trained in all the details of the stock they carry. 

How long is this usually ?

Tyres start to degrade the moment they leave the mold. Storing in a cool dry place is the best storage solution, but they will still be degrading. So best you dont leave them for to long.

We also have no idea as to how long they have been stored before we get our grubby paws on them.

Learnt this the hard way with tubbies recently [emoji2959]

I don't believe the stories of that guy who didn't win 7 TDF's keeping tubbies in a cold dark place for years or something ... k@k man they'll just fall apart when you use them!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hey Wheelie87 sorry you got such bad service dude. 

Not every LBS is like that I can promise you that. It may take some time but you'll find one you happy to spend your money at. 

FYI, you say you're recently married and the missus doesn't like you spending money on biking stuff... Understandable... My missus thinks most things on my bike cost R400 and she's still confused because "my friend" said I could use his Mavic's but he's still not asked for it back.....

lol, dude i need my mavics back!! laughed so hard for this.

i cant bring myself to tell the wife these stories....i'll give my own game away.....my creativity is limited and im no match for her interrogation skills!

think OP was right should have been charged demo price. drop them man.

Ag damn. What a sh#t experience. Like some said. Buy tools and things and learn to do the basics yourself. Eventually even the more complex things. That being said. There are great LBS out there. Stoke. Knipe. William. The ones I know at least.

Not sure why suggesting other shops in the OP's town will help ....

"This is just one of MANY (many, yes many) such experiences at all the LBS's in my town over the last three years of my short cycling career."

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Haha thanks..I bought her a bike but ended up having to sell it after a year or so..not her thing. She's into horse riding (the original MTB) and to my surprise (so far) it's much cheaper than MTB'ing, but only time will tell.

Horse riding cheaper than mountain biking? Maybe horses don't need any brand name kit. 

But are you sure that she has not got some cycling buddies who have been coaching her on how to explain her riding budget to her SO.  :whistling:

Not sure why suggesting other shops in the OP's town will help ....

"This is just one of MANY (many, yes many) such experiences at all the LBS's in my town over the last three years of my short cycling career."

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes, sadly so, way too many horror stories at many of the LBS outlets ....

HOWEVER - this thread once again confirms the power of "word-of-mouth", ALSO the positive results when at least 4 stores rise above the rest and provide consistent GOOD service.

Bru, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours to find a decent LBS. I have tried K@k hard and have eventually just given up and settled for the one that treats me the best. If I take my bike to the shop I expect some kind of disappointment (lets call this expectation management).

My advice, get yourself sorted with some tools and learn how to do the work yourself. Its not very difficult, Youtube is your friend. over time you'll build up your confidence and before you know it you'll be seating tubeless tyres, replacing spokes, bleeding brakes, tuning gears and servicing the lowers on your fork. 

You will not be able to avoid the bike shop completely, unfortunately ( I aint buying no bearing press kit for 5k!!), but when you do go there maybe take a couple of beers along to have with the guys working on your bike. 

Archived