Why they pushing???....

Kenty

So the Epic is just a walk in the park ? :whistling:

The guys in that photo could have done with a few more walks around the park before tackling the epic.

They already have the Mid-pack Enduro Rider Boep, they are pushing up a rideable climb, all they need is lycra and they and the endurobros could be thick as thieves.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys in that photo could have done with a few more walks around the park before tackling the epic.

They already have the Mid-pack Enduro Rider Boep, they are pushing up a rideable climb, all they need is lycra and they and the endurobros could be thick as thieves.

Ps: what you see at the last half of the epic is not necessarily good form or good training or fitness, but lots and lots of vasbyt.

Okay, with Friday a distant memory .... time for a slightly more factual answer.

Spoke to my friend that completed the 315km Trans Xhariep.  At some point you get of the bike and walk, not because of a hill or being tired, simply to get different muscles to work for a few minutes, then it is back in the saddle ....  

Another thing to remember: terrain almost always looks far tamer in a picture than it is in reality.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Okay, with Friday a distant memory .... time for a slightly more factual answer.

Spoke to my friend that completed the 315km Trans Xhariep.  At some point you get of the bike and walk, not because of a hill or being tired, simply to get different muscles to work for a few minutes, then it is back in the saddle ....  

My Motto on the Freedom Challenge is 'never let a false flat get in the way of a good walk'...

Without all the theatrics, it is sometimes more economical to push than to ride. Regardless of the terrain.

Just like 85% of trail 'runners' walk pretty much every incline. 

It's more exhausting to ride 12m, get off, push for 10m, get back on and ride for 12m while playing yo-yo with the other guys around you than it is to form an orderly line and push while talking smut and saying really important words like #gnar and #loam and asking each other if they are all #readyforshreddy!!!

Never under estimate the value of a 5 minute walk.

Walking is sometimes needed.

I did the Munnik Meerkat today and have to admit that I pushed up 1 of the hills. Decided to rather push and conserve some energy. A number of hardtail riders were pushing as it was very loose, the dualies seemed to get up easier.

Arent there usually stacks of pics of Epic riders walking down the slightest hint of a rock garden? 

*Aren't...

A simple Google search will tell you how far that poor chap, pushing up to Dead Man's Tree, got into his Epic adventure.

I'm however sure I will find pictures of everyone pushing somewhere - happens to all of us.  ;)

Huh, lipstick excuses.

They don't walk the munga to get different muscles to work. Only exception is Vetseun who hopped between two feeding zones but that was because he had an itch on his right foot.

5-They are fat and unfit.

6 - They enjoy themselves. 

The couple of enduros I've been to I've enjoyed more than any other event. Everyone on the mountain is lekker. You don't have to deal with some dick in lycra that started 4 groups behind you shouting at you to get out of his way because he thinks he's faster. 

Nobody is worried about who's fat/unfit, who has the biggest front chainring, who has carbon soles on their shoes, who's got the most expensive bib, who's top tube isn't cracking from siting on it.

Everyone just wants to smash a couple of trails and have beer afterwards. And the day you don't have an issue with that, you have a good ride with your mates, not your Strava times.