Broken Clavicle - Your experiences

.................... I'm actually in the process of selling my PS4 to buy an IDT for those exact reasons. I'm entered into my first Trans Baviaans with some very strong family this year (a sub-10 TB Savage nonetheless) so this has put a serious knock in my training plan. Let's hope my IDT shenanigans can at least get me started again.

I previously broke it about 2 months before a Wines 2 Whales and did a lot of very good training on the IDT. As soon as I was pain free and my surgeon was satisfied, about 2 weeks after the plate, I started doing IDT sessions. I simply hated the longer ones and got terribly bored, so I did mostly short sharp intervals. 10 minutes warm up, then 5 x 1 minute 100% effort intervals with 1 minute easy recovery between each, then 10 minutes easy cool down and it's done. The secret is not to cheat with the 100% efforts. Rather do fewer in the beginning, but don't reduce the intensity.  Sounds simple, I know, but it worked like a bomb. I started from a good base fitness and that 5 times a week made me strong as an ox. The W2W was a breeze, but I found that my upper body and core took a beating, so this time I'll incorporate specific exercises for that, especially for back, neck & shoulder (not too soon) muscles. Otherwise they suffer if you don't spend your hours in the saddle.   

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All breaks are different. .................

Absolutely true and the very reason a good orthopaedic surgeon who specialize in arms / shoulders should be consulted  for anything more than a very simple / partial fracture without displacement of the joint or any complications.

Welcome cyborgs broken feamer and broken clavicle. Was of for 2months bt back on bike. Still have all my hardwear in.

I did mine last year, right at the shoulder joint and at a funky angle.  I had to get the dreaded hook plate.  That thing is awful and I don't recommend it at all.  I still have pain when lying on that side for a while and the joint seems to 'pop' when I'm swimming.  Otherwise it's not too terrible.  I was on the IDT after two and a half weeks after the plate was put in and at four weeks I went on a 260km MTB ride around the Cererberg for 14 hours.  Proper trails after about six weeks.

BUT, there was a lot of pain.  not specifically when riding, just all the time.  That hook was apparently pushing the bone down onto the rotator cuff and it was mega uncomfortable. 

I found that my doctor recommended the OP a bit too quickly. I queried it and then he supported me to proceed without the OP. Retrospectively I am very happy with that decision. The initial recovery is slower without OP but you don’t need a second recovery period and cost after the plate removal OP (which not all medical aid will pay).

I didn't have a choice since half of my bone was pointing skywards and the other half, who knows...  I feel that my recovery was awful and very painful. Also, after the second surgery to remove the plate there was a night and day difference.  A weight had literally been lifted.  No more continuous pain.  And I went on a 120km ride two days after the op.  I'd say the recovery time after the second op was really not an issue at all and shouldn't deter you from getting the plate in the first place.  

No need to remove the plate. Surgeon recommended to only take it out if it bothers you.

Mine has been in there for three years. Still feel it now and then but does not bother me enough to take it out

Depends on the plate.  if your break is in the middle of the bone and it's a flat plate then I believe it can stay in if its not bothering you.  For me and the hook plate I was told that it'll do more damage than good if it's left in there after the bone has fused, and I'd definitely agree with that based on the pressure I felt from it every day. 

Sounds like you are buddies with Lector. What kind of sadistic maniac will tell a friend to let it heal on its own.

This in not the 1600s, get a plate if you can! Do you vaccinate your kids?

Lots of risks with getting the plate. If your alignment allows it and the break is not close to the joints the plate is not needed. So why take the risks of this invasive procedure. Just for the comfort of getting on the bike quicker? Meh...

Keeping the plate in is also not necessarily a good idea. Your bone does not grow strong with the plate present adding all that stiffness. Bone grows only when and where it is needed. Further your collar bone is supposed to break on this particular direction of impact in order to preserve more important joints and parts of your body. Another hard fall with the plate still in could cause more trouble than just breaking a collar bone.

Anyway, since it is not the 1600 we can all have our own preferences :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I can say is it’s only a matter of time until someone falls, and when they do, they better have medical aid AND gap cover.

I broke mine in Sept 2018 which didn’t require surgery.

I then broke it recently min Jan 2019 which required surgery. Was quite a bad break and the bones were completely overlapping and about to break through the skin. I used a hospital within the Discovery network etc. The bill came to around R95k. To put it into perspective, Discovery at their 100% rate only paid about R32k. Gap cover paid the remaining R54k.

So just have some sort of cover and know the potential costs of falling can be significantly higher than you may think.

Edited by Stupak

My fracture was relatively simple, just a clean diagonal fracture through the center of the bone. Went for my two week follow up today, doc says everything is healing up well so no need for the surgery.

Picked up my IDT today, just need to get a trainer tyre and I'll be ready.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Seems I came off lightly...

My fracture was relatively simple, just a clean diagonal fracture through the center of the bone. Went for my two week follow up today, doc says everything is healing up well so no need for the surgery.

Picked up my IDT today, just need to get a trainer tyre and I'll be ready.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Seems I came off lightly...

Hey, that is a good ending. Heal well and enjoy the IDT pain cave :)

My first Fracture was a Clean Break and healed up with no issues.

I still cycled back Home from the Hospital in 2009.

The second time it Broke lowered down from the First. Leaving the shoulder a little skew. 2012

Due to the ILL alignment of the sling the bones grew back over lapping each other.

I did try commenting to any of the Doctors, on the day and in the week thereafter.

I did not have any major issues and recovery was 2 to 3 weeks.

Second Brake gives me Trouble with trying to carry a heavy backpack for long periods.

Edited by F.R.A.I.L. -K

I am just consistently aware of my shoulder. It is always uncomfortable. Sometimes sore but not often. 

Physio and dr said it will take me about 6 months before I can ride my bike again. Took me 3 months. Did all the exercises as recommended. I also tried do do everything on my own before asking for help. Left arm was sore with all the "extra" work. 

But I still lost fine motor skills and lots of power. I can not play squash or golf anymore. I just do not have the power that I had before hand. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I managed to plant myself on my left shoulder today. Hurts plenty (dull ache, not sharp stabbing pain), but nothing poking through. I can move my arm (but not higher than my shoulder).

I will wait to see...

So I managed to plant myself on my left shoulder today. Hurts plenty (dull ache, not sharp stabbing pain), but nothing poking through. I can move my arm (but not higher than my shoulder).

I will wait to see...

I would have it checked out. Even if nothing is broken, ligaments can be damaged and you don't want to risk longer term damage or loss of function by missing it. Make an appointment tomorrow if in any doubt.

Lots of risks with getting the plate. If your alignment allows it and the break is not close to the joints the plate is not needed. So why take the risks of this invasive procedure. Just for the comfort of getting on the bike quicker? Meh...

Keeping the plate in is also not necessarily a good idea. Your bone does not grow strong with the plate present adding all that stiffness. Bone grows only when and where it is needed. Further your collar bone is supposed to break on this particular direction of impact in order to preserve more important joints and parts of your body. Another hard fall with the plate still in could cause more trouble than just breaking a collar bone.

Anyway, since it is not the 1600 we can all have our own preferences :)

You medical professional? Reason for asking is that I asked my ortho exactly that questionand was told that bonebdoes groe back as strong as it used to be

I would have it checked out. Even if nothing is broken, ligaments can be damaged and you don't want to risk longer term damage or loss of function by missing it. Make an appointment tomorrow if in any doubt.

I think I just might do as you suggest. Wife is PO'd, but it is what it is.

All I can say is it’s only a matter of time until someone falls, and when they do, they better have medical aid AND gap cover.

I broke mine in Sept 2018 which didn’t require surgery.

I then broke it recently min Jan 2019 which required surgery. Was quite a bad break and the bones were completely overlapping and about to break through the skin. I used a hospital within the Discovery network etc. The bill came to around R95k. To put it into perspective, Discovery at their 100% rate only paid about R32k. Gap cover paid the remaining R54k.

So just have some sort of cover and know the potential costs of falling can be significantly higher than you may think.

Don't tell them you have gap cover. Bill would have been R33 000.00

You medical professional? Reason for asking is that I asked my ortho exactly that questionand was told that bonebdoes groe back as strong as it used to be

Haha, probably worse. I am structural engineer grown up in a family of physicians who went through the process of nursing a f’d up CB.

Bonecells densify the bone matrix where there are mechanical stress peaks. Your bone may well heal stronger at the place of the break especially if geometric imperfections make it thicker there.

The more important point is that the opposite happens if you use a plate. So after removing the plate the bone is too weak where the plate used to be. Thus you need another period of recovery to allow your body to strengthen this area. This double recovery period is often ignored when the plates are discussed. And that is simply a risk to the patient... since we all tend to run back to our bikes as quick as we can;)

Anyway, the purpose of this write up is to make you discuss these things with your surgeon. In some cases you may have a choice so discuss the options properly :)