[Event] PHILADELPHIA MTB

Annemart

Just got the SMS

50k starts at 07:50.  Not sure about the 13km

Iv received no confirmation of mine or my mtb kids (upliftment project) entries. What time does the 50km and 13km start?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv received no confirmation of mine or my mtb kids (upliftment project) entries. What time does the 50km and 13km start?

as per Simon 50km will start 7:50 then 13km will probably start roughly 8 to 8:15am

My results show on Racetec.

This event gets a 10 out of 10 from me. If you want to do everything right then do what these guys did. It was superb and if you missed it, then you missed out big time. Ample parking, well organised, route was impeccably marshaled and marked. They even had an ATM at the venue.

My only recommendation would be an extra route that does the two hills and river sections with as little farm roads as needed in between, not a big fan of riding farm fields as mile fillers.

And, as always, my recommendation to other riders would be to upgrade to flat pedals because everything was ride-able but I guess just not for those who are clipped in.

Personally I took it very slow after my 70th blood donation yesterday, it and all the red wine I had last night meant I had to take 2 Mybulens and 2 Alergex with my pre-race Monster Rehab. Did manage to take a few nice pics.

post-38519-0-59746300-1553954691_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-55613500-1553954702_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-97556100-1553954712_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-09094200-1553954738_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-71121900-1553954745_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-94639700-1553954753_thumb.jpg

post-38519-0-62564100-1553954763_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what happened to the big bloke that had a fall almost at the end of the Koeberg descent? When I came past the ambulance was making it's way up to him. 

Fun non technical event - saw some guys on gravel bikes but they are certainly better bike handlers than I am.

Big climb up Koeberg to the mast which used to be at the start of this event as I recall but now comes at about 60km. 

The big guy had a huge fall. I got there just after it happened - two other people saw it happen and called the emergency number on the board. I stuck around feeling helpless but wanting at least to help see that he was as comfortable as possible. Shattered helmet and was out cold but breathing as the first response vehicle got there. 

Bearded chap in his mid 20's I'd guess - speedy recovery rider - the eyewitness said he'd not seen someone hit their head that hard.

Sportif tomorrow morning - I forsee a slow mooch in one of the lower groups for this Mamil.

Again the Philly nearly broke me. Cramps set in from 50km. A little to fast a start I guess.....on a new 1x12 setup with 170 cranks. Took me virtually same time for first 50km as for last 36. Had to walk some of Koeberg. Jirrreee

It's really deceiving cos I guess it suits the "roadies" stamina a bit more. I prefer the technical where I can shine more lol. And there were some technical sections Mamil(rocky, off camber, sand) so wouldn't necessarily call it non-technical.

Agree with Rouxenator - too much gravel road miles. Whos keen to cut some more single track? Also, think I prefer to do Koeberg first...so route as last year. But that's just me....

Agree it was very well organized. Very impressive.

That bloody hill broke me. To the extent it made the downhill and everything afterwards more difficult than it should have been. Trying to concentrate when knackered is hard.

Took a tumble but hey. Get up and ride.

Will be back.

Did the mini 13km this year with three young boys who live on our family farm, a sort of project to introduce them to mountain biking, get them outdoors, bit of development etc. The kids LOVED the race. It was their first ever one (hence joining them) and they couldn’t believe they got chocolates at the water table and coke PLUS a medal at the end and to top it all, a jumping castle awaited them. It was an eye opener seeing it from their perspective, how easily we take the small things for granted.

Thanks to the Laubschers of Altona and the organizers for this event! Next year Im back (on my longer distance again)

Massive thanks to the gents who helped my one rider and I with his technical in the first few kilometers of the race, much appreciated

Did the mini 13km this year with three young boys who live on our family farm, a sort of project to introduce them to mountain biking, get them outdoors, bit of development etc. The kids LOVED the race. It was their first ever one (hence joining them) and they couldn’t believe they got chocolates at the water table and coke PLUS a medal at the end and to top it all, a jumping castle awaited them. It was an eye opener seeing it from their perspective, how easily we take the small things for granted.

Thanks to the Laubschers of Altona and the organizers for this event! Next year Im back (on my longer distance again)

Massive thanks to the gents who helped my one rider and I with his technical in the first few kilometers of the race, much appreciated

I saw the pics on Strava, awesome project! Thanks so much for getting more people into MTB riding. Really awesome of you do forego the usual long route to show these kids the thrills and challenges a bike can give.

Kudos to you  :clap:

Ja you're right there were one or 2 tricky bits. Sand forced me to dismount twice but for tje most part its a cross country gravel grind. I don't mind all the farm roads etc. Good for fitness and I love the views and being in places that are normally closed.

And I just love being on my bike.

I did think at one point that this ride could give a person an inflated sense of fitness bit that was before that series of brutish climbs up to the masts.

Again the Philly nearly broke me. Cramps set in from 50km. A little to fast a start I guess.....on a new 1x12 setup with 170 cranks. Took me virtually same time for first 50km as for last 36. Had to walk some of Koeberg. Jirrreee

It's really deceiving cos I guess it suits the "roadies" stamina a bit more. I prefer the technical where I can shine more lol. And there were some technical sections Mamil(rocky, off camber, sand) so wouldn't necessarily call it non-technical.

Agree with Rouxenator - too much gravel road miles. Whos keen to cut some more single track? Also, think I prefer to do Koeberg first...so route as last year. But that's just me....

My results show on Racetec.

This event gets a 10 out of 10 from me. If you want to do everything right then do what these guys did. It was superb and if you missed it, then you missed out big time. Ample parking, well organised, route was impeccably marshaled and marked. They even had an ATM at the venue.

My only recommendation would be an extra route that does the two hills and river sections with as little farm roads as needed in between, not a big fan of riding farm fields as mile fillers.

Hi Rouxenator. Thanks for the positive post. The big oke is okay. Had to overnight in hospital with a few bruises. We will definitely take the advice on the shorter root. Will be better next year

And, as always, my recommendation to other riders would be to upgrade to flat pedals because everything was ride-able but I guess just not for those who are clipped in.

Personally I took it very slow after my 70th blood donation yesterday, it and all the red wine I had last night meant I had to take 2 Mybulens and 2 Alergex with my pre-race Monster Rehab. Did manage to take a few nice pics.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190330_070207.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20190330_072330.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20190330_072518.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20190330_081805_stitch.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20190330_102336_cr.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20190330_112328_stitch.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20190330_121309_stitch_s.jpg

Anyone know what happened to the big bloke that had a fall almost at the end of the Koeberg descent? When I came past the ambulance was making it's way up to him.