If you could have one mountain bike, would it be a trail or XC bike?

Craig Armstrong

If you could have one bike, would it be trail or XC?  

208 members have voted

1. 1. If you could have one bike, would it be trail or XC?

• Trail
    • XC

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... Most people on XCO bikes in SA are on the wrong bike.

I can attest to this. I only recently started riding a trail bike (140mm HT). What a Revelation!

I feel some bike shops are partially to blame for this. Walk into a big store like Cwc or bike-addict. Most bikes on their floor will be xc bikes. Because that is what the pro's ride. I feel they have a obligation to help and steer newbie rider who want to start mountain biking to better suited bikes or at the very least warn them on the limitations of the bike they are buying.

I'm not talking about the guy that buys a hardtail because he is on a budget, we've all been there. I'm talking about the guys who buys Scalpal's or Epics who would be better off with a more relaxed bike.

This is why I almost never go to a bike shop to buy goods. Variety is very lacking. No stock of anything remotely similar to what I would be looking for. Which is why I mainly buy online from overseas sites. Also the bargains from overseas stores are awesome.

Basic spares locally is no probelm though. Trying to find enduro, DH stuff locally is a major task.

And I know the Grease Monkey's idea of riding has changed since he moved to down to the colony, but I think he has gotten involved with the wrong crowd down here, they are a bad influence on him.

Ja, julle is 'n klomp skollies! Maar gelukig het julle my gewys wat lekker fiets ry is!

I feel some bike shops are partially to blame for this. Walk into a big store like Cwc or bike-addict. Most bikes on their floor will be xc bikes. Because that is what the pro's ride. I feel they have a obligation to help and steer newbie rider who want to start mountain biking to better suited bikes or at the very least warn them on the limitations of the bike they are buying.

I'm not talking about the guy that buys a hardtail because he is on a budget, we've all been there. I'm talking about the guys who buys Scalpal's or Epics who would be better off with a more relaxed bike.

No Marathon is what sells.

If more people walked into their LBS aand asked for a 130/140mm trail bike then there would be more available. But sadly they don't, they ask for a XC or Marathon bike because thats the type of events they want to participate in and therefore they want a tool to suit. There's no #Enduro or anti DH /FR conspiracy being promoted by the CIA.

The only limitations to the XC bikes is the rider themselves.Asking them to buy a longer, heavier less nimble trail bike isn't going to make they a better or more confident rider. Coaching and progression through the basics is what develops the necessary skill.

Take a snap shot of modern MTB and its not a little middle class sport anylonger. The people who are spending the money don't have 2 hrs a day to work with a mtb skills coach, they have businesses to run.

Just taking HS banter about a trail bike being a better bike to learn on - There is a lot of truth in that thinking but its not true that its the only way. It could therefore also be argued very strongly that the best bike to learn to MTB is an E-Bike !!!!

SO thanks HEadshot fr answering that persistent queston "Do E-bikes belong on the mountain?"

all those advocates for trail bikes would need to shout a resounding Hooooppaaaallaaaaa YES!

Edited by DieselnDust

I'd go for an Evil Following MB as my all rounder... climbs pretty well, goes down like a mad beast and swap out the wheels n' tyres and pretty happy to punch out the miles or a bit of a race. For SA I firmly believe a short travel, aggressive trail 29'r is pretty much perfect (with the geo and suspension taken into consideration). 

Edited by T-Bob

I'd like to ride the Propain Hugene. That looks like a good all around trail bike that can do a bit of everything. 

Other than that the Ibis Ripley LS would be top of my list. 

I upgraded to a ST Stumpjumper in August last year. Man, what a bike. I love it and it makes me way more confident on the trails than I am capable, but I’m ok with that :)

If more people walked into their LBS aand asked for a 130/140mm trail bike then there would be more available. But sadly they don't, they ask for a XC or Marathon bike because thats the type of events they want to participate in and therefore they want a tool to suit. There's no #Enduro or anti DH /FR conspiracy being promoted by the CIA.

The only limitations to the XC bikes is the rider themselves.Asking them to buy a longer, heavier less nimble trail bike isn't going to make they a better or more confident rider. Coaching and progression through the basics is what develops the necessary skill.

Take a snap shot of modern MTB and its not a little middle class sport anylonger. The people who are spending the money don't have 2 hrs a day to work with a mtb skills coach, they have businesses to run.

Just taking HS banter about a trail bike being a better bike to learn on - There is a lot of truth in that thinking but its not true that its the only way. It could therefore also be argued very strongly that the best bike to learn to MTB is an E-Bike !!!!

SO thanks HEadshot fr answering that persistent queston "Do E-bikes belong on the mountain?"

all those advocates for trail bikes would need to shout a resounding Hooooppaaaallaaaaa YES!

And yet if you walk into most bike shops and ask for a trail Bike tyre then they either don't have stock or advise you to buy an Ardent.

It's like when someone on the hub asks for a tyre recommendation for stage racing, and Magic Mary I'd the first answer given. Oh wait....

I'd go for an Evil Following MB as my all rounder... climbs pretty well, goes down like a mad beast and sap out the wheels n tyres and pretty happy to punch out the miles or a bit of a race. For SA I firmly believe a short travel, aggressive trail 29'r is pretty much perfect (with the geo and suspension taken into consideration). 

Hands down the best all round bike if money is not an object to you. Extremely versatile bike!

Hands down the best all round bike if money is not an object to you. Extremely versatile bike!

Yeah... Still kicking myself I didn't buy yours at that price. Worst timing ever. I'd just sold my L that was a touch too big and had been looking for a M then bought a new frame the day before you ad dropped. How is the Sentinel v The Following? I'm liking the Ripmo but miss the following for the flat out labrador puppy, goofing off, bmx with big wheels that the evil was. 

Yeah... Still kicking myself I didn't buy yours at that price. Worst timing ever. I'd just sold my L that was a touch too big and had been looking for a M then bought a new frame the day before you ad dropped. How is the Sentinel v The Following? I'm liking the Ripmo but miss the following for the flat out labrador puppy, goofing off, bmx with big wheels that the evil was.

If only you and I got in touch earlier haha, I wanted a large!

Sentinel vs Following - a little bit unfair to compare the two since they are so vastly different, and I do need more time on the Sentinel to give fair comment. A more fair conparison would be Smuggler vs Following or Sentinel vs Wreckoning.

But, in short - the Following was much more versatile than the Sentinel, much more playful, and the rear suspension was hands down better - suppple off the top and very progressive. Like you said, a bmx with big wheels! I will probably regret not having bought a Large until the day I have money to buy an Offering.

The Sentinel - wheelbase is 100mm longer, reach longer, and STA much steeper. In short - confidence, confidence, and more confidence. It's a heavy monster truck, which has already given me the nuts to clear a few rocky lines I have not done before. It's harder to throw around corners in the beginning but once you get your head around the fact that you must weight the front wheel, it has immense grip. And I think this comes down purely to it being the right size for me - but it climbs better than the following, not faster - but much comfier seated position.

The Sentinel is the bike I need right now - I want to progress on the steeper stuff and really want to do Kingdom Enduro next year - and I believe it will give me the confidence I need to get there.

In a perfect word I would want one of each though - the Sentinel to monster truck, the Following as an every day bike.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Only the rider holds you back not the bike. Well yes, I bet a WC dh rider could beat anyone here down a DH course on his XC bike, but would be left in the dust by his friends on their DH bikes. 

In any event, the manufacturers and pro riders dont agree with you. Marathon bikes have gradually been getting longer, lower and slacker and now even come with dropper posts. They're basically mini enduro bikes. #Enduro is taking over and theres nothing you can do to stop it ... :-)

Soon everyone will be on 120mm trail bikes with dropper posts and the Q's on the tech bits on the Epic will be shorter and those Epic smiles even broader during the ride, not just at the finish line ..

^^this. 

Also, a rider on a slacker, longer bike that isn't an XCO / XCM weapon will be far more confident in the bike's abilities, and be afforded a far easier skills & confidence growth curve than the same guy on a steep, conservative 100mm XCO / XCM weapon. Purely down to the geometry and travel safety net. They feel more confident, comfortable and at ease with riding things more technical and progressing with their skills. 

IMO XC race machines should only be sold to those who are gravel grinding or interested in competing at the pointy end of the field in an XCM / XCO race. Everyone else should at least be on a trance 29 / tranny smuggler etc. Not necessarily oodles of travel, but good geometry that inspires confidence.