Garmin Launch Edge 530 and Edge 830

shaper

Longest ride I've done since getting the 830 was 5:38 and battery remaining was 71%.  I don't trust the % reading though, would like to run it to zero to get an idea of how long it would last.

The sensors I run are speed, HR, Assioma pedals (power+cadence), UT800 and RTL510.  I wonder how much of a drain all those sensors are on battery life.

I haven't isolated them yet like I did on my 130, but I suspect not much. It seems to be a linked phone can help eat up the battery on the unit though. Did on my 130

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Longest ride I've done since getting the 830 was 5:38 and battery remaining was 71%.  I don't trust the % reading though, would like to run it to zero to get an idea of how long it would last.

The sensors I run are speed, HR, Assioma pedals (power+cadence), UT800 and RTL510.  I wonder how much of a drain all those sensors are on battery life.

Wow that is fantastic

On my 520 and Edge explorer the RTL510 adds to battery usage by 2 to 3 % per hour.

I think thats normal with a 130.

I've HR, Cadence and connected to the phone, dont think I can get more than 6 hours on mine.

As I stated above, the phone seems to be the biggest problem. big difference between 6 hours and the advertised 15. Even RC rainmaker comment on only getting 11 hrs (I think) and the reply from Garmin is that 15hrs is based on nothing connected and generally ideal conditions. Fortunately the 530 is not the same (not to say I'll gt 20hrs, but not as extreme as only 40% of advertised battery life)

As I stated above, the phone seems to be the biggest problem. big difference between 6 hours and the advertised 15. Even RC rainmaker comment on only getting 11 hrs (I think) and the reply from Garmin is that 15hrs is based on nothing connected and generally ideal conditions. Fortunately the 530 is not the same (not to say I'll gt 20hrs, but not as extreme as only 40% of advertised battery life)

Well fortunately for me I'll not need to go over 6 hours anytime soon. My phone battery will probably die before the 130.

Maybe in a few years I'll upgrade the 130, but for now it does everything I want and is small enough not to attract unwanted attention

I also knew full well when buying it that the 15 hours was never going to be achieved in the real world, so I'm not to upset about it.

As I stated above, the phone seems to be the biggest problem.

Jip.......have to add.......if the bloutoof is on with the phone then the battery is not so much efficient.

I don't have mine on.........cycling time should not be interrupted by calls or messages.   :thumbup:

What's the main difference between the 530 and 830?

Will the old speed and cadence sensors work on the new models?

Touch screen on the 830.

Otherwise not much.

Jip.......have to add.......if the bloutoof is on with the phone then the battery is not so much efficient.

I don't have mine on.........cycling time should not be interrupted by calls or messages.   :thumbup:

I agree.

Which makes having it on a good thing, you can see who is calling or who the message is from, so dont have to keep worrying that you missed an important call or emergency. the rest you can then safely ignore until after the ride.

I used to ride with an earphone in the left ear, I took a call from a prospective employer whilst out on the bike once.

I agree.

Which makes having it on a good thing, you can see who is calling or who the message is from, so dont have to keep worrying that you missed an important call or emergency. the rest you can then safely ignore until after the ride.

I used to ride with an earphone in the left ear, I took a call from a prospective employer whilst out on the bike once.

Do you have the phone on the bike or pocket. 

Who have the best prices on garmin devices at the moment?

I have been looking around this week at prices,

Sports warehouse had them for R5200 but finding one with stock is another story.

Got one from Solomons in PTA East for R5400

Edited by Markellis

Do you have the phone on the bike or pocket.

in the pocket. Which means you feel it vibrate and if you’re going slow enough you can hear it. Then it always sits on your mind, who is trying to get hold of you, is it important.

And you land up wanting to pull the phone out to check.

At least with the Garmin the name pops up on the screen, if it’s important you can make the decision to pull over and stop to take the call, or just ignore it completely.

What's the main difference between the 530 and 830?

Will the old speed and cadence sensors work on the new models?

830 has proper navigation since the touch screen makes this practical

Old Ant+ sensors work just fine - the only difference is that the new sensors are bluetooth as well as Ant+ and the 830 and 530 support both as well (I believe all the current Edge x30 Garmins do)

in the pocket. Which means you feel it vibrate and if you’re going slow enough you can hear it. Then it always sits on your mind, who is trying to get hold of you, is it important.

And you land up wanting to pull the phone out to check.

At least with the Garmin the name pops up on the screen, if it’s important you can make the decision to pull over and stop to take the call, or just ignore it completely.

Ja - I turned this off on my 520 a few years ago. Didn’t realise how much it had irritated me until the 530 started popping up messages on Tuesday night. Turned it off as soon as I finished. Each to their own, but I prefer to check my phone maybe once on a long ride rather than messages every five seconds.

Hi. I am sitting in this boat now with 820 only giving me 3,5hrs from a full battery. What was your quoted price if i may ask. You can pm me if you want.

I have been told R2500????

Update -Navworld resets software - no difference to battery life. I do a hard reset as advised by them and reset settings as i require - battery life from fully charged up to just over 11hrs......????

Must say I'm not overly impressed with the built quality of the 530. Feels very cheaply made compared to the Wahoo I have. Hopefully the additional functionality is worth it.

• 3 weeks later...