Garmin Launch Edge 530 and Edge 830

shaper

I got a garmin 500, its getting long in the tooth with uploading to strava ens. I looked at getting a 520 , but budget doesnt allow it and cldnt justify the money and what I want to do with it...map plotting and navigation not my thing so dont need it really.

I looked at Sigma Rox 12, very smart device.

Then I got me the Giant Neostrack buillt on a Bryton base...very pleased with this device, bang for buck, had a IT techy that also cycles, have a closer look and loves gadgets, it and was very amazed at what you can do and what you pay...R2200.00 for unit and R650 for belt. 

Its wifi compatable, Ant+ and blue tooth. and 30 hrs plus running time.

Big plus is that the digits are bigger so those that need reading glasses you def dont need that to watch this clock.

With regards to Garmin launch 530 they say 3weeks still to go.

520 plus without bundle incl topoafrica map R4999.00

520 plus with HR strap incl TopoAfrica map R6250.00

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phoned Garmin a week ago and they are aiming mid to end of August they have said.

Sent an email to Garmin support asking the same question early this morning - will post the updated reply

Garmin 530 topo africa map no HR Belt RRP R5799.00

Garmin 530 Map and belt (performance bundle) RRP R7499.00

Garmin 830 No bundle RRP R7499.00

Garmin 830 perf. bundle RRP R8 999.00

Insane in the membrane!!!

Where did you get the pricing? - certainly steep

R1700 difference on 530 between unit only and performance bundle

R1500 difference on 830 between unit only and performance bundle

Performance bundle is HR strap, speed and cadence sensors - Same in both cases?

That's crazy pricing.

Don't hold your breath, took my 820 in this morning .... Getting an 820 replacement

Took it in last Thu to Navworld who have to forward it to Garmin so hopefully hear something end of week. 

Took it in last Thu to Navworld who have to forward it to Garmin so hopefully hear something end of week.

Took mine straight to Garmin, replacement being delivered tomorrow [emoji12] Edited by NotSoBigBen

Those are big numbers, but not crazy compared to current/outgoing models.

But then again, we shop around for good deals so that we don't pay full RRP, don't we ?

EasyGIS for example...

post-615-0-28427600-1564415381_thumb.png

I would dearly love a reliable Garmin like my Edge 705 that just seems to work like a Hilux. Sadly, 4 Edge 1000's and 2 Edge 1030's later I'm still  waiting for a reliable Garmin

My wife an I have had between the 2 of us around 10 Garmin devices, only one have we ever had an issue with an it was swopped out by navworld no questions asked being a 735 tri watch after 2 months. The rest have been bullet proof.

What was wrong with the above 6 devices?

Took mine straight to Garmin, replacement being delivered tomorrow [emoji12]

Got a quote from garmin to repairing mine, I have another 800 so need to decide if its worth it as I was not that impressed with the 820. 

Got a quote from garmin to repairing mine, I have another 800 so need to decide if its worth it as I was not that impressed with the 820.

I'm a tech guy and love the 'connected' features of the 820

Spoke with a product manager at Garmin. He says the devices are fully cleared, and they're awaiting stock. "Launching in August" according to him, without details. Also told me that one would have to buy the African maps if the device is purchased internationally, guess we just have to keep waiting, and potentially pay the third world premium 

I've had the 520+ unit for about 6 months now - bought when my old 520 was in for a long repair and they were out of replacement 520 units. Has been a great unit, good battery life etc.

This follows on from 2x 520s that myself and my wife own that have done good service. I don't like the higher spec units (too big, touch screens, etc.). For the 530/520 I have no complaints, price included, and when the units get old (>5 years) then reconditioning has been affordable - affordable being around R1500 for a replacement recon-ed unit.

Edited by 100Tours

Asked Garmin (through their FB page) about SA availability of the Edge 530. Received the following reply:

“A launch date has still not been announced yet, as the stock for the device has not been provided for the South African market as yet. We are expecting this to be done soon, so that all our dealers and retail channels start receiving pricing as well.

We do sincerely apologize for this and hope to do right by our clientele as soon as possible.”