Garmin Launch Edge 530 and Edge 830

shaper

Finally got a 530 last week. First ride last night. I am still deciding if I like the hill climbing analysis feature or not. Sometimes ignorance is bliss when you're suffering. Seems like a very leaker unit. Need to spend some more time getting it properly set up etc, but really like the always lit screen etc. Big thing for me was starting with the battery on 94%, riding in the dark for 2.5 hours and still having 80% battery at the end. With my 520 battery as it is currently, that ride would have pretty much flattened the battery. 

Chuffed 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I am sitting in this boat now with 820 only giving me 3,5hrs from a full battery. What was your quoted price if i may ask. You can pm me if you want.

I have been told R2500????

Been 2 weeks but finally received my 820, it was booked in for the units USB not working, received and accepted repair quote but seems they have either given me a new unit or a better refurbished one than last time as this one appear to have none of the other ones cr@p, also included was a new mini USB data cable as the one they gave me last time was faulty.

Not to hijack this, but to avoid creating a new topic...

What is the timing from launching a new Garmin product until its available in SA? I want to buy my sister a VivoActive as a bday gift. The 3 is now available but DC Rainmaker had his launch review on the 9th of Sep on the VA 4 (and Venu). I dont want her to wait to long so what do you guys think? Is it a 6 months delay, less, more...?

What is the timing from launching a new Garmin product until its available in SA? I want to buy my sister a VivoActive as a bday gift. The 3 is now available but DC Rainmaker had his launch review on the 9th of Sep on the VA 4 (and Venu). I dont want her to wait to long so what do you guys think? Is it a 6 months delay, less, more...?

About 5 months - see my post on previous page - having said that some other Garmin products launched after the Edge 530/830 were available in SA 2 months before the Edge 530/830

Should be a lot quicker than that.  The Fenix 6 was released at the end of August 2019 and was available locally on pre-order by end of September 2019 and in shops not long after.

It all depends on ICASA approval timescale

About 5 months - see my post on previous page - having said that some other Garmin products launched after the Edge 530/830 were available in SA 2 months before the Edge 530/830

Should be a lot quicker than that.  The Fenix 6 was released at the end of August 2019 and was available locally on pre-order by end of September 2019 and in shops not long after.

It all depends on ICASA approval timescale

Legends! thanks guys

Finally got a 530 last week. ...... Big thing for me was starting with the battery on 94%, riding in the dark for 2.5 hours and still having 80% battery at the end. With my 520 battery as it is currently, that ride would have pretty much flattened the battery. 

Chuffed 

Yep, big plus for me too. I have a Garmin 130 that manages about 5-6 hours and its toast (been like that since new - just need to send it back sometime). The 530, can run a full week of training sessions no problem incl supporting, HR strap, speed and power (which included cadence) as well as link to Garmin connect app on Cell all the time while on the bike

Yep, big plus for me too. I have a Garmin 130 that manages about 5-6 hours and its toast (been like that since new - just need to send it back sometime). The 530, can run a full week of training sessions no problem incl supporting, HR strap, speed and power (which included cadence) as well as link to Garmin connect app on Cell all the time while on the bike

Yeah, the battery life of the 530 is amazing. Did a long ride last week (6 hours ride time, 8 hours total time because we stopped for lunch) using the navigation and at the end the battery level was still around 65%.

Hi. I am sitting in this boat now with 820 only giving me 3,5hrs from a full battery. What was your quoted price if i may ask. You can pm me if you want.

I have been told R2500

R2500 is what I paid. 

I have been told R2500????

Getting around 20 hours on one charge on my 830 at the moment.  Back light on (20%) day and night and all sensors connected.  Like......ALL sensors...........heheheheh

Very impressed so far.

Getting around 20 hours on one charge on my 830 at the moment.  Back light on (20%) day and night and all sensors connected.  Like......ALL sensors...........heheheheh

Very impressed so far.

Hell!!! Thats impressive!!!!

I now have a 520 for sale if anyone is interested!!!!

What's the main difference between the 530 and 830?

Will the old speed and cadence sensors work on the new models?

Very impressed so far.

Longest ride I've done since getting the 830 was 5:38 and battery remaining was 71%.  I don't trust the % reading though, would like to run it to zero to get an idea of how long it would last.

The sensors I run are speed, HR, Assioma pedals (power+cadence), UT800 and RTL510.  I wonder how much of a drain all those sensors are on battery life.

What's the main difference between the 530 and 830?

Will the old speed and cadence sensors work on the new models?

830 is touch screen and can navigate to POI, that's about it.

Yes old sensors still work.

I think thats normal with a 130.

I've HR, Cadence and connected to the phone, dont think I can get more than 6 hours on mine.