[Event] EWC 3 Jonkershoek Enduro

Enduro Western Cape

Did what will probably be my last ride before Saturday last night, checking tire pressures and suspension settup. I'm going pretty firm/supporting in the suspension department. Did the second half of the ride in the dark, and the rear was not exactly feeling plush. I find one tunes in on stuff like suspension a bit more than usual in the dark. So maybe just mind games.

If one gets it wrong, it can be a long day of puzzling & pondering while climbing to the various trail heads, which is my worse. 

Also did my last ride yesterday afternoon. We have been spending so much time getting Plumber and Iron Monkey right that we have not been spending any time on Armageddon. So did that top to bottom last night - with the upper section included it is a LOOONG stage - definitely one that is gonna catch you out if the fitness is not up to par.

Also did the bottom jump section of Plumber - not included last year, but as I understand it will be in this year. Good fun, but going to be interesting in a race run, I'm sure we will see a few OTBs on the jumps on that section - that's where I would be sitting if I was the photographer  :ph34r:

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If one gets it wrong, it can be a long day of puzzling & pondering while climbing to the various trail heads, which is my worse. 

**Mr I don't really race about to hand out advice alert!!

I think the key is to not overthink things now.

A few clicks of High speed aren't going to turn you into Richie Rude on the downs and experimenting with a new Gel isn't going to make you Marco Pantani on the climbs.

The temptation is to try some hail Mary thing like I did trying to go back to spd's a few weeks ago.

Don't. Don't even try a different color lens in your riding glasses. Eat that same pre ride sarmie you've been eating for the last month. Drink that same k@k coffee from McDonalds. Chow the same sweeties you do for all your rides. Etc Etc...

Says the oke who's going to jam a new tire on the rear on Saturday.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Over 250 comments in this thread and now you call for calm. That ship has sailed  :lol: 

The excitement around this event is awesome. The Jonkers trails have been packed with people scoping out the trails. The practising, pre-event banter, and Strava flexing is almost as fun as the actual thing  ;)

Enjoy this one guys. I've been enjoying the enthusiasm and training tales on this thread. I'll be keeping my record of not making one enduro race this season intact. This weekend off on a semi arid dirt road commemorative ride for a fallen family member. 130km on my 26er HT. Should be fun ....

BOTTOM OF PLUMBER NOT INCLUDED (the jumps sections). The pre-race videos have been awesome but they are not 100% correct so on race day please follow signs and listen to marshalls and not your memory!

Also did my last ride yesterday afternoon. We have been spending so much time getting Plumber and Iron Monkey right that we have not been spending any time on Armageddon. So did that top to bottom last night - with the upper section included it is a LOOONG stage - definitely one that is gonna catch you out if the fitness is not up to par.

Also did the bottom jump section of Plumber - not included last year, but as I understand it will be in this year. Good fun, but going to be interesting in a race run, I'm sure we will see a few OTBs on the jumps on that section - that's where I would be sitting if I was the photographer  :ph34r:

A few clicks of High speed aren't going to turn you into Richie Rude on the downs and experimenting with a new Gel isn't going to make you Marco Pantani on the climbs.

The temptation is to try some hail Mary thing like I did trying to go back to spd's a few weeks ago.

Don't. Don't even try a different color lens in your riding glasses. Eat that same pre ride sarmie you've been eating for the last month. Drink that same k@k coffee from McDonalds. Chow the same sweeties you do for all your rides. Etc Etc...

Since when is trying new suspension settings a no-no. Isn't that what its all about?!

Don't worry, I've had my fair share of trials and tribulations from Marathon and road racing days. 

Apart from slightly firmer suspension, I haven't changed a thing. Not taking this, nor myself to serious, although I did what I could do beforehand to prepare. 

Of course, we will all have to post our stage times post race? Just to make sure we gave it everything we had :)

BOTTOM OF PLUMBER NOT INCLUDED (the jumps sections). The pre-race videos have been awesome but they are not 100% correct so on race day please follow signs and listen to marshalls and not your memory!

Thanks! Good to know that section is not in, I just recently got over my fear of the top 2 sections hahaha

Since when is trying new suspension settings a no-no. Isn't that what its all about?!

Don't worry, I've had my fair share of trials and tribulations from Marathon and road racing days. 

To be fair I did issue a caveat before my monologue.

I agree ... avoid McDonalds coffee, life is too short for K@K@ coffee

I'm REALLY having fomo on this one. Damn. But - given my entry to someone else, and I'll be there to heckle.

Ja. I have to admit, I would have bet good money on a DNF. But a DNS caught me totally offsides.

Ja. I have to admit, I would have bet good money on a DNF. But a DNS caught me totally offsides.

Next would be were I am at too ... a DNE

Waaaaaahahahahaha.