Best left field XC MTB

mr HED

Curious to know why? I have a Scott, but really like the Stage Max... 

They come with monarch XX's mostly which are very finiky at best 

The frame uses toothpick size bolts to mount the shock which often mess up the lower threaded insert in the frame , which then gets a spoeg and plak fix for which your frame has to go back to pyga 

the frame also puts more side loading on the shock than you would expect from a general xc bike 

and lastly for the price of their frames you can get other brands which are more established and offer better bikes i.e. santa and cannondale 

SB100 would be my dream pick Norco would be my Wallet friendly pick 

that's just my opinion and like and arseholes everybody has one , It's up to the OP 

However cool they are I would also stay away from the rocky cause their linkage runs on bushes rather than bearings and you have to be on it with maintenance 

I also have A soft spot for these bikes :https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bmc-fourstroke-01-one-review-2019.html

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything that's not the pyga

Trawled through the thread and no response.

FFS bud, cannot leave a comment like that hanging

Trawled through the thread and no response.

FFS bud, cannot leave a comment like that hanging

They come with monarch XX's mostly which are very finiky at best 

The frame uses toothpick size bolts to mount the shock which often mess up the lower threaded insert in the frame , which then gets a spoeg and plak fix for which your frame has to go back to pyga 

the frame also puts more side loading on the shock than you would expect from a general xc bike 

and lastly for the price of their frames you can get other brands which are more established and offer better bikes i.e. santa and cannondale 

SB100 would be my dream pick Norco would be my Wallet friendly pick 

that's just my opinion and like and arseholes everybody has one , It's up to the OP 

However cool they are I would also stay away from the rocky cause their linkage runs on bushes rather than bearings and you have to be on it with maintenance 

I also have A soft spot for these bikes :https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bmc-fourstroke-01-one-review-2019.html

....However cool they are I would also stay away from the rocky cause their linkage runs on bushes rather than bearings and you have to be on it with maintenance

Used to - they have bearings now, afaik.

Used to - they have bearings now, afaik.

oh , my bad then 

still do they have a new distributor here ? Hulabaloo dropped the brand mos 

First choice for me would be Santa Cruz, have owned a bunch of them all awesome bikes.

See a couple of people saying Rocky Mountain... NOOOOO stay away support for them is gone sold mine as soon as they left.

Other choices would be Pivot real nice, I like the look of Norco.

I used to like Yeti but the cable routing could have been made to look better.

If money was no option to build a bike now it would be a Santa Cruz. XC build Blur with 120mm Factory on front and some series 9 CSIXX with custom decals to suit the frame. ????????

The current Rocky Mountain range run on ballbearings .I had to replace bushings last year .The new element is a beauty.I would happily buy a new frame .New frames also accommodate two bottles

First choice for me would be Santa Cruz, have owned a bunch of them all awesome bikes.

See a couple of people saying Rocky Mountain... NOOOOO stay away support for them is gone sold mine as soon as they left.

Other choices would be Pivot real nice, I like the look of Norco.

I used to like Yeti but the cable routing could have been made to look better.

If money was no option to build a bike now it would be a Santa Cruz. XC build Blur with 120mm Factory on front and some series 9 CSIXX with custom decals to suit the frame.

As a Santa Cruz ,RockyMountain,Kona owner ,i would also go for a SC blur with 120mm fork .My 2012 Tallboy has had only two proper services in seven years .Bearings were replace once only .Everything about SC frames are quality ,but you do pay for that !

Trust me Santa Cruz may have a big "over priced" stigma around them but they're worth it

If you can find one, have a look at the Cube AMS 100/120 range. Last that I was told, is that the SA agent are no longer involved.

Don't. I had one. Just don't.

Don't. I had one. Just don't.

Why, what happened? Love my Cube, had no issues with it. Stiff and very responsive, would love to replace my current frame with the 2018/2019 frame

There is support in Durban, through Over The Bars Cycles. As far as I know the same crowd still own Lapierre in SA. I have two of their bikes and have had no issues (apart from a lengthy delay in getting a new hanger). 

I have had only good service and support from the guys at Over the Bars. They have sent me bearings, a hanger and a whole linkage bolt/mounting kit over night.

I have an XR929 with a 120mm Revelation on the front. It is amazing to ride. Tricked out with CK hubs, decent wide rims and a 120mm dropper, it is my 'go to' bike for most riding. I am seriously considering selling my big bike.

150/140mm 29er is just too big for 99% of the trails we have here.

As far as I know hullabaloo is still the agents. Parts and warranty is not an issue on the frames. Can buy parts hanger etc straight from bikes.com and it will be here faster than through a bike shop.

Archived