[Event] 2019 PPA One Tonner

Pedal Power Association

Well my legs surely got into the funride vibe because this new and improved One Tonner took me a smidgen over 6 hours. Have to agree with the rest - it is a nicer route than before and Bainskloof up is not nearly as hard as I though. A nice long gentle climb. Glad I did this.

I stopped at the Botmanskloof and Perdeberg water points and they were excellent. Remember folks, it is you that need those drinks - not your bicycle - kindly go park it somewhere before you hog around the table. 

Congrats to PPA for pulling this off and to all that finished.

post-38519-0-52615900-1570370235_thumb.jpg

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was one old ballie that kept diving down the inside of me on Bains, but besides that, Lekker down Bains!

might have to put the One Tonner on a list for next year...route seems challenging but good...

It was fun until you guys caught us... After that it was just suffering  :P

Thanks for the bus Savage, hopefully you guys pulled me to a decent Argus seeding  :thumbup:

Oh and I agree with Breezer, new route is awesome, Bainskloof is a challenge up & down (it appears nobody killed themselves as the hub predicted so its all good?) Weather was perfect, best that I can recall since at least 2013.

If this was pure Savage ABCD then I was with them till about half way up Bains when I decided screw this I'm not going to chase this hard.

I sat up and let the remnants of D-E catch me then the chase down Bains began. Shjoe that was a technical descent. Felt like a moto gp. Glad I got down there in one piece with a Savage and a lekker geseligge fellow.

some time later we had a nice group but not working hard enough so the Savage mixed team caught us. And so the group stayed. Turned out to be a Savage day

Definitely a Savage day. C Group was being paced perfectly by the excellence team until Savage came along at 60km mark and took over from there until the end. A massive group formed at this point with constant casualties suffering the consequences of trying to sit on the Savage train. I managed to sit all the way through the cramps until the end, well kinda, since Savage decided to stop at last waterpoint but then caught us right at the line again.

Lol mine has 11hr as race time, eventually figured out that it was actually the time of day I finished. Not sure how they got 11hrs and then still had an average speed of 14km/h worked out because those numbers dont add up.

Anyway I assume it will be fixed soon as many guys I know have sent queries. If not my seeding is going to end up with 3 letters and my entry for Cycle Tour will prob be declined LOL.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

So its the next day ...

time to reflect

I'm NOT convinced about the new route ... that bains decent is dodge AF and people took stupid risk to just get bike length ahead...  

Almost got hit twice by cars at road works part and the narrow shoulder area .. Our group had to come to almost standstill at one point to avoid getting hit.   

Race was otherwise uneventful , except for one guy falling in our group after hitting stone in the road (hit it as was he going for his water bottle and other hand came of the bars). He going be eina today...

First time my the fitness was better than the pace, but you can only go as fast as the pace of the group ..

There was not many doing work unfortunately, hats of the the guy/s trying to make everyone do some work , hopefully you learned you cannot make a wheelsucker do work, no matter what you try.. :) ^_^

Edited by Karman de Lange

decided last thursday that this would be a good thing to enter as haven't ridden my bike enough past 2/3 months (been running and overseas) and I could see how the muscle memory was..

Glad I didn't get windgat and went for the "wimp" 110km option (or the metric one tonner)!

Was in h-k, and had a really great 15-20 lead group that was nicely in my comfort zone...until about 85km in and i fell off the back of one of those bigger rollers and the downhill I thought I'd catch back on ended up being a flat road.

Watched the group 100-200m ahead for a good 3km, but just could not make it back!

got a bit lonely in the final closing section, and was caught by the rest of the group in the final km.

Good honest day out on the bike, despite not having road closures felt quite comfortable in the yellow line (once dodging cateyes). Not sure if the surface had a clean before hand, but not nearly as much glass as I'd expected. conditions were just right, not that windy, not too chilly at start and not too warm at finish.

I'd do this again, (just with more miles in the legs).

Definitely a Savage day. C Group was being paced perfectly by the excellence team until Savage came along at 60km mark and took over from there until the end. A massive group formed at this point with constant casualties suffering the consequences of trying to sit on the Savage train. I managed to sit all the way through the cramps until the end, well kinda, since Savage decided to stop at last waterpoint but then caught us right at the line again.

We did leave a Savage in the group ahead just to make sure we took the group win, or he didn't hear Brendon :P

There was a group ahead of the Big C group that we caught on the way to Hermon as well. From what I saw everybody rode very well, besides one or two folk that got to 3rd or 4th wheel in the paceline then pulled the rip cord to get out of their as they saw the front looming.

Wow, the numbers are impressive! 860 odd long route, 350 medium and 150 short route! Wow!

2018 - 639

2017 - Tricky as the year of team entries, around 700

2016 - 1019 (Only 170 option)

2015 - 1243 (Only 170 option)

2014 - 1300

2013 - 1116

2012 - 753