947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

I see the overall women best time is a lady in A, who actually has two results. Upon investigation I found that the faster time is that of her husband, same with the mtb event last weekend. Do I email racetec to fix this?

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So after last years pathetic attempt at breaking a sub 3 only to be plagued with cramps i finished with a 3H19, i was looking forward to some revenge - put in some hard training however after the Macsteel race it really took a toll on me mentally, it was such a hard race, after that race i did not want to see my indoor trainer, all i wanted to do was have coffee rides with my mates so the last 3 weeks my level dropped drastically.

I started this race in A and i knew Steyn CIty was going to be brutal, I didnt get a great position in our pen and found myself rather far behind but once we got out of Steyn City I put in a massive effort to join the leading bunch in A. Had a decent recovery and got the HR out of the red, going past Cosmo City I had my first incident where the guy next to me went into the back of another guy and then collided into me, i managed to hold on and half jump the pavement, close call. Then coming into Douglasdale residential area, the sharp right hander, i came into it holding my line and unfortunately some guy came in hot and hit my right thigh and up I went off the road into a driveway lol - luckily I managed to save it however i lost touch once again with the leading A group.

I never recovered from that second incident and found myself between the lead group A and the 2nd group A, i solo'd all the way until we got onto the M1 and then about 5km into the M1 the 2nd group of A joined and boy I was relieved however at exactly 59.9km I had my first huge cramp on my right leg and i shot to the right and had to stop and stretch it out - the nightmare of last year was back and i was devastated. I managed to recover and get to kyalami, on the exit of kyalami at the top of the first climb BOOOOOM same leg in a full cramp [DAMMMMIT]

I managed it from there to the end to finish with a 2H46. I was a bit frustrated and equally happy cause it was a massive improvement from last year, this being my 2nd 947 race. Its a wonderful race.

Next stop for me, Berg and Dale.

Cheers

danny

But coffee rides with your mates are lekker.

One day when I'm strong enough to keep up with you I'll join you for a coffee ride.

Did you drink enough ? (I don't mean tequila the night before)

One day when I'm strong enough to keep up with you I'll join you for a coffee ride.

Hahahahaha lol

Ok so the tequila the night before might of contributed [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

You passed me like I was looking for parking. Downhills and flats were fine, but the uphills - man, I miss the days where I could climb.

Cycling up the stretch as you exit Kyalami  a father and young daughter riding on an old 26" MTB tandem passed us. While the daughter was small and could not have weighed much the father was quite big and still they powered past all the riders. 

Cycling up the stretch as you exit Kyalami a father and young daughter riding on an old 26" MTB tandem passed us. While the daughter was small and could not have weighed much the father was quite big and still they powered past all the riders.

I think they started in L, girls name was Helen. That’s if it’s the same 2 I saw.

Very impressive.

Cycling up the stretch as you exit Kyalami  a father and young daughter riding on an old 26" MTB tandem passed us. While the daughter was small and could not have weighed much the father was quite big and still they powered past all the riders. 

Good to hear. It's nice to see family spending quality time together.

How was the logistics of the bus and bike transport back to the start?

Not too bad for us that finished in the first bunches. It may have been a bit more hectic for the later groups. My son and I found the trucks into which we had to load the bicycles fairly easy, and just a couple of meters further up a line of about 6-7 busses were waiting for the cyclists. The guys doing the bike transport were NightwinG couriers that also does bike transport from the main centres down to the "Argus".

We waited for about 10-15 minutes in the bus for it to fill up and we left back to Melrose Arch. Just after we debussed at MA, the truck with the bicycles arrived. When you handed your bike in at first, you were given a wrist band with a number on it, and another one was tied onto the bike. When you went to collect your bike, they matched the number on your wrist band to that of the bike before handing it back to you.

Edited by Jaco Steyn

That’s brilliant, well done; what device are you using?

Thankfully I had an incident-free race and achieved a PB of 3 hours 40 minutes. Managed to latch onto a great bunch along the M1.

Here’s my race on video:

Does anyone know why your true ride time is not used? I.e. the time from when you rode over the mat at the end of the neutral section to the finish mat?

Does anyone know why your true ride time is not used? I.e. the time from when you rode over the mat at the end of the neutral section to the finish mat?

In that case it would be confusing for the pros as it would mean the first person crossing the finish line may not necessarily be the overall winner.

Everyone in the batch starts together, and your time stops when you cross the line, like a real race is done.

If it was based on mat2mat, then someone could sit at the very back, and not necessarily finish first but have a better time than someone a few bike lengths ahead of them.

Racetec do know what group you actually started in. That's why they have mats at the start.

at one tonner large amount was not detected over start mats (interferance) and there times was all the time of day they finished.. Took racetec about 2 weeks to sort out the issues

Some anomilies on page 1 of the results page:

Some people from Batch Y, D and I came in under 2H25, after having never ridden a sub-3... placing them within the Top 100 finishers out of 15 000 people....

Any theories on where they won the time...?

Egg whites and chicken breasts.