FRIDAY THREAD: Discovery or Momentum Medical Aid

Chingy182

So this is not exactly cycling related, but I thought the Hub is about just a good a place as any to get some meaningful dialogue going  :ph34r:

So the story goes like this:

I have been on Momentum Medical Aid and Private Club on the Rewards program.

I am on the Custom plan paying about R1550 per month.

Fiance is on Discovery Medical Aid and Gold/Platinum status.

She is on the Essential plan (Smart Series), paying about R2100 per month

We have been living together and we are looking at one of us joining the other's as a dependent.

The problem is that we are both stubborn and I don't want to move from Momentum and she does not want to move from Discovery either.

If she were to join my medical aid as a dependent, it would be cheaper.

But cheaper isn't always better.

So it comes down to which Medical Aid has better benefits (which TBH they all cover about the same).

Which one then boasts the better reward program for the client?

Personal opinions and slander of medical aids are highly welcomed  :whistling:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was at momentum...moved to discovery (also mostly because the wifes workplace covers it)

and if you use discovery benefits the right way...it is better by far. But it suited our lifestyle since we were already shopping at most of the places and used most of the other things/places that come with the benefits. we justpay way less for them now and get cash back too. So i'd say...be honest and look at where you spend money ito benefits and see where you'd benefit the most.

edit: ito medical cover...i think it is much of a muchness. Similar packages cover similar things barring a few minor details. I talk under correction - as in it might have changed - but before my mother emigrated a few years back She was basically forced to go to discovery because momentum was not interested in covering her chronic Trombose medication anymore. She gets those for free now in her new country....

Again...look at what your needs are and see who offers you the best fit for those needs

Edited by morneS555

like choosing

fnb or standard

vodacom or mtn

chiefs or pirates

all sharks doing basically the same thing, but you might find a little aspect of a particular one that appeals to you personally - so you need to do the homework if you want the best personal option

Edited by Shebeen

was at momentum...moved to discovery (also mostly because the wifes workplace covers it)

and if you use discovery benefits the right way...it is better by far. But it suited our lifestyle since we were already shopping at most of the places and used most of the other things/places that come with the benefits. we justpay way less for them now and get cash back too. So i'd say...be honest and look at where you spend money ito benefits and see where you'd benefit the most.

I'll be honest that I need to do a bit more research into Discovery's reward program so I can get a better understanding of it.

Currently I get R500 cash backs from the medical aid paid into my health savings account from being compliant on the active days per month.

Shopping at Dischem and P&P I get 12% cash back.

25% off on Takealot vouchers, etc.

These are just the ones I use more regularly

Momentum .... Goalposts get moved less than Discovery/Vitality .

I get 680 back into my Healthsaver account and 40% discount on Myriad premiums .

I am Platinum and will get to Private for next year .

So this is not exactly cycling related, but I thought the Hub is about just a good a place as any to get some meaningful dialogue going  :ph34r:

So the story goes like this:

I have been on Momentum Medical Aid and Private Club on the Rewards program.

I am on the Custom plan paying about R1550 per month.

Fiance is on Discovery Medical Aid and Gold/Platinum status.

She is on the Essential plan (Smart Series), paying about R2100 per month

We have been living together and we are looking at one of us joining the other's as a dependent.

The problem is that we are both stubborn and I don't want to move from Momentum and she does not want to move from Discovery either.

If she were to join my medical aid as a dependent, it would be cheaper.

But cheaper isn't always better.

So it comes down to which Medical Aid has better benefits (which TBH they all cover about the same).

Which one then boasts the better reward program for the client?

Personal opinions and slander of medical aids are highly welcomed  :whistling:

Preceding your post with "friday thread" and then asking for "meaningful dialogue" and "slander of medical aid" is extremely contradictory. You can either have a friday thread or a meaningful dialogue, not both!

If you use vitality to it's max, its worthwhile, if not, vitality are difficult people to deal with and super slow in responding. my 2c

Edited by Dirkitech

Check also the equipment cash backs/discounts. Mate got a new garmin bike computer which is apparently a good deal on Momentum.

So check out what you get from both, which one fits better to your lifestyle. I made the move from Multiply to Vitality as the benefits I use are better for me on this side, specifically the gym and device boosters. So it might need a bit of math and some changes in shopping habits to choose one or the other. But by properly using either one it will be worth it.

I'll be honest that I need to do a bit more research into Discovery's reward program so I can get a better understanding of it.

Currently I get R500 cash backs from the medical aid paid into my health savings account from being compliant on the active days per month.

Shopping at Dischem and P&P I get 12% cash back.

25% off on Takealot vouchers, etc.

These are just the ones I use more regularly

yea..we get 25% back at woolworths and 30% discount on flights at this stage...which is massive. Then there are benefits for gear we use (apple, garmin etc), cash back at sport-mans warehouse and more etc...all things and places we already were using before...we just pay less now. the wife also had/has a VA gym subscription and obviously you 'basically' get that for free too when joining vitality. 

Edited by morneS555

We use Bonitas Hospital Plan, and it covers just about everything I have thrown at it, including a few visits to ER, a couple ops, the birth of my daughter via c-section and all the usual GP, dentists, pead's etc.

Our excess contributions for all the above is not more than R10k over the last 10 years.

For the 3 of us we pay around 5k per month.

I have not been told I can't go to a specific hospital yet. 

My boet on the other hand is with Discovery, and when his laaitie hurt himself and needed stitches, he went to Cape Gate Medi Clinic as it's closest to where he live (around 5km). They turned him away, and told him to go to Panorama instead (about 20km away), or else he could pay the R7500.00 upfront to be helped asap. He paid.

I have had a few crashes while out riding, and have frequented Blaauwberg NetCare, Panorama Medi Clinic, Cape Gate Medi Clinic, [edit - Durbanville Medi Clinic] and some day hospital by Century City. I was accepted at all of them, and paid not one cent extra.

Me personally? I would not touch Discovery.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

becasue a "dependant" costs less than a main member

I'm a "dependant" on my wife's medical aid LOL

And as he said, cheaper is not always better..... there are benefits to having different medical aids... i often use a friends momentum benefits if they are not using them

Disco, I pretty much max out the benefits!