Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be making a comeback after missing last year with a broken shoulder. Had a really messy 6 months since then. Decided to make it a goal to get the strength and fitness back up to that level by March. Always good to have something to aim for. 

I have a similar goal, as the result of a similar situation. Missed last year's Cycle Tour after coming off my MTB in the stupidest little "nothing" fall - that ended with a fractured glenoid socket and surgery + 2 screws too repair. 6 months off the bike and am slowly getting back into, there's a lot I'm aiming for before the Cycle Tour but want to be completely back in the groove by then.

So you also know every man hole cover, bump, cateye around the cape peninsula.

Correct. Except for the bit before Chappies. There I scan the supporters, maybe the Random Flasher of ten years or so ago will make a re-appearance  :clap:  :clap:

Correct. Except for the bit before Chappies. There I scan the supporters, maybe the Random Flasher of ten years or so ago will make a re-appearance  :clap:  :clap:

I remember seeing a rather good looking lady in nothing but a G-string(about 10/12 years ago) at the left turn after the fast section from Smits turning towards Scarborough. Maybe it was the same lady? How there was no crash in my group I don't know.

I recall a good few great sightings over the years. (Other than the type above) 

The nicest "oooh, how cute" spectator was a VERY pregnant woman on Edinburgh Drive with ":GO DADDY GO" written in pink lipstic on her bare balloon of a belly. I hope his daughter became a cyclist and did the Tour on a tandem with him.

Another funny one was one year when I rode a slow fun one in the later groups with my kids.

On the crest of Smitswinkels we stopped to have our lunch sandwiches and while having our picnic next to the road, a very tired and red in the face guy came huffing and puffing up the road. He stopped near us, got off his bike a bit unsteadily, picked the bike up and hurled it about 5 metres into the fynbos. He then flopped down, took a packet of cigarettes from his pocket, and lit one with great ritual and obvious delight!  I supposed he decided that all the healthy living and exercise was more likely to kill him there and then than a cigarette! I have no idea if he rode the rest or ended his cycling career there and then!

Edited by DJR

Another funny one was one year when I rode a slow fun one in the later groups with my kids.

On the crest of Smitswinkels we stopped to have our lunch sandwiches and while having our picnic next to the road, a very tired and red in the face guy came huffing and puffing up the road. He stopped near us, got off his bike a bit unsteadily, picked the bike up and hurled it about 5 metres into the fynbos. He then flopped down, took a packet of cigarettes from his pocket, and lit one with great ritual and obvious delight!  I supposed he decided that all the healthy living and exercise was more likely to kill him there and then than a cigarette! I have no idea if he rode the rest or ended his cycling career there and then!

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

My first Cycle Tour in 96 I saw a lady flash her noombies at me just before Noordehoek Cafe.... She's the  reason I ride every year  :clap:

She still does her cycletour flash!

I recall one year she was jiggling them as i came past and I high 5'd them.

Strangest experience I had during a CT was around 98 or 99, going up Smits a baboon ran through our group and robbed a cyclist of his banana. The poor oke wet himself. It took me about 5km before I could let the laughter out. 

I was wondering about whether I'd be spectating the CTCT2020. then Yesterday I received my Club21 membership and the excitement soema got the better of me. Yirre that's a fugly club top but fugly to be proud of.

Yeah they need to re do that top. The rest of the clothing is not bad. They recently re did the golf shirt(this year IICR). I have most of what they have.

We were riding up Chappies one year and passed a woman cyclist, all dressed up in riding gear and helmet, walking back towards Noordhoek, but without a bicycle. I thought it a bit strange and wondered what happened to her bike. Around the next corner the mystery was solved when we came across a single guy on the front of a tandem slaving up the hill. Everyone chirped him: "She fell off, you better turn around and go fetch her". :D  I have never before or after seen such an grumpy and gatvol face on a cyclist. Obviously they had a disagreement that escalated until the camels back broke there and she decided to get off and he decided to carry on! I wondered at the atmosphere at home that night........and whether the relationship survived! Perhaps he even posted in the Divorce Advice thread? :whistling:

Edited by DJR