Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

Ok, back to the topic :)

1. Use a torque wrench 

2. Don't drip lube into cable casings. It pulls dirt in and gums them up. 

3. Don't try to adjust an old-school cantilever brake unless you absolutely have to - you need at least three hands for this and a free afternoon, possibly even a whole weekend. 

4. It is not physically possible to set an Ultegra 11sp front derailleur without it rubbing in at least three gears. 

5. The best way to get sealant in a tyre is with a little 60ml Stans bottle through the valve. 

6. Leave suspension services and wheel building to the experts :)

I'll add more if I think of them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, back to the topic :)

1. Use a torque wrench 

2. Don't drip lube into cable casings. It pulls dirt in and gums them up. 

3. Don't try to adjust an old-school cantilever brake unless you absolutely have to - you need at least three hands for this and a free afternoon, possibly even a whole weekend. 

4. It is not physically possible to set an Ultegra 11sp front derailleur without it rubbing in at least three gears. 

5. The best way to get sealant in a tyre is with a little 60ml Stans bottle through the valve. 

6. Leave suspension services and wheel building to the experts :)

I'll add more if I think of them.

3. You just need practice and the force to be with you

5. I use a large (as in very large) syringe to fill up via the valve

6.1 Suspension is not rocket science

6.2 A really good wheel build is rocket science

3. You just need practice and the force to be with you

5. I use a large (as in very large) syringe to fill up via the valve

6.1 Suspension is not rocket science

6.2 A really good wheel build is rocket science

7: good/neat cable routing is voodoo. You will do it once...then realise you could have done it better...and then mess up the lengths of the hoses/housings and redo it, just to realise that you could have done it better....

Edited by morneS555

6.3: good/neat cable routing is voodoo. You will do it once...then realise you could have done it better...and then mess up the lengths of the hoses/housings and redo it, just to realise that you could have done it better....

that is the real reason they invented the single speed!

The only veganesque comment That belongs on this thread, could be about somebody who uses vegetable oil to lube their chain.

olive oil is a surprisingly good lube...on bicycles too :ph34r:

jokes aside, i've applied a drop of olive oil to external rusty gate locks and they have been flawless for nearly 2 years.

7: good/neat cable routing is voodoo. You will do it once...then realise you could have done it better...and then mess up the lengths of the hoses/housings and redo it, just to realise that you could have done it better....

Oh man, so glad to hear I'm not alone!

Mate I am sorry but you purposefully posted your comments on this thread to get this reaction. No defending it. WHY ELSE would you post this in a thread about being your own home mechanic when there are loads of threads dedicated to dicussing dietary choices/lifestyles.

PLEASE GET OFF MY THREAD.

Sincerely, THE OP!

Stop being a troll, be cool guy, nobody enjoys a troll.

You're ******* childish, sorry for my language but to put everything in caps is just rediculous. I simply just told you guys about something and here you say I wanted to get a reaction out of you guys. That's fine, be like that,it's not like you made bikehub. Sorry you got offended about my life choice. I don't see the issue talking about something else on a different thread.........I'm going to respect you and and I will go find another thread to go share my story with if that makes you happy. ????

You're ******* childish, sorry for my language but to put everything in caps is just rediculous. I simply just told you guys about something and here you say I wanted to get a reaction out of you guys. That's fine, be like that,it's not like you made bikehub. Sorry you got offended about my life choice. I don't see the issue talking about something else on a different thread.........I'm going to respect you and and I will go find another thread to go share my story with if that makes you happy.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/179556-the-veganism-thread/page-1

B.T.W. you say you've been vegan for 2 weeks ..... mate you havent even crapped out all the non vegan stuff in your body yet, how can your proclaim anything.

I've been avoiding meat completely for 2 months before and only drank milk, that didn't made me a vegan, it's just recently for 2 weeks I started to go completely vegan.

You're ******* childish, sorry for my language but to put everything in caps is just rediculous. I simply just told you guys about something and here you say I wanted to get a reaction out of you guys. That's fine, be like that,it's not like you made bikehub. Sorry you got offended about my life choice. I don't see the issue talking about something else on a different thread.........I'm going to respect you and and I will go find another thread to go share my story with if that makes you happy.

tenor.gif

Edited by Patchelicious

go check out a guy on Instagram called jamessmithpt, he does a review of this movie that is pretty damn good!

Here is a link

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B3I7_SugTZb/?igshid=1dvkqguls0bn4

I'm sure there are a few successful vegan athletes in all sports, but 95% of Olympic medalists aren't vegan! And I'm pretty sure their genetics are what got them to the Olympics more than their diet!

Good on vegans for not eating animals, I'm just not going to join you, no matter how many biased stories get posted or movies made by those supporting the vegan movement.

The guy didn't even mention some of the most important aspects. He didn't even mention how foggy your bloods plasma was when eating meat compared to not eating meat. He did talk about the Penis thing but the study cleary showed that your boners are more erected at night time than meat-eaters boners...

you have already been pointed to the appropriate thread on the previous page. entertaining as this will surely prove to be, can we NOT discuss your vegan boner here please. thanks