"WHY it happened" .... now that will keep me awake .... :eek:

Tel skape of jaag muskiete... maak mens vinnig moeg😴

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It Actually Doesn't Happen A Lot.

But When It Does It usually leaves U Stranded.

I like using the Chain Ring Bolts that Came with the Bikes on the 2X10 Shimano Systems.

The After Market ones Seem to be weak and Flimsy.

On 2/23/2023 at 5:38 PM, ChrisF said:

Hi Droo

I popped in at Mark.  The bolts were aluminium.

He only has aluminium bolts on the shelf.  

Any idea where I can buy a set (or two) of steel ring bolts ?

Ek het stainless steel bolts vir jou en staal. 

My experience says that most bike shops will not do as good a job as someone who does their own work and takes the time to understand a bicycle properly. Ever since I had a bike shop swap out a fork that nearly got me crashed due to low rake angle, I never went back to a bike shop for service ever again. I learnt to do all my work myself and have never had a problem with a bike since. Multiple Cervelo and Look builds, wheel builds, hydraulic services, etc. For me I mostly see friends’ bikes coming back with problems from various shops rather than being 100% right first time!

Edited by Migual

4 hours ago, Migual said:

My experience says that most bike shops will not do as good a job as someone who does their own work and takes the time to understand a bicycle properly. Ever since I had a bike shop swap out a fork that nearly got me crashed due to low rake angle, I never went back to a bike shop for service ever again. I learnt to do all my work myself and have never had a problem with a bike since. Multiple Cervelo and Look builds, wheel builds, hydraulic services, etc. For me I mostly see friends’ bikes coming back with problems from various shops rather than being 100% right first time!

Some shops are definitely better than others. I can do most of the basics, but will take my bike in for things like wheel truing and also for jobs I don't have the tools for, e.g. pressfit bb and wheel bearings.

On 2/26/2023 at 3:39 PM, MrJacques said:

Some shops are definitely better than others. I can do most of the basics, but will take my bike in for things like wheel truing and also for jobs I don't have the tools for, e.g. pressfit bb and wheel bearings.

Yeah if you can buy the tools they are worth every penny. You won’t believe how many bike shops don’t even use torque wrenches when working. Absolute amateurs!!!! They think they can “feel” what good enough. And when they crack your R80,000 carbon frame who pays for that; the customer.

On 2/22/2023 at 8:31 PM, ChrisF said:

Just around the corner (thankfully) ... after a 40km ride.

20230222_180824.jpg.34e49b7a4bd6ec041ffcf3145fba7132.jpg

Two ring bolts gone .... during the holiday I did a "major service" of the bike, including checking all bolts .....

What have I learnt ?

Uhmmm .... will ask Mark what I did to end with this .....

Damage ...

. Chain got seriously mangled as it got trapped between the ring and frame .... will replace it.

. Ring looks bent ....

. My ego  ...

O-well .... rather now than during the Argus.

Lessons learnt ....

Bolts were too loose .... (despite using a torque wrench)

Pulling away, twice, with the ring loose ended up twisting the spider arms 😵💫🤦‍♂️

Managed to get a new spider from the Darrvin distributors. Dankie tog ... 😁

New chain and a 40 tooth ring fitted (properly tightened by the LBS) 👍

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Lessons learnt ....

Bolts were too loose .... (despite using a torque wrench)

Pulling away, twice, with the ring loose ended up twisting the spider arms 😵💫🤦‍♂️

Managed to get a new spider from the Darrvin distributors. Dankie tog ... 😁

New chain and a 40 tooth ring fitted (properly tightened by the LBS) 👍

After Repair Picture Please

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

Is the following KMC link compatible with SRAM GX Eagle 12 speed? I've tried to search and can't seem to find an answer. It does however look different comparing to the SRAM link on my chain. 

It looks like a road link to me. If it is, I'm assuming it won't work. Any advice welcome, please.

https://www.takealot.com/kmc-chain-link-12-speed-gold-2-card/PLID73147265

It should work considering the chain pin width and link length has to be the same seeing they are both specc'd as 12 speed parts and likewise there's no material difference I am aware of between chains branded road or mtb. I've used KMC links on many different chain brands incl Shitmano directional chains. The packaging pic on that Takealot listing does also state "Compatibility : KMC & SRAM 12 speed chains" so I think you'll be good but maybe someone else can chime in to confirm that 100%.

28 minutes ago, Skylark said:

It should work considering the chain pin width and link length has to be the same seeing they are both specc'd as 12 speed parts and likewise there's no material difference I am aware of between chains branded road or mtb. I've used KMC links on many different chain brands incl Shitmano directional chains. The packaging pic on that Takealot listing does also state "Compatibility : KMC & SRAM 12 speed chains" so I think you'll be good but maybe someone else can chime in to confirm that 100%.

Thanks. Fitted it and it seems to fit okay, but I don't want to be silly and ruin a brand new chain and or cassette, so being extra careful.  

On 2/28/2023 at 11:33 AM, Migual said:

Yeah if you can buy the tools they are worth every penny. You won’t believe how many bike shops don’t even use torque wrenches when working. Absolute amateurs!!!! They think they can “feel” what good enough. And when they crack your R80,000 carbon frame who pays for that; the customer.

Do you want me to laugh now or later?

I have worked on hundreds of bikes and never damages a single one. I absolutely use a torque wrench when needed, but most of us are mechanically inclined enough to not need it for every single bolt on the bike. 

Maybe 1 out of 10,000 bikes that get worked on are over torqued, which results in the cracking of a frame. And bike shops have something called insurance, which will cover that. I refuse to believe they will force the customer to pay.

But considering you are so skilled, why don't you go round the country training these mechanics, because after all, they are only "absolute amateurs" and most of them have no idea how to work on bikes. 

Some shops are guilty of bad workplace practices, but don't paint all bike shops with the same brush. The vast majority are good people earning a living.

Not so much something I learnt, but rather something I want to learn .... 

I ordered a replacement Garbaruk cage for my Sram GX AXS derailleur and is looking for an instructional video to remove and replace the cage with the new one.

So far my searches on the inter web turned out nada .... :(.

Can any one please point me in the right direction?

Learn to do the basics.

My mate bought a new to him bike a few months back, after riding it for a bit he decided he wanted some easier gearing. In typical fashion for my mate he left it to the last minute, took it to a bike shop and got them to do the work. Credit to him, he did a good few rides before heading down to PE for 70.3.

When I chatted to him after the event he mentioned the gears were jumping and he was not happy.

Once we got together in Cape Town I spent 5 minutes with the bike, adjusted the cable tension and it was pretty spot on when stationary. We then took a ride where we stopped once to make some slight changes and from there on it was 100%.