The Munga 2019

Ramrod

Is there anything Alex could have done about it?

Probably not. It's also not the 1st instance. A recent Italy Divide (2019 I think) the lead guys knocked chunks out of each other until each had little left. They crested the last climb neck and neck but faced with some dodgy conditions ahead, they realised they'd both done enough. Out of camaraderie and respect, they rode the last part and crossed the line together. I get the "it's a race, honour that" aspect, but these ultra events are also so much more than just a race too.

Of course none of this is ever something I'll have to personally make a call on fortunately - so my view is probably not typical. I'm usually at the back somewhere around dead last.

Edited by walkerr

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anything Alex could have done about it?

Yes:

Option 1: DQ both or the one that initiated it.

Option 2. Choose one, there is no way that both wheels went over exactly the same time.

He went for Option 3, which now sets a precedent and dilutes the event.

Edit: Not bashing either of the participants,well maybe I am, as I understand their motivation. But the organisers need to ......

Edited by TDFN

So what is the best type of bike to ride the Munga on?

Some will say a HT gravel bike. Others will say a dual sus MTB. Some will say carbon, some will say titanium. Some will say tribars and drops, some will say you don't even need bar ends.

The wisest of them all will say what ever won this year...............................

I think it is safe to say that, if you are that type of special rider that can endure this mammoth task of physical and mental strength then you can ride what ever you feel comfortable on for 1078 odd km.

Agreed, and I still have an an issue with the contrived finish. Also disappointed with the fact that Alex allowed this. Cumbaya and all feel good aspects aside, it is bad for the sport. Well that is my opinion.

In the past when I have come to the finish of an endurance event and have been with another for a period of time. You make the call to either gift the position to the opponent, or you take the position.

You do not "share" it is bad for the sport (any sport).

Perhaps you need to rethink your opinion of what "sport" is. 

Sure we all have a competitive edge and we like to win but sometimes (and very rarely it must be said) circumstances or specific occurences rise above the typical HULK SMASH mind set.

One man's contrived finish is two men's mutual respect.

Just some food for thought...

Perhaps you need to rethink your opinion of what "sport" is. 

Sure we all have a competitive edge and we like to win but sometimes (and very rarely it must be said) circumstances or specific occurences rise above the typical HULK SMASH mind set.

One man's contrived finish is two men's mutual respect.

Just some food for thought...

I have no issue with mutual respect, but if there is a race, sponsors and prize money, you need to honour the spirit of the race. Because this is what it is, A race.

The event is sold as: THE TOUGHEST RACE ON EARTH. 

Not a fun-ride or mass participation event. There are sponsors and the future of the event as it is to consider.

In my mind, this contrived result has relegated to the event to something akin to an Audax for MTB. If that is what Alex is is wanting to achieve than all good. If not he is doing the event harm by allowing the result to stand as it. Well he has so it is done.

I am just offering comment as it is an event that I have been wanting to enter, but finances have not allowed for the last two years. Now my perception of the event has been changed. Now that it is no longer a race, I have nothing to really measure myself against, so why spend the money. I may as well just do a social ride over the same or similar route as the result will be the same.

By that I mean, the race ended in Ceres, so why have it finish in Wellington.

I wonder how these guys decided? German national road champs 2019. I reckon the only way is Rock, Paper, Scissors. This solves all issues.

attachicon.gifCORVOS_00031209-022.jpg

You do know that there was still a 1,2,3 result even though the time was the same. There was still only one person on the top step of the podium.

"Schachmann led the trio into the closing kilometer. Although they were all together again with 400 meters to go, the win went to Schachmann. All three riders raised their arms in victory as they crossed the line."

This just proves my point.

Edited by TDFN

I have no issue with mutual respect, but if there is a race, sponsors and prize money, you need to honour the spirit of the race. Because this is what it is, A race.

Not a fun-ride or mass participation event. There are sponsors and the future of the event as it is to consider.

In my mind, this contrived result has relegated to the event to something akin to an Audax for MTB. If that is what Alex is is wanting to achieve than all good. If not he is doing the event harm by allowing the result to stand as it. Well he has so it is done.

I am just offering comment as it is an event that I have been wanting to enter, but finances have not allowed for the last two years. Now my perception of the event has been changed. Now that it is no longer a race, I have nothing to really measure myself against, so why spend the money. I may as well just do a social ride over the same or similar route as the result will be the same.

Why dont you then aim for Ramses's record?

Sounds like just finishing this race wont be a problem for you (the 50 odd people that scratched this year probably also felt it was a waste just to finish after they heard what happened)

Edited by Escapee..

The spirit of the race? You mean people supporting riders that have no hope of winning, wishing people who got scratched well for next year or supporting riders who have been scratched that decided to finish the route unsupported anyway?

Even someone as black and white as you has to apreciate that this is not your average one day classic. Finishing is the greatest aim of most people in this race - not winning.

I don't think this will have any effect on sponsorship or the future of the race.

"No longer a race"? It has only happened once.

It still is a race, your perception is wrong.

Just because the organiser did not DQ / penalise the winners does not change that.

What happened out there between these 2, only they know and this should be respected, they also trained and made sacrifices to get there and we’re obviously happy to share the honours.

At the finish line and prize giving, what would you have done if you were the organiser?

Having read a lot of comments on the opinions of the race (and the decision to share the 1st spot) and seems that it ranges from:

• this is what is wrong in the world, the death of the race's future, pandering to the new age we all good, waste of time after those that followed it invested so much time and emotions on who will win and how close it will be...

• This was a true reflection of sportmanship, when the two riders found their inner selfs there on the road and recognised their fellow participant more as a brother than someone you need to beat in the ground, something the world needs more of to heal a divisive world.

For me, it sometimes feel like some hubber here make their point, and then again and then again (or either side of the argument), and not sure again what the purpose is to repeat sometimes the same point over and over. 

For me, I liked how it ended (but that is based on my outlook to life), and I will continue to watch and be excited about the Munga, from the first person over the line till the last (irrespective if they did it before or after the cut-off).  As for me the Munga is a race which tests the riders mental strength, going into deep corners of their mind, lay bare their own failings and insecurities (and with a pinch of luck) overcome it all and roll over the line.  

Why do you say classy ? Just asking why, not wanting  to start a whole bunch of negative stuff.

looks like a normal post of his ride and finish ? While polished, it is not classy.

What makes it classy, for me, is that he acknowledges the difficulty of the race, his opponent, the process to get there and lastly, his support. He does it in a polished manner, well constructed if you will.

Race result notwithstanding, and even with how little I know of him, KB seems to a decent/classy oke.

Actually, you're all wrong.

You're trying to pass off your opinion as fact. It isn't. TDFN has his opinion, SwissVan is telling him it's wrong. Others like the Cumbaya, others are telling other they 'HAVE' to respect the decision by the riders.... BOLLOCKS!

It's opinion after opinion and not one is 'correct', so agree to disagree and move on. 

None of you are right, so stop trying to force each other to come around to your way of seeing the match fixing