How to use your car's spare wheel and jack to fix a shower door

Piernas Flacas

Have you ever had a derailed shower door that doesn't want to go back onto the rails?

Did you try to lift it, kick it, push it and hit it with a mullet and still wouldn't budge?

Well, here's a simple and elegant solution.

You will need:

1 x car spare wheel (doesn't have to be new or mag, size depending on distance from wall to shower less about 40 cm)

1 x car jack (scissor type with a range up to 40 cm)

1 x cycling sokkie (new or old, doesn't matter)

Step 1: Make sure no one is in the shower

Step 2: Place all tools as per photo below

Step 3: Turn, turn, turn the jack slowly until you hear a loud bang which means door rollers are back in place

Step 4: If the whole shower enclosure didn't collapse, repeat on the the other side

Next installment: how to clean car tyre marks from walls and bathroom tiles.

post-2387-0-48553100-1568110430_thumb.jpg

Surely the rollers are adjustable? Mine are. I can adjust mine up and down, just like my aluminium sliding door rollers.

I couldn't even find the way to disassemble part of the frame to get access to the rollers. Couldn't dismount the door either. Looks like the whole shower frame and door were assembled in the factory. 

I couldn't even find the way to disassemble part of the frame to get access to the rollers. Couldn't dismount the door either. Looks like the whole shower frame and door were assembled in the factory. 

So now the big question is, what were you doing in the shower to have the door come off the rails? I have heard of people singing in the shower, were you at a rock concert?

I'm guessing the tyre can be replaced by anything around the house that gives a little... For example instead of lugging a tyre into the shower and asking your better half to hold it up while you do the jack work... You could just ask your fat oom Piet to help and make use of his large beer belly

Edited by Stretch

I'm guessing the tyre can be replaced by anything around the house that gives a little... For example instead of lugging a tyre into the shower and asking your better half to hold it up while you do the jack work... You could just ask your fat oom Piet to help and make use of his large beer belly

In the same way that you can use the family pet as a replacement for the sock.. :) It works in theory, just not as well.

Oom was unavailable at the moment :-) I thought of piece of wood strong enough but couldn't find one around. So I had to think out of the box and because I the jack was part of the solution I thought, hey, might as well bring the wheel too!

I honestly wish I'd tried this at my old flat - I had a similar shower that was impossible to get the bottom wheels in without something similar (for the top you could remove the corner connector and slide the door in, but the bottom corner connector and rails were obviously fixed to the shower base. Almost drove me insane as I couldn't get it fixed properly. 

I honestly wish I'd tried this at my old flat - I had a similar shower that was impossible to get the bottom wheels in without something similar (for the top you could remove the corner connector and slide the door in, but the bottom corner connector and rails were obviously fixed to the shower base. Almost drove me insane as I couldn't get it fixed properly. 

Exactly my problem. I couldn't even find a screw to try and take the whole frame apart and re-fit.