I want to switch to 29er

Oscardw

Hello hubbers,

My bike, Scott Genius 750 (2018), has the ability to switch between 27"+ and 29", and now I'm interested to do exactly that. 

The reason is mainly because my bike has quite a low BB, and I believe 29er will be able to just add a few needed centimeters. I just want to know if it's possible to trade my current 27"+ wheelsets for 29ers?

I have the following:

Rims: Syncros X-30s, 32 hole, 30mm

Hubs: Front - Shimano HB-M6010-B CL, 15x110mm

Rear - Shimano FH-M6010 CL, 12x148mm

Tires: Maxxis Recon 2.8"

I also have a Shimano CS-HG50-10 speed cassette, which I believe is not compatible with Sram XD hubs, but in the future I'd probably want to upgrade to Sram SX/NX and I don't know if XD hubs and Shimano cassetes are compatible for the time being?

What can I expect to get for my wheelset aswell?

Thanks in advance!

I can't provide much insight on the wheels, but if you are planning on going with Sram NX in future, you will be able to use a standard freebody as the NX (50-11) doesn't require the XD driver - this is only needed if you want to go for GX or higher in the range.

Have a look in the classifieds, lots of good deals on 29er wheels.

I suspect you may struggle to sell the 27+ wheels as I don't believe there is a big market for them. 

Hello hubbers,

The reason is mainly because my bike has quite a low BB, and I believe 29er will be able to just add a few needed centimeters. 

You will gain max 18mm but your CG will also be 18mm higher

You gain no height advantage between your 27.5+ and the 29er wheels, as shown by the below graphic.  

That is specifically assuming 3.0" tyres on the 27.5+ and 2.3" tyres on the 29er. If you go from 2.8" 27.5+ to 2.4" 29er you will gain some BB clearance. That said, you're not going to gain all that much I wouldn't think.

Edited by Jehosefat

You definitely do gain mm's. Went from 27.5 x 3.0 to 29 x 2.6 and there is a noticeable difference with far less pedal strikes on the 9ers.

You gain no height advantage between your 27.5+ and the 29er wheels, as shown by the below graphic.

Quite a big difference as shown here.

post-82251-0-78859500-1568235062_thumb.jpg

My 29" setup at the back, 27.5+ in the front.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

cant comment on 27+ but my latest frame accommodates  27x3.25 or 29x2.6 out of the  box. i built it 29x2.6

also..see below. Useful stuff even when you want to determine if a wheel will fit in your frame.

https://www.bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math

as per the images...you'll see that even a 3.0 650b wheel and tire will comein shorter than a 29x2.6 (754mm vs 736mm)

post-64325-0-13549500-1568264168_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-48692700-1568264176_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

Quite a big difference as shown here.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20190911-225023_Gallery.jpg

My 29" setup at the back, 27.5+ in the front.

The 29er wheel looks oval...?  I'm sure that there is some difference, depending on a few of factors, including tyre size (2.8 vs 3.0 vs 2.2 vs 2.4), pressure (this will probably have quite a big impact), rim width, etc.  Just locking out the rear on my bike reduces pedal strike quite a bit.  At the OP, I may have a buyer for your wheels if you do decide to make the change.

The 29er wheel looks oval...? I'm sure that there is some difference, depending on a few of factors, including tyre size (2.8 vs 3.0 vs 2.2 vs 2.4), pressure (this will probably have quite a big impact), rim width, etc. Just locking out the rear on my bike reduces pedal strike quite a bit. At the OP, I may have a buyer for your wheels if you do decide to make the change.

It's definitely not oval. Point is the marketing behind 27.5+ being the same size as 29" is a load of bull. The only time it's the same is with a 29"x2.1" tyre compared to a 27.5"x3.0" tyre - both sizes people don't really use. When you compare a 2.4" 29er tyre found on most trail bikes to a 2.8" 27.5 tyre found on most plus bikes the difference in size (and bb heigt) becomes quite significant.

Just from my experience, if I put the plus wheels on my dual suspension trail bike I have a ton of pedal strikes, 29" wheels - next to nothing.

I would say 29" wheels with grippy tyres are better on a dual suspension bike, and 27.5+ tyres are great on a hardtail. Just my 2c from trying out waaay too many wheel/tyre combos.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Both wheels are on the ground. Wheels are mounted through the hub or the center point of the wheel. The net increase of ground clearance is therefore half of what is shown in the pic

Both on the ground, so yes, BB height increases by about 10mm - which is quite significant when it comes to pedal strikes.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Although each wheel is on the ground the overall difference still counts. If the wheels were centred the 27.5 would be smaller by the difference when grounded and compared to the 9er.