Stroop . Have you watched it?

Vetseun

Humans are terrible things at the best of times, there are so many areas where I feel ashamed to be part of the species.

Odinson I get where you are coming from and I know you are very passionate about it, but there is a definite separation between something like Rhino poaching and the meat industry.

In Rhino poaching the animal isnt always dead when they hack the horn off and leave the entire carcass.

The horn doesnt actually do anything either, its a superstitious belief.

At least in the meat industry the entire animal is used, that still doesnt make it right but at least its a bit better.

Humans are terrible things at the best of times, there are so many areas where I feel ashamed to be part of the species.

Odinson I get where you are coming from and I know you are very passionate about it, but there is a definite separation between something like Rhino poaching and the meat industry.

In Rhino poaching the animal isnt always dead when they hack the horn off and leave the entire carcass.

The horn doesnt actually do anything either, its a superstitious belief.

At least in the meat industry the entire animal is used, that still doesnt make it right but at least its a bit better.

If we look at practices in typical farms, is there really that much of a difference in regards to what happens to rhinos?

Chickens: ‘useless’ male chicks are suffocated in plastic bags or dropped into a macerator. Hens have the tips of their beaks seared off by a hot blade.

Pigs: piglets have their testicles cut off and their teeth clipped without any kind of anaesthesia.

Cows, some sheep and goats: have their horns either clipped or disbudded. Again, no anaesthesia.

Sheep: have strips of skin cut off around their hindquarters (‘mulesing’).

All of these animals also end up having their throat slit/stabbed and left to bleed to death.

What we do with rhinos is wrong. What we do to farm animals is also wrong. Whether we ‘use’ the whole animal is not relevant.

According to the UN Environment Programme, the Earth is in the midst of a mass extinction of life. Scientists estimate that 150-200 species of plant, insect, bird and mammal become extinct every 24 hours. This is nearly 1,000 times the “natural” or “background” rate and, say many biologists, is greater than anything the world has experienced since the vanishing of the dinosaurs nearly 65m years ago.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/un-environment-programme_n_684562

According to the UN Environment Programme, the Earth is in the midst of a mass extinction of life. Scientists estimate that 150-200 species of plant, insect, bird and mammal become extinct every 24 hours. This is nearly 1,000 times the “natural” or “background” rate and, say many biologists, is greater than anything the world has experienced since the vanishing of the dinosaurs nearly 65m years ago.

If those numbers are right (or even half right!) then we are doing a brilliant job of decimating everything....

Get your hands on a copy of 'The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History' by Elizabeth Kolbert, if you haven't already.  

If those numbers are right (or even half right!) then we are doing a brilliant job of decimating everything....

I dunno, even half right sounds a bit far fetched

Stroop is an in depth look into the trade of rhino horn and the conservation of rhino as a species.Its got absolutely sweet nothings to do with moral dillemas and compassion. Vegan propoganda "documentaries" can not be compared to this.

Is there any chance we can keep this thread about rhino poaching and what it means for the species?

You waste your breath 

Stroop is an in depth look into the trade of rhino horn and the conservation of rhino as a species.Its got absolutely sweet nothings to do with moral dillemas and compassion. Vegan propoganda "documentaries" can not be compared to this.

Animal exploitation takes many forms. Poaching being one. Animal farming another. Why condemn the one and not the other?

Although I understand your sentiment, I must note that since humans treat fellow humans in much the same way, if not worse, then it stands to reason that animal life will continue to devalue in the eyes of mankind in general.

I am a meat eater though. I grew up on a farm. I respect life, even animal life. I don't hunt as I do not agree with the practice. I have shot animals in the past. Now, I respect all life. Even those little shongololos crawling all over the roads and single track here in Cape Town at the moment, and always try steer around them if I see them. I have no issue with ethical animal husbandry, but the blatant wholesale 'murdering' of animals for financial gain brought about by poaching and nothing else is just evil in my view. That needs to stop.

The thing I struggle with is how humanity is more up in arms about killing animals than they are about killing babies. That I just fail to grasp.

Robbie, I think you are my long lost twin brother. I concur with everything you said above. My sentiments exactly.