Bikes for Trail Riding... The start

Hairy

Not sure where my Alice fits in...BUT..for me she is a fine girl on the trails ....climbs like a dream and is sweet through the twisties ....soaks up the rough stuff and a tad slow on the downhills BUT she has 26" wheels so all good...My Alice never skips a beat...

post-136415-0-71117200-1571924794_thumb.jpg

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where my Alice fits in...BUT..for me she is a fine girl on the trails ....climbs like a dream and is sweet through the twisties ....soaks up the rough stuff and a tad slow on the downhills BUT she has 26" wheels so all good...My Alice never skips a beat...

she fits in where she belongs .... on the trails!

Seems the Octane One OMG has been released. Not much in the way of reviews or prices yet but it's on CRC with a 'coming soon' page and on the O1 site as well.

140 up front, 130 rear with a 65 head angle, 75 set angle, 438 chain stays and 29r wheels. Comes with 1x11 ad squishy bits from Manitou. 

Will be interesting to see what the price is like as their other offerings are very competitive and could be a great option at the lower end of the market. 

Looked pretty darn good in the pre-production shots. 

IMG_9431_-web.jpg

Looked a lot more 'meh' in the 1st guise of black with some so, so graphics and frankly disturbing cable management that makes all kinds of OCD alarm bells go off. 

octane-one-omg-bike.jpg

It does come with the required loam slashing, jeans n flannel sporting, Dirt-jumping-a-9'r video though... 

Pricing just in on the Octane OMG.  

1899 Euros which makes it about £1600 and a shade under R30K.

The Calibre Sentry (which is more 'enduro') is £1999 and Bossnut, the bench mark of affordable ripping bikes, is £1100 and it's big brother the Triple B is £1499. 

The Calibre Sentry (which is more 'enduro') is £1999 and Bossnut, the bench mark of affordable ripping bikes, is £1100 and it's big brother the Triple B is £1499.

That is actually quite reasonable pricing wise.

The Calibre Sentry (which is more 'enduro') is £1999 and Bossnut, the bench mark of affordable ripping bikes, is £1100 and it's big brother the Triple B is £1499. 

Aaaaaaand then you add our lovely import duties + shipping, which puts it at around R42k.

Aaaaaaand then you add our lovely import duties + shipping, which puts it at around R42k.

If you bought it like (and not just bring it back from a trip) then you'd have to drop the 20% VAT UK side and you can bet CRC will have it on a sale soon enough. Seems a coast effective brand like Dartmoor that would be picked up and brought in by a local distributor. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not all PIKES are created equal....or so I learn

I BikeHub searched "Pike Select" ans this thread was all I got...not sure if a whole new thread was needed

What are the main/material differences in the Pike range other than price and some knobs here and there

Will  a noob like me even notice?

Is it worth the extra few K price tag

Please advise as I can't seem to find specific reviews highlighting these differences.

Current offering on Sram Site being (In what I could gather ascending order of price):

Select 

Select +

DJ  (I see this only comes in 26")

RCT 3

Ultimate 

Cheers

Edited by Wheelie87

Not all PIKES are created equal....or so I learn

I BikeHub searched "Pike Select" ans this thread was all I got...not sure if a whole new thread was needed

What are the main/material differences in the Pike range other than price and some knobs here and there

Will  a noob like me even notice?

Is it worth the extra few K price tag

Please advise as I can't seem to find specific reviews highlighting these differences.

Current offering on Sram Site being (In what I could gather ascending order of price):

Select 

Select +

DJ  (I see this only comes in 26")

RCT 3

Ultimate 

Cheers

Hi There

The differences in the Pike forks are all in the damper. So the Debonair side are exactly the same. The most obvious differences to you are the settings on top of the right fork leg but they do differ "under the hood" as well. . 

The Pike select and select+ which I think was called the RC previously has a simple low speed compression dial. "Under the hood"

The Pike Select uses a slightly more elementary version of the Charger damper called the Charger RC damper. There are whole threads about it here: 

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2018-rock-shox-revelation-rc-1063027.html

It was previously only available on OEM Revelation Charger RC and Lyric Charger RC forks. 

The good news is that the damper actually performs really well. Has a slightly simpler version of the expanding bladder style but its actually similar to the FOX GRIP damper, and, as I said, Performs well. 

The RCT3 Has 3 distinct pre-set Low speed compression settings (Open- Trail-Lock), with a finer tuning dial for the open setting. This is my preferred option, since I use thee trail setting when climbing.The RCT3 has the Charger 2 or 2.1 expanding bladder style damper with a pre-set high speed compression and the low speed compression adjustment mentioned above. 

The Pike Ultimate has the Charger RC2 damper which has independent low and high speed adjustment, but no trail mode. 

Pike Ultimate, Is the ultimate, but I think to you it will be the ultimate minefield. 

To simplify, If you're going to use a "trail" function a lot, get the Pike Select.

If budget is not a problem, the RCT3 with 3 position low speed is nice to have. 

However, they all are serious forks and can handle pretty gnarly stuff. Only when ridden really hard  will you exploit the benefits of your hard earned cash in the higher end models. The higher end Pikes might feel slightly smoother, since the new ones have a soft HSC tune, but If thats all you're after, get a Reba. 

Hi There

The differences in the Pike forks are all in the damper. So the Debonair side are exactly the same. The most obvious differences to you are the settings on top of the right fork leg but they do differ "under the hood" as well. .

The Pike select and select+ which I think was called the RC previously has a simple low speed compression dial. "Under the hood"

The Pike Select uses a slightly more elementary version of the Charger damper called the Charger RC damper. There are whole threads about it here:

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2018-rock-shox-revelation-rc-1063027.html

It was previously only available on OEM Revelation Charger RC and Lyric Charger RC forks.

The good news is that the damper actually performs really well. Has a slightly simpler version of the expanding bladder style but its actually similar to the FOX GRIP damper, and, as I said, Performs well.

The RCT3 Has 3 distinct pre-set Low speed compression settings (Open- Trail-Lock), with a finer tuning dial for the open setting. This is my preferred option, since I use thee trail setting when climbing.The RCT3 has the Charger 2 or 2.1 expanding bladder style damper with a pre-set high speed compression and the low speed compression adjustment mentioned above.

The Pike Ultimate has the Charger RC2 damper which has independent low and high speed adjustment, but no trail mode.

Pike Ultimate, Is the ultimate, but I think to you it will be the ultimate minefield.

To simplify, If you're going to use a "trail" function a lot, get the Pike Select.

If budget is not a problem, the RCT3 with 3 position low speed is nice to have.

However, they all are serious forks and can handle pretty gnarly stuff. Only when ridden really hard will you exploit the benefits of your hard earned cash in the higher end models. The higher end Pikes might feel slightly smoother, since the new ones have a soft HSC tune, but If thats all you're after, get a Reba.

Shot a lot dude

Much appreciated

Will do some more homework

Not really sure what exactly the trail mode does....I'm coming from a Recon so bear with me haha

A Pike will be a huge step up from a Recon, no matter what the model. It is a more complex fork, so some setup to get the volume spacers, pressure, rebound and compression will take a little time.

A Pike will be a huge step up from a Recon, no matter what the model. It is a more complex fork, so some setup to get the volume spacers, pressure, rebound and compression will take a little time.

Time is what I have.

I'm just trying to think a little bit more long term ito what to get but I'm on a tight budget...so select I reckon

Time is what I have.

I'm just trying to think a little bit more long term ito what to get but I'm on a tight budget...so select I reckon

Select on sale at Evobikes now. Just saying